Rim/tire direction - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Rim/tire direction

I took my front tire off and took it to my local shop to have them mount and balance it this morning. When I stopped back to pick it up I noticed that the directional arrow on the rim and the directional on the tire are not the same.

I brought this to the service guys attention and he said me mounted the tire the same direction as the one he took off. Which was the stock tire. He said that one must have been on backwards. He said there should be no problems with putting the rim on with the directional arrow wrong, and just make sure the tire is right.

It looks like the spacers and the rotors are the same on both sides, so I figured he was right and took it along home.

Just wondering if there is any reason to take it back and have them switch it?

Thanks, Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 01:18 PM

Wasn't even aware the front had directional arrows on the rims, but I wouldn't see any problem with that. The tires have to be right however.

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Element; 01-08-2011 at 05:11 PM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Claiming that original tire was on backwards is total BS, and it's also not a good excuse. You paid them to install it properly, and should have them redo it... Having said that, it would be fine as it is.
Kawasaki dealers have sometimes initially installed the front wheel and tire assembly backwards on new Versys' when they pull them out of the shipping crate.

Last edited by invader; 01-08-2011 at 01:29 PM.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 02:41 PM

It’s a good thing it was the front... because the “mechanic” was a schmuck!

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

Actually, I believe we've had a few members have their stock front tires mounted backwards. It's totally possible.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Well once the tire was off there was no way to prove one way or the other, and I wasn't about to get into a pissin' contest over it. He did offer to change it, but I said as long as it wasn't a problem not to worry about it. They're cool and don't hose me for a tire change and balance, and they don't make me wait.

In the end I turned out to be the schmuck, I went to mount the wheel back on the bike and put the tread pattern the way I "thought" it should go and sure enough it was in backwards per the directional arrows on the tire. So I turned it around and magically the arrows on the rim and the arrows on the tire both go the same direction. It's a good thing I didn't have him switch the tire, cause I would have really looked like an arse going back in and telling him he was right. So I guess the stock tire was on correct.

Sorry for all the confusion, I was just expecting the tire to have the tread pattern going the other way. I should have looked at the directional marks on the tire and not assume... It's a Bridgestone BT023.

Mike
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 05:10 PM

A natural mistake, the tread direction is reversed from the front to rear, I assume for hydroplaning physics. Looks strange, but it must work better that way.

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 08:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post
Actually, I believe we've had a few members have their stock front tires mounted backwards. It's totally possible.
Like I mentioned, some have had their wheel and tire ASSEMBLY originally mounted backwards on the bike, not the tire mounted backwards on the rim.

Last edited by invader; 01-08-2011 at 09:03 PM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 10:18 PM

Okay, okay... In that case I apologize to your mechanic

PS Edit:

Hey WindWalker,

In rereading this post, it sounds like I might have been transferring my original comment to you. I wasn’t... You’re entitled to an `amateur mistake pass’. It's just that it drives me nuts when so called “professional mechanics” do these things.

My buddy took his KLR to a shop this summer for a front brake rotor & caliper upgrade because he didn’t think he was up to doing the job himself and he `wanted it done right’. A few days later his brother noticed that one of his caliper bolts was missing and the other was finger tight! Then he had them install a high output stator... shortly thereafter the bolts backed out of that and tore up everything in the housing!!

Last edited by Hardware; 01-08-2011 at 11:22 PM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 02:50 AM

My front wheel has been been miss-mached with the tire direction for 6K km now.
I worried at first but then I forgot.
It was the lousy shop that did it.
I'll make sure it's correctly mounted next time to even things out.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 03:05 AM

There is an direction arrow on the rim hub and also on the tyre.
They both must be in the same direction .

Those joker workshops will just deny anything if you have a crash for some reason or other. ASSUME makes an Ass out of U and Me. and normally we are the Ass and then it's too late.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

It's all cool.

My ducks are all in a row, or should I say arrows. Like I said this was my mistake, and not the shop. I made an assumption on tire direction and that was the problem. I used to be sponsored by this shop when I raced off road, they are all new people now, but they always treat me right. It's a Yamaha shop and he was telling me all about the new 1200 Super Tenere. He said he has two sold on order and has a dealer show tomorrow where he will actually get to see it. He even invited me to come along so I could check it out. I smiled and said I'm pretty happy with my Versys, but you know how people are, always needing soming different... It would be a hard sell to beat the Versys for sure, it just has too many things going for it. Heck for me even the BMW F800 didn't win my heart over the V.

I pretty much do everything myself and have changed hundreds of off road tires, but for $20 to mount and balance it seems hardly worth my trouble to scratch up my rim and try and balance. (without buying something) The cool thing about the road tires is they only need changing about every 9-10K miles. On my dirt bikes when I was racing they would get a rear directional swap after 1st race and replaced after the second race. I used to sell the "two race" tires to the local kids for coal strippin'. Even my dual sports would eat tires in 2k miles. So 9-10K on the V is pretty sweet.

Sorry for the bogus post. Didn't mean to start anything.

But atleast a few will now know there are arrows on the rim as well. The picture above shows the arrow on the rim, there is also one on one of the spokes as well.

Mike
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindWalker View Post
I pretty much do everything myself and have changed hundreds of off road tires, but for $20 to mount and balance it seems hardly worth my trouble...
Oh, well in that case you don’t have amateur standing and your free pass is hereby revoked.

Kidding aside, I often think front tires look like they’re on backwards at first glance and I believe it’s a sort of optical illusion because my eye is initially drawn to the top of the tire where the tread appears upside down & backwards i.e., as if the diagonals in the tread would channel water towards the center (//\\) instead of away from it (\\//)

If my shop would do a proper mount & balance for $20 I’d probably let them do it. Sadly they charge $35 each (when buying the tires from them and with me taking the wheels off & on the bike), they do a lousy job (they didn’t even clean the crud off of the bead surface area) and they have a “we’ll do it when we get to it” attitude.

Have a good one

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
What I've done, is take a permanent black marker and "high-lite" the arrow on the rims so it 'sticks out'.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode