What size of Givi Topcase? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 01:48 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
What size of Givi Topcase?

I can't pull the trigger between the v46 topcase or the E55? Does anyone have either and what does it look like on the bike? I am looking to get the plx v35givi side cases as well or does anyone have a better idea? I am looking for practicality as well as appearance of the bike. I am just thinking that the E55 givi topcase might be just to big and with side cases it might be way to much-I don't know, any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 03:01 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
H & B Bags. I think its 40 over lit

Original Kawa bags-Givi.

not using top bag but tail bag.

post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribeye View Post
I can't pull the trigger between the v46 topcase or the E55? Does anyone have either and what does it look like on the bike?
46 was my pick. I mounted to a SW Motech Alu-Rack. I have the NT case that has the clear lenses instead of all the red.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 05:40 AM

Garage
I had the V-46 sold it and got the E-55 for me the 55 was the way to go more room. added the admore light kit and givi liner for the case. Here are some photos of both. the first 3 are with the 46 the next 3 are the 55 the with the givi rack and top case then rack alone and the last is how i have the bike last time i was able to be in the same place it was back in october.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 01-23-2011 at 07:06 AM.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 05:53 AM

More room is typically better, but be careful putting a lot of weight in a top case. A substantial mass high and aft will change the way the bike handles, especially in an evasive maneuver. I have Givi V35 side bags and a Give E52 top case. I load the side bags first to keep the load low and if I need more room I add the top case with lighter stuff. Leaving the top case partially full while riding leaves room for your helmet when parked.

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 06:04 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
More room is typically better, but be careful putting a lot of weight in a top case. A substantial mass high and aft will change the way the bike handles, especially in an evasive maneuver. I have Givi V35 side bags and a Give E52 top case. I load the side bags first to keep the load low and if I need more room I add the top case with lighter stuff. Leaving the top case partially full while riding leaves room for your helmet when parked.

Good Point. But i've had the 55 stuffed like a thanksgiving turkey and couldn't tell it was there on my trip to and from st.louis,mo & ft.worth,tx. only thing with the extra weight driving at night a few people thought i had the bright lights on.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 08:14 AM

Agree with Bones.
Had the E52 before. E55 would be a good top box with ample space (2 full size helmets) when you don't mount the side bags (sometimes for easy lane filtering in traffic).
Also has those wonderful brake aux light that look great at night.
Plus can add the back rest for the enjoyment for your co-rider.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 08:17 AM

I'm trying to make the same decision. Do you think it would look really odd with either of these, and Trax sidebags. The Trax are so square, and these are rounded. I want something that I could put 2 helmets in, and that my gf can use as a backrest.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 08:31 AM

Guess it would be ideal to have all trax side bags with the trax top case but the top case only 38L volume.
I would say function before form. Especially if you need the carrying capacity.

If for a 2 helmet top case capability, only the Givi E55/52 will suffice.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 08:44 AM

While I have a hard case 42L, I find that it reduces my options for carrying additional stuff (bags of dog food). I remove the box and use soft bags when going far for flexibility. I also don't like the boxes sticking out as far as they do with a top case. Looks funny on sports bikes.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 09:08 AM

I have the E-52. If I had to do it again I would buy the E-55. What I use it for primarily is to keep it mostly empty, and when I'm not riding lock the moto gear I'm wearing into it. It is also nice to throw in valuables from the unlockable tank bag at long stops. It's also nice for Gazetteers of the states I'm riding in.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 09:23 AM

Get a BIG one!!!
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 09:28 AM

Just got the V46...love it!

55 looks too massive for me...I know its function over form, but DAMN that 55 is too big for the V!
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I had the V-46 sold it and got the E-55 for me the 55 was the way to go more room. added the admore light kit and givi liner for the case. Here are some photos of both. the first 3 are with the 46 the next 3 are the 55 the with the givi rack and top case then rack alone and the last is how i have the bike last time i was able to be in the same place it was back in october.
Thanks, for the pics, I now know what topcase I am going with it is for sure the E55. It appears about the same yet alittle bigger. It looks like the topcase is not as tall as the 46 yet just a tad wider. I believe it will be more efficiant as well.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 01:28 PM

Ive got the 447s on the sides, and the 46 on top. Works well for me. There's enough room in the topcase to use it by itself for short trips and around town, and I can carry enough for myself and a passenger on longer rides if you pack carefully.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 08:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribeye View Post
Thanks, for the pics, I now know what topcase I am going with it is for sure the E55. It appears about the same yet alittle bigger. It looks like the topcase is not as tall as the 46 yet just a tad wider. I believe it will be more efficiant as well.
If you don't mind spend a little extra and get the liner for the case looks great and things don't slide all over the place. Also if you add a light kit it hides the wiring.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Last edited by weljo2001; 01-05-2011 at 08:36 PM.
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 10:36 PM

A while back another person was really debating...here is the link to that thread: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=10162

I personally went with the Givi E-55 and am quite pleased! I thought it might be too large and especially when it arrived I thought it was too large. Though after having it on the bike I think it is a great fit! My pillion rode with and without the topcase/backrest feature and stated that she loved having it on there. Felt better to her and helped relax her a bit...which made handling the bike easier. Once you have it on, you won't even notice it is there. Very nice product! BTW, I have the interior liner.

Measurements for cases if you were wondering...it really isn't physically that much bigger.

The information below is from their website (I = Internet) but with my Givi E-55 case came a booklet (M = Manual) showing other Givi products. The reason I mention this is because the measurements for the Givi V46 contradicts.

Givi has the following dimensions: H x L x W (L = Length and in this situation it is measured like a television going from top corner to bottom corner on opposite sides.)

(I) Givi V46: 310 x 440 x 555 mm (12.20 x 17.32 x 21.85 inches)

(M) Givi V46: 320 x 430 x 565 mm (12.59 x 16.92 x 22.24 inches)

(I&M) Givi E52: 315 x 447 x 593 mm (12.40 x 17.59 x 23.34 inches)

(I&M) Givi E55: 320 x 480 x 590 mm (12.59 x 18.89 x 23.22 inches)

One inch equals roughly 25.4 mm.

Also, OVERKILL with pics...though some people stated that my picture taking skills need work, you can decide.

2009 GREEN Kawasaki Versys

post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 10:37 PM

2009 GREEN Kawasaki Versys

post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 10:51 PM

46 on top
35's on the sides

post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 10:53 PM

Garage
i wish they had the black case available when i got mine.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode