Protecting your hearing - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Protecting your hearing

Despite the feeling of being invulnerable that we ALL have when we're young , as we age, SOMETIMES we get the realization that some of the choices we made while younger were NOT in our best interests . Choices such as listening to music through headphones - LOUD; sitting near the front at rock concerts; shooting sports WITHOUT ear muffs - you get the idea.

I've had a hearing aid for the last 22 years, now two of them for the last couple, and I wear ear plugs now ALL THE TIME while I ride (so as to protect what LITTLE hearing I've still got), which is why I've started this thread.

Remember the old advertising jingle - "You can pay me NOW, or pay me LATER!" Please look at the picture I'm attaching, and .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aids vs plugs.jpg (211.8 KB, 107 views)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
SOOOOOO true, however from our own experience, you know this be true... you can tell 'em & tell 'em... Don't mean they're gonna listen...

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 12:37 PM

Good advice, I probably shouldn't were earbuds and listen to the MP3 while riding, but I try to keep the volume reasonable.

My Album:

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 12:45 PM

I preach about ear plugs to everyone but they don't hear...
Get it?

If you are new to ear plugs and don't know what to get, start with this assortment and see what works:
http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/unfoamtrialp1.html

I had best experience with these:
http://www.howardleight.com/earplugs/laser-lite
Completely cancel Versys' engine noise.

Aren't most of you geezers married? It has to work well with the wife.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan v View Post
i preach about ear plugs to everyone but they don't hear...
Get it?

If you are new to ear plugs and don't know what to get start with this assortment and see what works:
http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/unfoamtrialp1.html

i had best experience with these:
completely cancel versys' engine noise.

Aren't most of you geezers married? It has to work well with the wife.
huh!!?? Whadya say!?

:d

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 12:46 PM

Yup, wife says I'm going to go deaf listening to my stereo, "What?"

My Album:
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I was amazed by the noise I got when I first bought my bike last spring.
I tried some earplugs but I felt I was too "separated" from the road ( more than in my car).

The solution came with the Givi windshield, especially after I lifted up a little bit more.
Now the top of the windshield is about my mouth level.
Now I can listen to my mp3 with a custom in helmet speakers to a low level ( I can hear the engine noise while idling) and I can hear the music up to 90km/h. MUCH better

Versys 2015 Green
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 01:09 PM

They sell those "Hearos" soft foam earplugs at Walgreens, and they come with a nifty little plastic canister to hold a pair of them. I keep em' in the front pocket of my jacket.

They make a world of difference, not just in hearing, but in fatigue reduction. On a long day, the constant wind noise robs you of energy. Putting in the plugs REALLY helps with that.

EDIT: also - I was worried about feeling 'disconnected' from the road, but that's not the case. I can still hear/feel the engine. What the plugs do is cut down the droning of the wind. The more variable noises come through fine.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 02:12 PM

i wear hearos, peltor "skull screws" or my ultimate ears superfi isolating headphones and some low volume music (very rarely).

i hope to have some custom molds made soon.

im 32 and i've damaged my hearing enough as a musician.. i need to protect what i've got!

"What doesn't kill me postpones the inevitable"
"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes"
09 Versys, Kawi Green
ATGATT!!

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 02:23 PM

I never ride without ear plugs but or course I spent the entire 1970's at the flat track races never wearing any hearing protection and now my wife tells me all the time Im not hearing her:-)
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 03:54 PM

Used to be a disco dj in Manila in the distant past, now have a slight ringing in my ear. I also use hearos from Wally World, cuts the wind noise (i wear a modular helmet) and keeps me relaxed and focused on the road & traffic while riding.

Gerald
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 07:12 PM

WHAT? WHAT DO YOU SAY? WHAT, SOMMETHING ABOUT WEARING EARPLUGS? WAIT.

They are off now. I wear plugs all the time. Engine noise it's not a biggie. However, I can't stand wind noise. Helmet has a lot to do with it. Although there is no such a thing as quiet helmet, modulars seem to be louder than full face. Will probably switch to a full face next season. I use a set of reusable earplugs I get from the home depot. They bring noise down quite a bit while still been able to hear traffic around. If a new helmet does not help quieting things more down I will probably give a shot at a pair of high end custom molded earplugs.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 08:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Legal speeds of 65mph can produce wind noise levels at 103dB SPL-sound pressure level, (chainsaw, pneumatic drill). This noise is loud enough to cause TTS (Temporary Threshold Shift ) in your hearing, tinnitus and permanent ear damage.

http://www.hearingtestlabs.com/motorcycle.htm

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 08:45 PM

Huh? What's that dear?

A couple bits of advice:

I am a competitive shooter and I also work many top level matches around the country as a range official. For several weeks a year I LIVE in hearing protection 10 - 12 hours a day. I also do enough other noisy hobbies that I used to go through a lot of those disposable foam plugs and bought them by the case. Several years ago I developed a contact allergy to the foam plugs. I changed brands going through everything I could find and all of them caused massive problems (pain, swelling, etc.) within a few minutes of wearing them.

My audiologist did a set of custom silicone plugs for me (health insurance paid 90%) and they work great. VERY comfortable. If the wife gets to snoring too much I just pop those in and go right back to sleep.

For shooting I also "double plug" in that I wear plugs and over the ear protection. When you run 700 shooters with some VERY loud compensated firearms you want everything you can get.

I have been very, very careful about my hearing for the last 20 years. I only wish I had been as careful for the first 25 or so. 40% loss in my right ear, 15% in my left. Hearing aids are in my future for sure. And those things ain't cheap!

Most large gun shows generally have someone who will make custom molds for you on the spot. Takes less than an hour. They don't always have the hypo-allergenic silicone available but the stuff they have is pretty good. They don't cost that much and are WELL worth the cost.

And, if you get them with a string between them get one of those ID badge holder clips and you can clip the string to your collar so you don't lose them as easily.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Legal speeds of 65mph can produce wind noise levels at 103dB SPL-sound pressure level, (chainsaw, pneumatic drill). This noise is loud enough to cause TTS (Temporary Threshold Shift ) in your hearing, tinnitus and permanent ear damage.

http://www.hearingtestlabs.com/motorcycle.htm

Tinnitus is not fun....it can make one go offside/crazy...at least there is drugs for that nowadays. The plugs that kimel is speaking about are in my future, the others I've tried just don't cut it.

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan V View Post
I had best experience with these:
Completely cancel Versys' engine noise.
these and hearoos are the ones i use. my cousin and i split a box of leights from amazon, something like 25 bucks for 200 pairs. that was a few years ago, i get several uses per pair. so i'd say it's quite a bargain. i don't use them for short scoots on surface streets. but rides of 60 min and/or 60mph requires earplugs.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

=>
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 09:14 PM

We wear blue tooth headsets when we ride. I wish I could wear something that allowed me to hear my wife but canceled out the other noise.

I just got a (larger) CalSci windscreen. Hopefully it'll reduce the noise enough for that sweet spot.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by objectuser View Post
I wish I could wear something that allowed me to hear my wife but canceled out the other noise.
Hmmm...been married long? Lots of guys seem to want quite the opposite.

(sure hope my wife doesn't read this forum!)

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 09:27 PM

Over 15 years. We actually like each other.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 11:54 PM

Yeah, just celebrated 15 with mine in October. Had a GF once that made me wish to be struck deaf though.

2009 Kawasaki Versys

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode