Gen 1 Versys - OEM Side Racks - OPTIONS? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By special_k

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

Gen 1 Versys - OEM Side Racks - OPTIONS?

Hey all,

I just picked up a 2007 V. Super stoked to be joining the club!!

My V comes with the factory OEM side racks, I believe. I am looking for bags for it. I've been reading up as much as I can and have determined the following.. please correct me if I am wrong!

1) The Versys Givi Monokey racks are specific and other monokey cases will NOT work with the rack

2) The factory side bags are kawa branded Givi V35 PLX. (the v35 standard will NOT work)

Thus, my only options for bags are finding a set of OEMs or buying Givi V35 PLX. Is this right?

Has anyone of this forum custom made something to bolt onto the OEM rack, like a pelican case? The stock rack mounting points are not straight. The bottom points are further in to maximize luggage capacity on the V35/Kawa bags.

What's my least expensive option to get some luggage on there?
Rotten Ronnie likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 02:08 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Rotten Ronnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by special_k View Post
Hey all,

My V comes with the factory OEM side racks, I believe. I am looking for bags for it. I've been reading up as much as I can and have determined the following.. please correct me if I am wrong!

1) The Versys Givi Monokey racks are specific and other monokey cases will NOT work with the rack

2) The factory side bags are kawa branded Givi V35 PLX. (the v35 standard will NOT work)

Thus, my only options for bags are finding a set of OEMs or buying Givi V35 PLX. Is this right?

Has anyone of this forum custom made something to bolt onto the OEM rack, like a pelican case? The stock rack mounting points are not straight. The bottom points are further in to maximize luggage capacity on the V35/Kawa bags.

Following this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Kawasaki Versys 650, 2001 Honda XR400R (street plated)
Ride Reports and other drivel:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

Old Thread

I just added a thread in how to. It took me a while to find the post, luckily I remembered the members name , kind of unique and north of my neck of the woods. Iceman73

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...vi-others.html

This is in comment to what many said couldn't be done on the 07 Versys

As you can see, not magic, this photo shows the rear mounting of the 451 FZ Givi rack

This photo shows the side I put very little stuff in, as it would always fall out, unless I took it off the bike. And That is why I bought the Trekker cases instead of getting the 2015 650ABS LT, where a regular helmet will not fit in, the V35 was tight but doable

This is with the E46 removed and sitting to the left among all the other junk in the garage

Last edited by onewizard; 09-01-2017 at 07:41 PM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Hey all,

Correct. Only the Givi V35 or Kappa K33 side cases will work with the OEM racks.

Quote:

The PLX is the designation for the rack. Both the Kawasaki OEM rack and the Givi rack have the same designation, but the Kawasaki rack is different in that the passenger side rails are integrated. I have only ever seen a Givi V35 listed as a sidecase on their Canadian site (GIVI.CA) .

As far as the OEM side cases go, I believe the stockers are Kawasaki-branded V35 cases. Kappa are a cousin to Givi (kinda like Ford and Mercury back in the day), so Kappa cases fit Givi racks and vice-versa. In my experience, Kappa are also less costly. I have owned two Kappa top cases (K35 and K46 Monolock), and I have no complaints.

So, your options are
- OEM side cases
- Givi V35
- Kappa K33N (https://www.kappamoto.com/cases/Monokey-Side/K33N)

I have the Givi V35 cases on mine with the Givi side racks and a Kappa KZ447 top rack.

Quote:

I've always wondered if it would be possible to create an adapter to allow a "normal" side case to be used on the PLX racks. That would certainly open up the possibilities as far as cases go. I know that Givi doesn't make one, but I wish they did. If they did, I'd consider having the E21 for the daily commute and the V35 for longer rides.

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-01-2017, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

Found a V35 set from for sale in 2016, member gave no response to PM

Last edited by onewizard; 09-27-2017 at 05:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode