Still in. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Still in.

(Pics inserted to break up the monotony of reading over 1000 words at a time!)

I reluctantly rode my Versys for what could be our last ride together, north to Austin out of central Mexico two weeks ago. I'd been thinking of selling the bike. Id been riding 2-up a lot lately, and had come to the conclusion that having a little more power on the highway would be fun. That, plus having been riding the V since June of 2008, I think I was just ready for a change. Id found a Vstrom 1000 for sale in Texas that seemed like it would be a good deal, and had decided that if I could swap out my Versys plus a couple thou for it, it would make financial sense. Even though my bike was running well, and had given me no problems over the 2-1/2 years Id had it, it was getting up there in miles, (35K), albeit most of them touring/highway miles. It had also developed the annoying cowling buzz so well described here at about 32K miles, and Id been working on getting rid of that. So Id set a minimum price of $3k for the bike and all its extras, advertised on Austins Craigslist, and here on the forum, and found about 5 people interested in the bike. I also listed it on Ebay for a 5 day auction, thinking that if my buyers dried up, I might find another that way. So I rode north figuring that if I failed to find a buyer, Id just tune the bike, put new sneakers on her, and ride back home ready to tour.

The town I live in here in Central Mexico.

Gratuitous shot of the Versys on my first solo tour through Mexico in Alamos, Sonora.

When I reached Austin, the cowling buzz had reappeared, and all the buyers I had found had disappeared with the exception of one guy who was interested, but needed to sell at least one of his 3 bikes before he could buy mine. I met with him anyway, and let him ride the Versys, which he loved, then stood around the bike discussing the models merits. He was a nice guy, and I was happy to have met him even though the deal hadnt been consummated and I took a perverse pride in converting another Versys enthusiast in the process of selling my bike. As we discussed the bike following his test ride, I became cognizant of how much I would miss this bike if I were to sell it. It had been a re-intro bike for me after a 20 year hiatus from riding, and had proven to be just about perfect in comfort, rider position, and versatility, (I like riding the occasional dirt road/track), and power. It was funky enough in appearance I had come to find myself standing around, admiring its quirky, muscular looks from the balconies of hotels Id stayed in over the years of touring. I began to ask myself: why the [email protected]#k I am selling this bike?

Another gratuitous shot of one of the pyramid ruins I've seen while touring here in Mexico near Patzcuaro.

Another gratuitous shot to keep your interest in reading on, (Tlacoltalpan, Tabasco).

Yet another shot of some of the great places I've been on the Versys.

After the showing/test ride, I began to worry about the Ebay Auction that had only a couple of hours left before its close. Although no one had bid on the bike yet, there were 9 people watching the auction. What if one of them actually stepped up and bought the bike? Then Id either have to buy the Vstrom, or find another Versys, and outfit it with the $1700 worth of touring extras Id put on mine. I went straight to my room and cancelled the auction immediately, (which Id publicly reserved the right to do), and called Central Texas Power Sports in Georgetown, (which had been recommended to me in another thread here on the forum by bultaco), and scheduled a tune up, new tires, and ordered a spare clutch cable thinking it might be a good thing to carry in my touring kit with all those miles on her.

That night checking the forum I found my test rider had joined and posted his first post, an enthusiastic endorsement of the Kawasaki Versys following his ride of my aging beauty. That only further reinforced my decision to keep her, and I went to bed happy to be done with the separation anxiety Id been experiencing during the past week in anticipation of parting with mi moto.

You know the drill by now... Tlacoltalpan, Tabasco.

Later that week I picked up the bike from the shop, (Central Texas Power Sports), and have to give them a ringing endorsement. They accomplished all the work Id requested, including a valve adjustment, which Id added at the last minute, at a price which was a fraction of that quoted by another local Kawasaki shop. They also provided tires at a better price than I could have found on the internet, and installed them for almost nothing. BTW, out of curiosity I had them check the compression while they were putting new plugs in and they registered 205 on the left, and 210 on the right, which the mechanic said was just what it should read when new. If anybody knows what the actual specs for a new V's compression should be, please chime in.

No comment.

About a day after I picked the bike up, I got a call from my test rider, saying that things had changed for him, and he wanted to negotiate a price on the bike, but I told him having put new sneakers on her, and doing the tune-up had changed the financial equation I had for making it worthwhile, and wished him luck in finding a used Versys that suited his needs.

Reviewing my decision to keep the Versys, some of the factors that influenced my decision:

1. Even though I rode a lot of 2-up these days, I have a lot of buddies around here with KLRs and I do enjoy the occasional foray with them onto dirt tracks and trails, and I believe the extra weight of the Vstrom would have deterred me from taking it on some of the rides Id done with the crew.
2. On the 2-up/power concern, I began to review just how often that had actually been an issue, and could only come up with the time I was trying to pass a single rider on a Harley on and 9000 ft pass in the Rockies traveling at 80MPH, (BTW, if there had been more twists on that road, I'd have taken him, IMO).
3. I began to consider that I at least knew the history of my bike, and that the wear and tear of the miles Id racked up touring 300-600 miles per day could easily be surpassed by a fraction of those miles racked up by an everyday commuter on any bike Id replace mine with.
4. Thought Id miss the nimbleness of the Versys on the twisties, even though I know the Vstrom is a great bike also.
5. Thought about riding the much heavier, more powerful bike around the cobbled streets where I live, and decided the Versys was better suited to the local terrain.

Some of the less well traveled roads I've ridden the Versys, (between Zimapan and San Joaquin in the Sierra Gordas.

One afterthought I'll add here is what a great a decision it's been for me to get back into motorcycling back in 2008, and how perfect the Versys was as a choice of reintro bike for me. It's taken me to many great and interesting places, and I've met a great group of people, including my very sweet girlfriend, in my travels, as well as online here on this forum. Now Im back in Mexico, and leave for a tour to southern Mexico/Guatemala next week on the freshly kitted Versys. So I just wanted to let my friends here know that the rumors of my departure from the world of Versys riders and this forum have been greatly exaggerated. Looking forward to reading the ongoing tales of fellow V riders here, on this, one of the most civil and informative motorcycle forums on the internet. Cheers!

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 12:51 PM

Glad to here you are keeping the V.

You are a great test pilot for those of us that don't get to put as many miles on.

1974 Kawasaki F11
2004 Yamaha WR450 plated
2014 Kawasaki Versys 650
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 12:54 PM

Great post, man.

I remember your CL ad and thinking about reaching out to you...the last time I saw it was within a couple of weeks of finding the V that I ended up buying.

Glad to hear things worked out.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Ken. I'll keep ya'll posted on future adventures and the bike's performance.

Michael
- Terry Pratchett

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome back my friend.

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 01:47 PM

We would miss you Michael, glad you worked thru that idea. I have 2 friends with the VStrom 1000 and I wouldn't trade for that, unless I was riding as you said, two up; and even then I would keep the Versys for fun. For all the posts I put up about other bikes, the Versys is still the best all round bike out there, IMHO. There are faster similiar machines, the Ducati tops that list, more horsepower for the dollar, the V Strom orTiger would be that, and better touring machines such as the Concours or BMWs. But when you add up cost of ownership, a great forum of worldwide enthusiasts, and simply the most fun machine, the Versys is the winner. You absolutely made the right decision to keep your Versys! We need your Mexico trips to keep us warm this winter!

My Album:

Last edited by Element; 12-29-2010 at 02:13 PM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 03:04 PM

Michael,
Great, it's good to hear that your staying here, I'm looking forward to more of your road stories and photos. As you know, I'm traveling two up a lot, more power would be nice but overall I'm satisfied with the performance of my Versys. That said, I've got a couple of motos in storage, it seems that I've got a "connection" with them, too many miles and stories, I just don't have to heart to sell them. I'm starting to feel the same way about my Versys. As soon as I read the first sentence of your post, ("I reluctantly rode my Versys for what could be our last ride together") I knew you couldn't sell it, too many stories. Again, I'm glad your still here, I'll see you on the road amigo.

Gary

This is a great photo, thanks for posting it.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they're real" - Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by DBD34; 12-29-2010 at 03:07 PM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element View Post
But when you add up cost of ownership, a great forum of worldwide enthusiasts, and simply the most fun machine, the Versys is the winner. You absolutely made the right decision to keep your Versys! We need your Mexico trips to keep us warm this winter!

Yup. That's what turned me on this one Element. For the 3 grand I would have got for the bike, I figure I might as well keep it and see just how much this bike can take.
Gary, Bear, and Killbilly: Thanks and it's good to be back!

Michael
- Terry Pratchett

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 04:44 PM

For what it's worth....

Properly maintained bikes provide a much greater value than what the market says they're worth. For some reason, almost every model tends to bottom out at 30-40K mi and $2500-$3000 - BMWs start to get used-bike-affordable at 15 years or 50K mi, whichever happens to come first, it seems.

I still can't figure out why Triumphs depreciate as quick as they do. They really shouldn't.

I bought a V with 15K mi on it over a V of the same year with 4.5K on it, primarily because the one with 15K had been extremely well-maintained.

Your bike - and mine - will probably bottom out at $2500-$3000 in value regardless of the mileage. And if we take care of them, I'm reasonably certain that 50-100K mi would be do-able.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 06:18 PM

Nice pics. I would like to see and ride the Sierra Gordas. Is Copper Canyon part of that area? My Mexico geography isn't very good.

I had a DL1000 for a couple of years, got out of riding for about 4 and then got the versys. I ride much faster in the twisties on the Versys, it's just quicker and handles better. And it's more fun to ride. The 'strom is definitely better for 2-up or a LOT of gear, but it's a big and heavy bike. The only power advantage is for speeds over a hundred or heavily loaded climbing grades. I suspect you really would miss your Versys. Maybe you hadn't considered it, but you could pull off all your accessories and replace with a super low-mile one, or even a new one. Just an idea.

I toy with the idea of a KTM Adventure, F800GS, or Tiger 800XC. But gee, for what I would get for my Versys I could buy two of them for the price of one of the other three. I just don't think I would get twice the enjoyment, and I suspect none of them are any better on-road than the Versys.

BTW, as a Mexican national I suspect you could get a nice little side gig going as a tour guide. I just love going into Mexico, have done the resort stuff with my folks for years, and we know it's a great riding destination. I know tourism has take a big hit and a lot of us Americans are afraid of all the drug wars. Having someone that can take a group down and lead a ride adventure would make a huge difference. Let us know what you think, or if you're interested in doing a Versys Forum group ride down there.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 06:34 PM

Michael-

If your comments and photos related to the Versys wouldn't convince someone to buy one, I don't know what would!!! Most excellent.

I sold my KLR650 and moved to KTM for more HP, better brakes, less weight, etc., etc., all oriented towards off-road riding. Awesome as may KTM may be, there are still things I miss about the KLR.

I could spend nearly double the money for a street-oriented bike like the Versys, but I wonder, would it be double the fun????

Congratulations on using the Versys to it's full potential. I keep thinking there is one of these bikes in my future.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 09:46 PM

You have a way with words. And your words are making me re-think my plan of trading mine off this fall. I am guessing it will have close to 35000 miles on it by then.

Keep posting please. I so look forward to your prose and pics. I think you are another longrider who get's it. Safe travels Michael.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
"One afterthought I'll add here is what a great a decision it's been for me to get back into motorcycling back in 2008, and how perfect the Versys was as a choice of reintro bike for me. It's taken me to many great and interesting places, and I've met a great group of people, including my very sweet girlfriend, in my travels, as well as online here on this forum. Now Im back in Mexico, and leave for a tour to southern Mexico/Guatemala next week on the freshly kitted Versys. So I just wanted to let my friends here know that the rumors of my departure from the world of Versys riders and this forum have been greatly exaggerated. Looking forward to reading the ongoing tales of fellow V riders here, on this, one of the most civil and informative motorcycle forums on the internet. Cheers!"

back and nice write up.
Thanks for sharing and wish you

Keep us posted Amigo.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
Nice pics. I would like to see and ride the Sierra Gordas. Is Copper Canyon part of that area? My Mexico geography isn't very good.

I had a DL1000 for a couple of years, got out of riding for about 4 and then got the versys. I ride much faster in the twisties on the Versys, it's just quicker and handles better. And it's more fun to ride. The 'strom is definitely better for 2-up or a LOT of gear, but it's a big and heavy bike. The only power advantage is for speeds over a hundred or heavily loaded climbing grades. I suspect you really would miss your Versys. Maybe you hadn't considered it, but you could pull off all your accessories and replace with a super low-mile one, or even a new one. Just an idea.

I toy with the idea of a KTM Adventure, F800GS, or Tiger 800XC. But gee, for what I would get for my Versys I could buy two of them for the price of one of the other three. I just don't think I would get twice the enjoyment, and I suspect none of them are any better on-road than the Versys.

BTW, as a Mexican national I suspect you could get a nice little side gig going as a tour guide. I just love going into Mexico, have done the resort stuff with my folks for years, and we know it's a great riding destination. I know tourism has take a big hit and a lot of us Americans are afraid of all the drug wars. Having someone that can take a group down and lead a ride adventure would make a huge difference. Let us know what you think, or if you're interested in doing a Versys Forum group ride down there.
CJ: The Sierra Gordas are in the Central part of the country, to the east of Queretero/north of mexico City. Beautiful area, great twisties, and some rugged off road riding. If anyone from the forum wants to come down here, i'll be happy to show them around the area. Not sure I want to mix business with pleasure by combining motorcycling and moneymaking, but you never know. I toyed with the idea of buying all those bikes, including a younger Versys. The price, reliability, parts availability, and my experience makes the Versys the hands down favorite of them all.

Michael
- Terry Pratchett

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

@ NDtransplant: Buy one. You won't regret it.

@ Siyeh: Yeah, it's a toss-up at some point whether to keep a bike or not. As I tour so much, I don't want to end up broken down on the side of the road in a remote area. In the end I'm just going on a gut instinct that my bike will go a lot further than it has with little or no trouble. I'll keep you posted.

@fastoman: Thnx!

@kilbilly: "Your bike - and mine - will probably bottom out at $2500-$3000 in value regardless of the mileage. And if we take care of them, I'm reasonably certain that 50-100K mi would be do-able." - This was kinda where I ended up in my calculations: that the Versys would never depreciate much more than it has all ready. In fact, the most it can depreciate at this point is $3k, and that implies it's a total write-off, so I will ride on.

Michael
- Terry Pratchett

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 11:47 AM

Congrats on keeping your bike, and wonderful photos.
May I ask what town you are in?
Recently sold my crotch rocket, and will be buying a V soon, ridden my friends a few times and love it.

Time alone with ones thoughts, is quality time.

They say there is a lack of jobs. Seems here to be more a lack of people willing to work hard, and take pride in the work they do.

Frank
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by arewethereyet View Post
Recently sold my crotch rocket, and will be buying a V soon, ridden my friends a few times and love it.
"Location CANADA", eh. How about 'whittling that down' a bit...?

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arewethereyet View Post
I'm sure you're gonna love the Versys awty. I'm living in San Miguel de Allende, GTO.

Michael
- Terry Pratchett

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
"Location CANADA", eh. How about 'whittling that down' a bit...?
Not to hijack this most wonderful thread but, Fasteddie, AWTY posted previously Armstrong B.C. the Okanagan, I think.

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-30-2010, 09:47 PM

Nice pics and story Miguelito! You know, between you and many others...I swear, I don't plan on ever selling my Versys!

2009 GREEN Kawasaki Versys

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
kawasaki, mexico, miguelito, review, versys

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode