Suggestions for a novice - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to rickescazu
Question Suggestions for a novice

Hi All,

new here and just got myself a 2010 versys for xmas. ok the low down is off bikes for a lot of years, due to numerous injuries. Mostly rode enduro and moto-x bikes since 17, started with a venerable Hodaka Ace and went up from there. in mid 80's to 90 or so i rode, Kawasaki 500 triple, and a couple 4 cyc Suzuki, but was living in New Mexico and dumped them a few times on rainy mountain roads, so finally went back to fast cars.

After a year of debating i decided to get a versys from reading here, and other reviews in mags. Was and still am worried about the weight as i like bikes under 325lbs much more, but nothing seemed as versitle. i live in Costa Rica, and the roads here are well more holes and gravel more often then pavement. not dirt per se just bad condition. I tried a 650 BMW but it seems to small and underpowered and also very heavy.

Now i know i will not be riding until next Monday, but i wanted to jump start the upgrades for safety and function. that and it takes 1-2 months to get things here ordered from the US, and lots of duty too.

So for starters i was/am ready to buy a good set of crash bars, seems the majority like HB and the reports are good. Mirrors, and maybe a taller wind screen and lastly used to having lever guards. like the tread here on the KTM and the looks are great, just not sure about no metal if i dump it and odds are i will....other suggestions also appreciated. rides here for me are about max an hour and a half. due to proximity to everything. so mostly will be used to commute short distances. also climate here is year round 70-85deg.

thanks for thoughts comments and suggestions,

rick

ps i know some or many may say ride it a few months before messing with it, ok got that but due to delays on parts here, i prefer to add some stuff right away...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 07:57 PM

Perhaps a radiator guard(if it doesn't restrict cooling too much) and/or a front fender extender to help protect your rad.

A rear hugger to protect the electrical parts in that area from debris and water damage.

Thats two you may want to consider before going too far.... rickescazu and

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

A crash bar, radiator Guard ,rear hugger and a set of hand guards should be you first purchase.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 12:52 AM

Oh heck no...mess with it! That's part of the fun. I wouldn't do performance related mods until you have ridden it a bit but crash bars, hand guards and at least a fender extender and/or radiator guard are going to land on your bike anyway so get it done now.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 12:52 AM

stuff to change

Dump the stock tires and get some tires with better tread. The stock tires are not well suited for poorly maintained roads when wet. You might want to raise the front fender an inch or more because thick mud loves to pack under the front.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 12:59 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
would not agree with dumping stock tyres as wore mine out and had no problems on roads that vary a lot and weather to.

Good hand guards and radiator guard and some crash bars would be a good investment
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 04:26 AM

crash bars (H&B for preference)
rear hugger (Ermax for preference)
fenda extender (Pyramid works fine)
consider a flap to deflect crap off the regulator/rectifier (the aluminium finned case in front of the rear wheel). if you are looking there consider smearing some di-electric grease on the connectors

after that
consider a speedy flat foot

I really wouldn't spend any more money untill you've got some road time, and you are certain this bike is 'the' one for you
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 06:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post

A crash bar, radiator Guard ,rear hugger and a set of hand guards should be you first purchase.

OK missed the rear hugger, looking around i like the look of the Carbon fiber unit from twinshack. to hard to find someone here to paint a match to the lime green color of the bike and the dark color should show dirt less. thanks...
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 07:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by healdem View Post
crash bars (H&B for preference)
rear hugger (Ermax for preference)
fenda extender (Pyramid works fine)
consider a flap to deflect crap off the regulator/rectifier (the aluminium finned case in front of the rear wheel). if you are looking there consider smearing some di-electric grease on the connectors

after that
consider a speedy flat foot

I really wouldn't spend any more money untill you've got some road time, and you are certain this bike is 'the' one for you
HI Healdem

are you sure i need to look at a fenda ext, as i have an '10 and the rear of the fender is lower then 08=09 models. just asking? other posts here seem to indicate ok as is. thanks.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 07:05 AM

All you really need is fuel.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 12:38 PM

Congrats. Nice Christmas gift. You will definitely enjoy it as I have, also with long history of offroading.

If you really think you're going to dump it then yes, crash bars and hand guards- the aluminum backbone style. Probends, Barkbusters, Moose Racing, etc. I'm going with the SWM crash bars because of the way they protect the lower part of the cases. Basically the HB ones protect higher up and the SWM protect lower down. Seems either will do the job if you lay it over.

Most owners end up wanting to do something with the seat. It slants about 10% into the tank and tends to drive most riders into it. So either a DIY mod or an exchange seat rebuild. The most economical is from Spencer and those that got them seem to like them.

If you're just doing day rides you may not have a need to bring more gear, but a rear rack is handy as a tie-down if you need the space.

Otherwise these bikes tend to get personalized based on how they're ridden and owner preferrence. You really won't know what that is 'till you put some time on it. And I think you'll get used to the bike real quick, it's very easy to ride, handles extremely well, and the power torquey and mild - no scares there. Get a few hundred miles on it and change the oil, and again when you get to 1200 or so. They are a very low maintenance machine, very easy to live with.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 12:41 PM
Super Moderator

And welcome aboard Rick!

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 01:39 PM

Barkbuster handguards for the aluminum strap, strongly recommended. You won't need the front fender extender on the 2010. Enjoy the ride.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 02:38 PM

fark

EBC brake pads & the radiator guard were the 1st adjustments I made

Scott
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all your input

Thanks to everyone for all their input, i have been ordering stuff for 2 days, now going to take a break and relax, too bad most of the goodies for versys come from across the pond. i guess they have a lot more there. got the radiator grill/protector (evo), the crash guards (HB), went with the KTM lever guards, as i loved them on my KTM and worry that if i do drop it don't want the metal smashing my knuckles, rear hugger in carbon fiber, and some mark II mirrors just cause they were $17 the pair....seat revision and center stand will be next in jan or Feb.

was looking to buy a Euro Helmet Viper V131 with blue tooth but can't find anyone to ship to Miami to my freight forwarder. anyone using a flip up with booth tooth that they care to recommend?

thanks again to all, great to be here and learn from the experienced riders/owners
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 01:06 PM

Brakes

the brake pads I got are actually Gaffer organic pads not EBC, but either brands are good upgrades.

Scott
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickescazu View Post
was looking to buy a Euro Helmet Viper V131 with blue tooth but can't find anyone to ship to Miami to my freight forwarder. anyone using a flip up with booth tooth that they care to recommend?

thanks again to all, great to be here and learn from the experienced riders/owners
I've got a Nolan N103 Ncom flip-up that I really, really like. I wasn't familiar with Nolan until recently, didn't know they were an Italian company, even. But it has been a great helmet.

Here are the options for their communications pieces, Bluetooth included.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 04:27 PM

I don't even want to hear from someone that lives in a climate where it is always 70-85 degrees, too damn jealous. Tell you what I'll trade you some great roads for some great weather.
Just kidding, welcome and hope you have fun.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 06:59 PM

It sounds like you’ve got the bike covered so; good boots, gloves and decently armored jacket & pants.

Have fun!

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 07:49 PM

Go to an empty parking lot and practice low-speed riding, quick stops, stop and start on an uphill, 180 turns, etc. Riding on the highway is easy - low speed takes some practice.

Someday is not a day of the week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode