Backoff XP Brake Light Module not working - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bale2011

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Backoff XP Brake Light Module not working

I tried installing this today and couldn't get it to work. Followed the instructions and several YouTube videos to the letter.

1) Disconnected battery.
2) Grounded black wire (ground) from Backoff to frame.
3) Cut the blue brake light wire.
4) Attached red wire from Backoff to blue wire leading to power.
5) Attached white wire with red stripe from Backoff to blue wire leading to bulb.
6) Reconnected battery.

This left me with a tail light only and no brake light.

Just for the heck of it, I repeated the process using the red brake light wire (supposed to be the tail light). This left me with a fully functioning tail and brake light but the Backoff unit did nothing. I'd send it back, but now the wires are all mangled. At least it was just $41 with shipping. Anyone have an idea of what went wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Read the fine print

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bale2011 View Post
I tried installing this today and couldn't get it to work. Followed the instructions and several YouTube videos to the letter.

1) Disconnected battery.
2) Grounded black wire (ground) from Backoff to frame.
3) Cut the blue brake light wire.
4) Attached red wire from Backoff to blue wire leading to power.
5) Attached white wire with red stripe from Backoff to blue wire leading to bulb.
6) Reconnected battery.

This left me with a tail light only and no brake light.

Just for the heck of it, I repeated the process using the red brake light wire (supposed to be the tail light). This left me with a fully functioning tail and brake light but the Backoff unit did nothing. I'd send it back, but now the wires are all mangled. At least it was just $41 with shipping. Anyone have an idea of what went wrong?
Once
installed,
The
original
BACKOFF module will emit 3 short brake light flashes and then one long flash and it repeats. The signal automatically repeats itself as long as the brake lights are on. This pattern is not random, but has been selected because of its
ability to retain following drivers attention.Please Note: This module will not work with LED brake lights.

So you are frustrated and would like to make it work NP. Very simple, this is what you do, go back to the original connection, blue wire from the bulb to red white and blue power to the red wire. This time you are also going to connect a resistor to the red/white and the other end of the resistor goes to ground. https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Alumin...eywords=40+ohm This resistor is overkill but readily available, and no need to worry about it overheating, about a 5 watt parasitic load while braking. I see no reason why this shouldn't work, as it imitates a incandescent bulb .

The reason why, the back off is a series switching device that uses voltage drop across it to drive the internal electronics, if you look it has a 10 amp rating or 140 watt rating, the total load is 5 watts plus the Led brake light should be sufficient to drive the back off, However https://www.amazon.com/Rating-Alumin...0+ohm+resistor you could buy 2. This would give 10 watts plus, guaranteed to work. Try one first and if needed 2. Many of these devices have a minimum of around 0.3 to 0.5 amps to drive them, the LED brake light is much less . The 40 ohm is 14.2 VDC / 40 = 0.335 amp , two is 0.67 amp or 10 watts

Last edited by onewizard; 08-27-2017 at 07:37 PM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 12:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Rotten Ronnie
I went with this unit as it works with both incandescent and led.

http://www.3rdbrakeflasher.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Kawasaki Versys 650, 2001 Honda XR400R (street plated)
Ride Reports and other drivel:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 05:20 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Onewizard, its in moments like these that a man can either feel stupid about making such an obvious mistake, and/or laugh at himself. I shall do both! Thanks.
Rotten Ronnie likes this.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Onewizard, I'm revisiting this again because I see in your post you're quoting info for the original Backoff, whereas mine is the XP model and their website says the XP works with LED lights.

"The BackOFF™ XP Brake Light Module automatically flashes your brake light(s) to capture the attention of following drivers and to make your motorcycle more visible. When installed, the motorcycle's brake light becomes significantly more noticeable because your brake light(s) will flash with your choice of 2 attention getting patterns. This module is designed to work with standard incandescent brake lights, LED brake lights, or a combination of both (up to 10amps)."

Link: BackOFF? XP Brake Light Module - Signal Dynamics

Guess I'm back to square one.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 01:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Rotten Ronnie
What bike are you installing this on?

2009 Kawasaki Versys 650, 2001 Honda XR400R (street plated)
Ride Reports and other drivel:

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

Correct Model Helps

Quote:
Onewizard, I'm revisiting this again because I see in your post you're quoting info for the original Backoff, whereas mine is the XP model and their website says the XP works with LED lights.

"The BackOFF™ XP Brake Light Module automatically flashes your brake light(s) to capture the attention of following drivers and to make your motorcycle more visible. When installed, the motorcycle's brake light becomes significantly more noticeable because your brake light(s) will flash with your choice of 2 attention getting patterns. This module is designed to work with standard incandescent brake lights, LED brake lights, or a combination of both (up to 10amps)."

Link: BackOFF? XP Brake Light Module - Signal Dynamics

Guess I'm back to square one.
I am digging into this again, the very second I saw more than two wires and read the instructions tells me you have something connected wrong. FYI Signal Dynamics is a reputable company.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten Ronnie View Post
What bike are you installing this on?
It's a 2017 650 LT.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
I am digging into this again, the very second I saw more than two wires and read the instructions tells me you have something connected wrong. FYI Signal Dynamics is a reputable company.
I'm sure it's me. Going to wire up some pig tails/connectors for further testing. Thanks!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

Directions Mode 1 Or 2

Quote:
I'm sure it's me. Going to wire up some pig tails/connectors for further testing. Thanks!
Personally I would use mode #2 https://store-wfdoukr.mybigcommerce....20Off%20XP.pdf

Mode 1:
If you choose to use mode 1, you will not need the red wire with white stripe used for mode 2. Secure the extra wire safely aside.This mode emits 3 short brake lightflashes and then one long flash and repeats. The signal automatically repeats itself as long as the brake lights are on. This pattern is not random, but
has been selected because of its ability to retain following drivers attention.

Mode 2:Note:
If you choose to use mode 2, you will not need the white wire with red stripe used for mode 1. Secure the extra wire safely aside.This mode emits a visual signal of 5 quick flashes, followed by a steady on light that remains steady as long as the brake lights are on.
I would be very annoyed if I was behind someone with mode #1 at a stop light, what I will do is describe proper wiring for mode #2.
The solid red wire goes to the blue original power source for the brake light. The black goes to I would recommend the frame ground, extend it as the wiring in the MK-3 is short everywhere, unless you are competent at doing a solder tap on the tail light ground that is my recommendation. The red with white tracer goes to the brake light LED which is your blue wire to LED . The white with red tracer gets insulated / not used.

If you choose mode 1, you insulate the red with white tracer and use the white red to the blue wire to LED Brake.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I use the same BackOFF XP on my 2015 and I used it on my 2009 also.

When I moved to 2015 it was not working in the beginning, so I did some testing.
Some wires are reversed by Kawasaki on the 2015, look at my thread, I think I mentioned that when I installed the module.

Versys 2015 Green
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 05:49 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chid View Post
I use the same BackOFF XP on my 2015 and I used it on my 2009 also.

When I moved to 2015 it was not working in the beginning, so I did some testing.
Some wires are reversed by Kawasaki on the 2015, look at my thread, I think I mentioned that when I installed the module.
Do you have a link to your thread?
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 04:40 PM

Apparently I didn't post it in my thread, but here:

BackOFF XP problem on Versys 2015

Versys 2015 Green
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 04:17 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chid View Post
Apparently I didn't post it in my thread, but here:

BackOFF XP problem on Versys 2015
You mentioned "Black/yellow is ground, red is running light and blue (middle position) is brake light." That's the same as on my 2017. And it appears we wired the XP the same way with the exception that I grounded mine to the frame and it looks like maybe you tapped into the ground wire (?). Hard to see in your pic.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 04:09 PM

Maybe you can see it better here.

The ground was connected to the bike later, this is just to show the wires from BackOFF
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BackOFF XP.jpg (63.8 KB, 26 views)

Versys 2015 Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode