Christmas on a nearly new BMW - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Christmas on a nearly new BMW

My brother in law just purchased an 05 Beemer, and he let me ride it all week here in San Antonio. It is Hayabusa fast, but so smooth and stable - easy to ride and the brakes are awesome- abs- one finger on the front brakes controls the bike. For a bike weighing nearly six hundred pounds, it seems agile enough; although the Texas hill country is not the same as the Ozarks. I can't say the riding position suits me, but other than that, I can't fault it. Today it was cooler, and I reeeallly like the heated grips!

2005 BMW K1200S BumbleBee Paint, SBR slipon

My Album:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Element; 12-25-2010 at 09:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 09:10 PM

It's a beauty!

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 06:11 AM

So? When are you getting yours? Nice pics, BTW. I'm so jealous...

Jsquared

Rider of all things 2 wheeled

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 07:51 AM
cls

Nice bikes, and very fast (And gentlemenly.). Not 'Busa-fast, though. Easier to live w/every day...except for the price and maintenance. Cool bikes.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

cls, you're probably right, I haven't ridden a Busa. The BMW K series did set a record at the Salt Flats and has a top speed of 188mph. Zero to 60 in 2.6. The R version was the fastest naked bike in 2005. It pulls like a train from 3k rpm, then it really wails. But, apart from the performance, the bike just felt solid and planted. I left it in the comfort mode on the ESA, and it was a super smooth ride in that setting. I don't fully understand the dualever front suspension, but it works. Very little brake dive, and easy to manuever. Oh, and I am not getting one, I just hope my brother in law keeps it a while.

My Album:
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 09:08 AM
cls

Yeh, they had a couple of head-to-head tests and it falls short compared w/the 'Busa. for performance. However, for a road bike, it's actually better for most: more comfort, amenities, refinement, etc. The price and maintenance are the big negatives for me. OTOH, if you can get your brother-in-law (Or anyone else for that matter.) to loan you their's, that's sweet! Enjoy.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 09:13 AM

Those K-bikes are magnificent. Like piloting a cruise missile.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
BMW makes good bike, only problems is $$$$$.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 04:34 PM

BEAR!!! Is this General Kawasaki Versys Discussions??? Not that it really matters, Nice beemer! HaHa! Happy New Year to all!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
BMW makes good bike, only problems is $$$$$.

It's all relative. They're expensive to purchase and outfit, yes, but they retain their value well, they last a LONG time with proper maintenance and BMW owners GENERALLY (anec-data, I know) tend to take pretty good care of their rides.

I think, when you buy a BMW, you have to be committed to long-term ownership to realize any value. I wouldn't think twice about buying a BMW with 30K mi on it.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 09:51 PM
cls

Yeh, but you still have to come up w/the original price. That's a big bite. Then you get into maintenance, dealer, parts prices, etc. issues. I agree Beemer makes a very nice product these days. They're just not nearly as easy to own as a Jap. bike, IMO, initially or long-term. OTOH, it's a good thing we all like different stuff.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 01:01 PM

I was thinking about moving from my 09 V to a BMW F800ST, so I followed a Owner's Forum for a few weeks to get a feelling for their issues. I was surprised at the number of Quality issues - many of which would leave you stranded. Not what I expected from BMW. I eventually was convinced that the issues could be handled, so I took a new F800ST for a test ride. It was a nice solid ride, but, compared to my Versys, it felt like a SUV (big car) and was very uncomfortable - foot pegs way too high, and body leaned forward. It was twice the cost of a Versys, half as comfortable, and less performance. So, I'm still riding my V.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

This bike does get some attention. I had several people staring at it, and then one guy stopped his car in front of the drive(photo) and started asking questions. With the slip on SBK can, its loud too. I also got the attention of more than one Texas law enforcement officer, thankfully they were only looks.

My Album:
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyNeal View Post
I was thinking about moving from my 09 V to a BMW F800ST, so I followed a Owner's Forum for a few weeks to get a feelling for their issues. I was surprised at the number of Quality issues - many of which would leave you stranded. Not what I expected from BMW. I eventually was convinced that the issues could be handled, so I took a new F800ST for a test ride. It was a nice solid ride, but, compared to my Versys, it felt like a SUV (big car) and was very uncomfortable - foot pegs way too high, and body leaned forward. It was twice the cost of a Versys, half as comfortable, and less performance. So, I'm still riding my V.
Scotty,
I 'tested' the Wee Strom, the BMW F 650GS (twin) and the F 800GS, as well as the Versys (an '07), and bought the BEST!
That's why I now have TWO!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 12:31 PM

Makes me miss my BMW R1100S...

2003 BMW R1100S Boxer Cup Prep (sold)
2004 Suzuki SV650 (sold, wish I hadn't)
2009 Kawasaki Versys (commuter/dragon slayer)
Future bike: Ducati Sport 1000S (just because
)
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyNeal View Post
It was twice the cost of a Versys, half as comfortable, and less performance.
I used to own the original BMW F650, equipped with Givi bags, heated grips and handguards. It was very capable. I rode it to Mexico and back.

But I never was totally satisfied with it and I sold it after the Mexico trip. This year, I bought a Versys and fitted it with Givi bags, heated grips and handguards. It has almost all the advantages of the F650 without the drawbacks. The F650 was a good bike, but I'm happier with the Versys.

The K bikes have their own separate charms, however...

I seriously doubt I'll ever own another BMW. (But I wouldn't complain if my brother-in-law bought one and let me borrow it.)

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

This would be my choice for the slant 4 K series:

Only available in 2007

My Album:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode