Auction bike? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Auction bike?

So I have a smoking deal in front of me for a Versys 1000lt for $10k OTD on a left over 2016 that Im about to jump on but one thing has me a little concerned. The dealer says that its an auction bike, which they say is an old stock bike from another dealer that they couldn't move and they hold auctions to sell these units to other dealers. Ive gotten photo confirmation that it has 0 miles on the clock. They say it has a full mechanical warranty but no warranty on cosmetics. The right rearset mount looks pretty scratched up but the bolts arent stripped so Im thinking this must have gotten damaged in transit at some point. Im too far away to see the bike in person until this weekend but does anybody have more insight into "auction bikes"? Is there something the dealer isnt telling me or that I should be weary of?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 12:00 PM

Garage
It's not uncommon for cars and bikes to go from dealer to dealer via auctions. A dealer watching their inventory could certainly dump stale stock at auction. It's also possible that it came from a dealer that folded. The Versys is not a high volume bike and certainly seems to sell better in some areas than others. I bought my '15 V1000 as a leftover in the fall of 2016 for around 10k. When I bought it there were several dealers around the state advertising leftover 2015 V1000s for the same price. I recently saw a thread on another forum where a dealer had two leftover 2016 V1000s for under 10k. Keep in mind if they bought it at auction, they likely got a good deal on it themselves.

It's probably a good deal but not the only good deal to be found with some research.

If I were you, I would push them to fix any cosmetic issues despite their "no warranty" statement. When you look at it, check carefully for damaged plastic that might be expensive to replace.

The urge to buy terrorizes
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsForrest View Post
It's not uncommon for cars and bikes to go from dealer to dealer via auctions. A dealer watching their inventory could certainly dump stale stock at auction. It's also possible that it came from a dealer that folded. The Versys is not a high volume bike and certainly seems to sell better in some areas than others. I bought my '15 V1000 as a leftover in the fall of 2016 for around 10k. When I bought it there were several dealers around the state advertising leftover 2015 V1000s for the same price. I recently saw a thread on another forum where a dealer had two leftover 2016 V1000s for under 10k. Keep in mind if they bought it at auction, they likely got a good deal on it themselves.

It's probably a good deal but not the only good deal to be found with some research.

If I were you, I would push them to fix any cosmetic issues despite their "no warranty" statement. When you look at it, check carefully for damaged plastic that might be expensive to replace.
I live in CA and I have see plenty of dealers advertising left over Versys for 10k....but not at the OTD price. Is 10k out the door a normal price to find elsewhere?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 06:17 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
If you live in CA (California) you have to buy a California bike unless it has 7500 miles on it. I don't know about buying a California certified bike from out of state. I would want a greater discount if there is cosmetic damage to the bike.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode