It finally arrived! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Garage
It finally arrived!

Had the 650 LT delivered on Saturday and what a great bike! I immediately went to work installing a few mods. Touratech crash bars, R&G radiator guard, SW-Motech front axle sliders and wide foot pegs, Motowerk mirror extenders, wide kickstand base and rear lowering foot peg blocks for my wife. Everything went smoothly and took about 5 hours. I had ordered the Motowerk lowering kit with kickstand insert and the lowering brake lever nut but will be returning those. Probably like a lot of riders my size (5'9" height and 31-1/2" inseam) I had worried about the bike being too tall but I was pleasantly surprised to find that I could almost flat-foot it with regular shoes. With my riding boots my feet are about 95% level on the ground and I think with the low version of the Sargent seat I could bring it to 100%. So, for anyone with my dimensions hesitating because of the height of the bike, please don't deprive yourself of owning one. There are things you can do to make it work for you and if it takes the lowering kit, go for it! I have these items either sitting in the garage or on order...Kawi DC outlet and relay, GIVI V47NNT top case with backrest (waiting on SW steel top rack - backordered), Ermax rear hugger and Extenda Fenda, Gold Plug magnetic drain plug (first oil change). Will grab pics as I install them. I want to thank the knowledgeable people here who've contributed so much information over the years. Everything I've learned about this bike has come from here.

Last edited by Bale2011; 08-22-2017 at 08:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator

Awesome . Enjoy your ride and be safe. Thanks for sharing your awesome work on the bike.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 10:35 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to NightRider
Sweet! And you're ready to do the wrenching on it right away, I respect that!

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 02:35 PM

Garage
Welcome! Great selection of accessories. In case you are unaware of it, you can download the factory service manual from the TECH section of this website.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 02:41 PM

Nice bike with some great add-ons. If you do get a Sargent Seat I would be curious how it works out for you. Not only with reach to ground but also knee bend to pegs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Here's the GIVI V47NNT Monokey that will go on as soon as the mounting plate comes. These are beautiful cases. Not that much heavier than the Monolock series but much sturdier (I wouldn't bother with the Monolock - you wouldn't save that much weight). It has a nice grip area above the lock and you could easily carry it into a hotel like a piece of luggage. Attaching the backrest was a breeze.

NightRider likes this.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 11:58 PM

Garage
That looks great! I did the same top box on my '16 LT and learned that you can buy the kawasaki lock tumblers and easily rekey it to match your ignition key. I think I paid $20-30 at Bikebandit.com and a quick google search located great youtube vids to learn how to set the tumblers. I replaced a much faster Ducati ST with this little Versys and I never regretted it. Great handling, economy, power and comfort. I ride places I never would have taken the Duc and it never ceases to amaze me with its capabilities.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Installed the Ermax rear tire hugger that I received from Moto Machines (Ermax Rear Hugger for Kawasaki Versys 650 '15-). The unit feels and fits great with just the right amount of clearance over the tire. Install time was about 15 minutes. I ordered the unpainted version only because I didn't want the extended wait time for the Metallic Spark Black, but I'm fine with it. It's a matte black finish that looks like it came from Kawasaki. The integral chain guard is longer than the factory guard - another nice plus. I would buy this again.

Turk likes this.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkspieler View Post
That looks great! I did the same top box on my '16 LT and learned that you can buy the kawasaki lock tumblers and easily rekey it to match your ignition key. I think I paid $20-30 at Bikebandit.com and a quick google search located great youtube vids to learn how to set the tumblers. I replaced a much faster Ducati ST with this little Versys and I never regretted it. Great handling, economy, power and comfort. I ride places I never would have taken the Duc and it never ceases to amaze me with its capabilities.
I will do that. Thanks for the tip!
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-29-2017, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Changed the horn to the Denali. Literally a 5 minute swap. Not as low sounding as I had expected from reading other posts, but better than the "meep meep" roadrunner-like sound of the original.

Turk likes this.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Threw in the Kawi DC outlet and relay today. I thought perhaps I could do it without removing the windshield but quickly learned this was impossible. This was beyond easy. It's so nice to have power at your fingertips.

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 05:50 PM

Garage
WOW! So many mods at once on a new bike! Mine has not been that clean....since it was new! Lookin' really sweet. Hope you can pile on some miles soon. And, welcome to the forum.

BEST,
ANDY

"ALWAYS IN QUESTION, NEVER IN DOUBT".
Visit me at andyversystheworld on Facebook for Pictures and Updates.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 08:09 PM

Garage
Sweet ride! You have farkled the hell out it already! I love the chain gaurd combo tire hugger!
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 10:17 AM

Let the fun begin. Nice job. It's taken me about 4 years to get most of those mods on my beastie.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-05-2017, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Over the weekend I put on the Pyramid Plastics "Extenda Fenda" that I ordered from Moto Machines when I ordered the Ermax hugger. I bought this mainly to bump up my cart checkout total to get free shipping on the Ermax, and I'm glad I did. This went on super easy and was actually fun to add to the bike. I took my time (about 30 min) and the result looks factory. It rained a bit on Labor Day and when the sun came out I took the V for a ride. The streets were wet and this fender extension really helped to keep spray out of the front manifold area. Every Versys should have this.

The unit comes with double-sided tape for holding the unit to the fender while you install the rivets. To get better access, I un-clamped the brake lines and loosened the fender.

I added RTV silicone to the area with the tape for a better seal.

The rivets supplied by Pyramid are small and made of cheap plastic. I didn't trust them so I used actual steel rivets.

My rivets appeared nearly the same as the ones used by Kawi. Any hardware store will carry them.

I put one rivet on each side and then turned the wheel to put one directly in the center rear. I then reattached the lines and fender.

Beautiful!
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017, 10:31 AM

Garage
You got your bike delivered with 0 miles! I bought my bike new in crate, but by the time the papers were signed and the bike set up there were 6.2 miles on the odometer. The salesman claims it was part of the inspection process.

Just because I am Deaf does not mean I can not roar.

Long distance two stroke scooter rider moving onto even longer touring.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-10-2017, 12:20 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaringTodd View Post
You got your bike delivered with 0 miles! I bought my bike new in crate, but by the time the papers were signed and the bike set up there were 6.2 miles on the odometer. The salesman claims it was part of the inspection process.
I guess some dealerships require this. My dealership required the salesman to test ride the bike in front of me and required me to sign the paper that I agree everything is in good order before accepting the bike (since I picked it up myself). It's probably so that you can't claim hidden damage or faulty assembly was made on the bike before the transport.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Over the weekend I removed the stock side-cases and installed a Monokey package from GIVI which I think is much more attractive. I first installed the SR4114 brackets that hold whatever top-case plate you intend to use. I went with the M7 Monokey plate to match the V47NNT case with backrest, which I installed next. I had been waiting for an SW-Motech steel top-case plate to come in from Twisted Throttle, but the wait went on for a month and a half so I cancelled that order and got the SR4114 and M7 delivered within 2 days through Amazon. I then installed the PLX4114 side-case frame. This took about an hour and required a little pushing and pulling to get all of the holes to line up for the bolts, but overall it was pretty easy and the finished product was very tight (I used blue thread locker on every bolt and could move the bike by tugging on the frame). GIVI included a rear turn signal relocation bracket with the PLX4114 kit but I found that it wasn't needed so I skipped it. This is a great setup and my wife feels much more secure with the backrest behind her. There is 1 key for every case and the Monokey cases feel more like hard luggage with very little, if any, flex. You simply turn the key, pop them off and carry them into your hotel room. I'm very happy with them.

M7 plate on SR4114 brackets. In this image you can also see the Signal Dynamics Backoff XP brake light module that I can't recommend enough.

SR4114 brackets holding M7 plate

M7 plate

PLX4114 frame mount to passenger foot rest. In this image you can also see the rear foot peg lowering blocks from Motowerk. My wife says her knees are more comfortable with these installed.

PLX4114 frame mount to location just under seat

PLX4114 frame mount to SR4114 bracket

PLX4114 frame fully installed

V35 Tech side-case positive lock mechanism

V35 Tech internal

V47NNT Tech internal

The V47 is a big case that can easily hold two helmets.

Last edited by Bale2011; 09-18-2017 at 09:32 AM.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 09:38 AM

Garage
I shortened the bolts on my top case plate and mounted them upside down (with the safety nut on top and covered by the plate and case), just to make it a bit more theft-proof.
That way a potential thief can wrench all day long but the safety nut won't come off so easily because they have no access to it. In your case, they can just pinch the bolt and unscrew the nut.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRider View Post
I shortened the bolts on my top case plate and mounted them upside down (with the safety nut on top and covered by the plate and case), just to make it a bit more theft-proof.
That way a potential thief can wrench all day long but the safety nut won't come off so easily because they have no access to it. In your case, they can just pinch the bolt and unscrew the nut.
Thank's for the tip. I don't think it's possible with the design of the M7 because the provided nut/washer are wider than the hole on the top of the plate (under the case). I could always use a different combination but I'd have to drill holes through the bottom of the V47 case. Not really concerned about it at this point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode