MadStad WindScreen - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 01:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
MadStad WindScreen

Who has this Windscreen and do you like it? Thinking about ordering one for my 09.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 07:51 AM

Garage
Check around, everyone loves them. I have been looking as well. Lots of info on internet. Kind of expensive, but no one regrets spending the money. I think the key is that they are angle adjustable, so you customize this for you, your speed, and height. Enjoy!

BEST,
ANDY

"ALWAYS IN QUESTION, NEVER IN DOUBT".
Visit me at andyversystheworld on Facebook for Pictures and Updates.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I placed my order today for the 20" dark grey. They have a 10 percent off coupon on the web site. My buddy has one on his 2017 and loves it.

Let everyone know how it works out.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 08:19 PM

I bought the 20 inch dark grey for my 2011 a couple of years ago.
Pros:
Pretty much eliminated the buffeting.
Easy to install.
Dark Grey Color. (Looks great with the maroon-colored bike)
Cons:
Dark Grey Color. (It's rather distracting. I should have bought the clear wind screen.)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 09:30 PM

Garage
I have the 20" on my 2015. I like the adjustability of it and the buffeting has been reduced a little. I still find I have a lot of wind noise. Overall I think it is better than the stock but not sure if it's $250ish better.
BEACHBUM likes this.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 04:50 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I bought a 20in in light grey colour for my 2012 Versys long time ago.

I used it for a few long trips and it was great.... March 2016 I bought s Yamaha Super Tenere 1200 for my touring needs so now my Versys is a daily commuter and I run it with out a screen.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 07:36 AM

Garage
I am migrating back to naked bikes. Tired of the buffeting created by windscreens that try and keep the wind off your helmet.

I liked the stock Concours screen because it was low enough to have my chest and head in the wind with my head in the clean air, but electrically adjustable for those cold jaunts or rain where the buffeting wasn't as bad as freezing or getting rained on.

In order to have the wind flowing over your helmet the shield has to be so tall that it looks weird on the smallish fairings of most bikes.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 11:31 AM

I've had a Madstad on my other bike a Triumph Tiger 1200 and it works great. I got lucky and found a great deal on a buy it now on eBay the day I got my new Versys home for a 20". It goes up and down easily as well as adjusting a bit for fore and aft angle.

CalSci does make a very good windscreen as well.

The big con is the Madstad is to me a bit ugly with a lot of hardware in view. I'll live with it for the smooth airflow. I wear ear plugs mainly for the buffeting from the helmet. When I (ok I'm wearing my flame proof suit go go ahead and start) ride with no helmet (not very often) it's amazingly smooth air flow and very quiet. Love how the Versys engine growls when you run up a gear quickly.

If you buy directly from Madstad and you don't like it they will refund your money if you ship it back un scratched. Just leave the protective plastic on it when you try it out. For the Tiger they make some "winglets" that help a lot with buffeting from the under the windscreen. If your considering one just pick up the phone and give them a call.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks all...

I have the Givi on now...it's ok, but shakes my head starting at 65 mph. I've tried different heights on the Givi...gives same results.

I ordered the Madstad Friday...I'll keep you guy posted on the results.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 04:37 PM

I have one. Yesterday, I went 77 mph on the freeway with a baseball cap. It did not even come close to blowing off.

Todd
White 2015 650 LT
Apple Valley, Minnesota
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 06:35 PM

yeah, I came from a 2003 Ninja 250 with a stock windscreen. When I bought my 2009 650 Versys it came with a nice aftermarket screen (Cee Bailey's) The buffeting was awful. I tried every adjustment, even tilting it back, and finally just took it off and - voila! - clean air!! Beats that buffeting any day. I sourced an OEM windscreen on this forum, and I love it. I don't get the hate for the OEM windscreen - I'll take it over buffeting any day.
twowheeladdict likes this.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 08:10 PM

The OEM screen works well for me too, but I have a Madstad for cold weather.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 04:52 PM

I'm a V-Stream (National Cycle) fan myself, had em on several bikes and they work as advertised. Cheaper than MadStad as well. Tough as nails finish that stands up to a lot of abuse.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yeah...I had the V-Stream and it didn't work for me. I tried different heights...nothing. The Givi is ok under 60mph, but with the speed limit here in Indiana at 100 mph on the freeways(kidding...that's how fast they drive), I want something that won't make me a bobble head.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

I have a PUIG 5999 for my Gen 3 650, but I re-installed the OEM screen at its HIGHEST setting for my recent 13,950 km cross-Canada ride (I'm about 5' 10", 31" inseam) and it worked GREAT! I had lots of rain and was protected from it, NO buffeting!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 06:55 PM

Garage
I ride the V-Stream on my 09 and very little buffet even at 80+.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 04:40 AM

Garage
Best wind screen for a MK1 bike is the VStream in my experience. Not too big or too small. You do however need to use a little foam tape (weather stripping tape) on the sides of the windshield supports when mounting in some positions to eliminate rattle/buzzing (where it's curvature can come into contact with the sides of the metal windshield supports causing rattle/buzzing with engine and road vibrations). Very well made out of thick and rigid plastic unlike some lesser aftermarket shields. Wish they made one for my current MK2 bike (previously owned a MK1).

With a MK1 also install foam tape on tab of top dash panel if you have not already as this is another source of rattle/buzzing. Lots of threads on this.

Last edited by twowheels; 08-27-2017 at 04:47 AM.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 06:32 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Got the Madstad screen yesterday. Rode about 200 miles with 15 stops. Tore me up with buffering!!! I tried all positions and angles. I thought this was King Dick of Screens. If I raise up to full top position, no buffering on helmet but the sides of my body is hammered with wind. Running 75 on freeway is to much wind on side of my body (both sides of my jacket are pressed in from wind pressure). If I get behind a Semi, the surging is dangerous at freeway speeds.

I have the V-Stream, GIVI, Madstad, Powerbronze, and OEM Kaw. My V must be cursed!!! I put the OEM Kaw back on and now just clean air on my helmet. Oh well, I'll use the Madstad for winter riding (at speeds below 55, it's great).
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanebanger View Post
Got the Madstad screen yesterday. Rode about 200 miles with 15 stops. Tore me up with buffering!!! I tried all positions and angles. I thought this was King Dick of Screens. If I raise up to full top position, no buffering on helmet but the sides of my body is hammered with wind. Running 75 on freeway is to much wind on side of my body (both sides of my jacket are pressed in from wind pressure). If I get behind a Semi, the surging is dangerous at freeway speeds.

I have the V-Stream, GIVI, Madstad, Powerbronze, and OEM Kaw. My V must be cursed!!! I put the OEM Kaw back on and now just clean air on my helmet. Oh well, I'll use the Madstad for winter riding (at speeds below 55, it's great).
How tall are you? The OEM screen on my 09 absolutely beats the hell out of me at highway speeds, I'm 5'10". In the highest position it buffets the hell out of my helmet, in the lowest position the wind blast tries to rip my helmet off my head. My previous bike was much smoother wind wise on the highway and also had a OEM shorty screen (Bandit 600S), but it was just clean air to the helmet.

Last edited by mrvwbug; 10-01-2017 at 10:37 PM.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Best wind screen for a MK1 bike is the VStream in my experience. Not too big or too small. You do however need to use a little foam tape (weather stripping tape) on the sides of the windshield supports when mounting in some positions to eliminate rattle/buzzing (where it's curvature can come into contact with the sides of the metal windshield supports causing rattle/buzzing with engine and road vibrations). Very well made out of thick and rigid plastic unlike some lesser aftermarket shields. Wish they made one for my current MK2 bike (previously owned a MK1).

With a MK1 also install foam tape on tab of top dash panel if you have not already as this is another source of rattle/buzzing. Lots of threads on this.
I'm seriously looking at getting this one for my 09, the OEM screen is hell for someone 5'10", it's either buffeting from hell, or so much wind blast under the helmet that it literally is pulling your head back. My goal is to try to get the air flow to the top part of the helmet, or at least clean air to the helmet. This is my 3rd bike and all 3 of my bikes have had windscreens, this OEM screen is by far the worst, a naked bike is smoother at highway speeds. My first bike was a CX500 with an aftermarket fairing and huge screen, you would roast even at highway speeds on a hot day haha, you could also ride visor open pretty much all the time. My second bike was a Bandit 600S with the small upper fairing and shorty screen, that one delivered nice clean air to the helmet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode