How NOT to install peg lowering blocks - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By VersysCurses

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
How NOT to install peg lowering blocks

Left side went on smooth. Right side... not so much. The locking bolt wasn't going all the way flush with the block, so stupid me decided to let the nut pull it down as I tightened it. Well, obviously I went a bit too tight and SNAP! There goes the peg. ****. Something was preventing the bolt from going down flush and I don't know what. But whatever it was, it cost me a new peg. Just wanted to pass this on so hopefully no one else will get in this position.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4341_1503116645576.jpg (30.9 KB, 149 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 08:53 AM

Garage
OOHHHH! been there on a number of projects. Live and learn? Hope it works out.

BEST,
ANDY

"ALWAYS IN QUESTION, NEVER IN DOUBT".
Visit me at andyversystheworld on Facebook for Pictures and Updates.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 05:49 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Rotten Ronnie
We must be related. I'm really good with helicoil inserts as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Kawasaki Versys 650, 2001 Honda XR400R (street plated)
Ride Reports and other drivel:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Is that cast aluminum? Makes you wish more parts like that (with mounting points) were made of forged steel and that the bike companies didn't cut corners.

Last edited by Bale2011; 08-22-2017 at 08:04 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Right Side Lowering Peg?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VersysCurses View Post
Left side went on smooth. Right side... not so much. The locking bolt wasn't going all the way flush with the block, so stupid me decided to let the nut pull it down as I tightened it. Well, obviously I went a bit too tight and SNAP! There goes the peg. ****. Something was preventing the bolt from going down flush and I don't know what. But whatever it was, it cost me a new peg. Just wanted to pass this on so hopefully no one else will get in this position.
First, thank you for posting, as I went out several times and looked at my bike, I checked the shifter side as it was easier to get at, discovered the mounting could rotate slightly, I mount and dismount using the left peg, fortunately I use loctite, as the bolt was tight, tightened about 1/8 turn and the mount was tight too.

So your lowering mount looks like a Speedy Moto Werk product, I am baffled as to what happened as the casting hole looks to be oversize on the nut side, at the same time the pin that held it originally is suppose to be the same diameter as the bolt.Looking at the casting, I wonder if the hole was off on a angle as it appears the nut side of the foot peg broke off first followed by the lowering mount side.

So have you replaced the peg and if so what did you do to mount the new peg?

Last edited by onewizard; 08-22-2017 at 08:42 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-06-2017, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
First, thank you for posting, as I went out several times and looked at my bike, I checked the shifter side as it was easier to get at, discovered the mounting could rotate slightly, I mount and dismount using the left peg, fortunately I use loctite, as the bolt was tight, tightened about 1/8 turn and the mount was tight too.

So your lowering mount looks like a Speedy Moto Werk product, I am baffled as to what happened as the casting hole looks to be oversize on the nut side, at the same time the pin that held it originally is suppose to be the same diameter as the bolt.Looking at the casting, I wonder if the hole was off on a angle as it appears the nut side of the foot peg broke off first followed by the lowering mount side.

So have you replaced the peg and if so what did you do to mount the new peg?
Yes, I replaced the peg (with one from a Ninja). I just did it more carfully this time and didn't tighten it too much. I think what happened was when I first started tightening the locking nut, the bolt turned just a little bit and the head angle was in such a way that it was catching on the lowering block and wouldn't let it rest flush. I think the key there is making sure your bolt doesn't move/shift while tightening. Rookie mistake on my part.
onewizard likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode