Attaching Your Fishing Rod - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Attaching Your Fishing Rod

Was wondering what people do for bringing their fishing rod(s) along with them on trips. I have a 2 piece fly rod that is pretty long so I'm not sure what is the best way to carry it. I would like to be able to remove it pretty easily.

Right now I just bungee it to the sub-frame. You can see it in it's rod sock sticking out the back of the bike... Any other ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Can you make it a 4 piece fishing rod? How about a telescopic rod?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 07:04 PM

Your set-up looks good for a fly rod. I don't fly fish so my rods are all a lot shorter.

Was thinking of using my 3 and1/2 inch ABS tube(rod case). It'll hold a number of poles.

A couple large hose clamps to attach it to the frame and seat handle. It has a screw off cap for ease of access but the reels would need to be attached, and line strung and tied when I arrive at the fishin' hole.

The tube is less than 5 feet in length so a 2 piece fly rod would not likely fit. Assuming your fly rod is more than 10 ft. in length.

You may want to purchase a length of abs or pvc pipe and end caps to suit your particular need.

Just thinking out loud, as I've not gotten "around to it" myself.

A passenger/carrier may be another option! j/k

Fly fishing is a blast! I wish you every success in your quests. Happy fishin'!

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 10:39 PM

A piece of PVC or ABS with caps makes a great fly rod tube at WAY less money than the ready made ones sell for. Plus you can custom build to suit your needs.

I went to a 7 1/2 foot 4 weight rod many years ago and that is a whole bunch of fun on small streams. I've taken large trout with it. You just have to be careful and can't just winch them in. I originally built it for small tight streams but ended up making it my primary rod full-time. I don't use it for large bass or steelhead, of course.

Some of the nicer 4 piece pack rods actually have a decent action to them. Nothing like a two piece but a whole lot more portable.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 09:23 AM

Hello KsMason71, I have a similar setup, minus side bags. Same Shad SH40 box. I use it for a High point tie down (Ran a 12" long plumbers tape under the top box, between the mounting plate and the bottom of top box. This plumbers tape is a Thin Flat metal Tape with holes. Can slide in and out quickly and the holes are handly for small bungie to hold too. I also use a PVC tube Long as 2 pt Fly pole. As for the Mounting point on the bottom.
I ended up with a permanant solution. I created from scrape alluminum a L bracket and used a 10 mm bolt to attach to the very bottom of the sub frame just under the Rear footpeg. That sub frame has a pre threaded end. With the stationary home made L braket left on the bike. When I'm ready to take the fishing trip I grab the PCV with a HOSE CLAMP and slide clamp over the L bracket and tighten. SO my tube rides at Approx 30 degree angle Bottom of tube is near the top muffler (leaves me ground clearance if off road) and the top is running past the side of the SH40 top box middle area leaning and wrapped with bungie to the Plumbers tape.
I Ran hundreds miles this way.
NOTE: The first year I was not using a SOLID L bracket at the bottom but a soft bracket near the rear footpeg. The tube would rub the Swing arm and I had to touchup silver paint to cover the Rub marks.

Note A full size Coleman Cooler will fit between the rider (you) and the SH40 Top Box resting on the little passanger area seat. Just strap carefully, I use 2 strapes one on each side of the seat.
I'm able to fill my cooler with salmon, and it can be used to carry waders or other supplies.
Fish ON friend

Last edited by Squier; 12-20-2010 at 09:25 AM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
X 4 on the ABS pipe. Cheap, durable and almost 'bullet-proof', and bungees across the passenger seat. Put 2 'eyebolts' for bungee hooks in plus a drawer-pull as a carry handle.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 11:20 AM

Garage
I just regular fish. i have a 2 piece rod, that i take apart and bungee to the subframe or Givi side racks if I have them on.

I look kind of weird riding down the road in my waders, vest and helmet....

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode