• 2 Post By crosshairs
  • 2 Post By Jack of Heats JoH
  • 1 Post By crosshairs
  • 1 Post By mikej
  • 1 Post By Urbanengineer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 06:33 AM Thread Starter

Why we need to pay attention when riding

This poor guy ran off the road and dropped 250' down a hill.

I had a crash corning last year on a cruiser because I was not paying attention to my speed. The corner tightened up and as I leaned into the corned the foot peg caught, then the frame, the rear wheel lost traction and physics took over until the guard rail stop me and the bike. I was very lucky to not need a tow truck or ambulance.

Note in the video the sign posted ahead of the corner is 25 mph and he is just short of 70 mph entering the corner.

Be safe out there and pay attention to your ride, brake AHEAD of the corner then power through it.

JoH

Last edited by Jack of Heats JoH; 08-14-2017 at 07:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack of Heats JoH View Post
This poor guy ran off the road and dropped 250' down a hill.
https://youtu.be/uHDVlZeULQ8

I had a crash corning last year on a cruiser because I was not paying attention to my speed. The corner tightened up and as I leaned into the corned the foot peg caught, then the frame, the rear wheel lost traction and physics took over until the guard rail stop me and the bike. I was very lucky to not need a tow truck or ambulance.

Note in the video the sign posted ahead of the corner is 25 mph and he is just short of 70 mph entering the corner.

Be safe out their and pay attention to your ride, brake AHEAD of the corner then power through it.

JoH
Saw this yesterday on the news out here in Southern CA. The roadways are actually rated for twice the speed of the yellow caution signs. So that nearly 70 is ridiculous. I'm a pretty conservative rider and will only do 10-15 over the caution signs. I just don't have the skill level or balls to go any faster.
weljo2001 likes this.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 08:36 AM

By looking at the speedometer area it looks like the bike is a Yamaha FZ07/09. As you know those bikes are light, fast, inexpensive. I've seen a lot of younger people in the area riding those models, riding like complete jack asses!

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 10:38 AM

Target fixation and panic, not a lack of attention. The FZ could have made that curve without any drama at that speed.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 11:53 AM

This has been all over Facebook and news forums, the popular thinking (including mine) sez the rider on a Yammie R1 or R10 (I forget which) target fixated on the phone pole (you'll see it in the vid,) which launched the bike (which doesn't fly very well.)
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 12:15 PM

Garage
Lots of guys out here in SoCal get bikes and the first thing they want to do is go to the canyons....Then they find out it's not as easy as the videos they have been watching....

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 02:53 PM

Garage
That guy is a complete tool....watch till the end...he says he was only doing about 40 and the bike just wouldn't leanover....
Smiley and Stoley like this.

2016 green V1K
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 06:50 AM

Garage
Previous posts are right, target fixation and not looking where. you are going. Oopsie!

BEST,
ANDY

"ALWAYS IN QUESTION, NEVER IN DOUBT".
Visit me at andyversystheworld on Facebook for Pictures and Updates.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowIsSmooth View Post
Target fixation and panic, not a lack of attention. The FZ could have made that curve without any drama at that speed.
Way too fast for me, but then my tires have chicken strips!
quexpress and Turk like this.

Last edited by Jack of Heats JoH; 08-14-2017 at 09:01 AM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 07:16 AM

Yamaha FZ-10 and later says in interview that he will never ride a motorcycle again because they are dangerous. Sheeeesh
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 10:26 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by troop View Post
Yamaha FZ-10 and later says in interview that he will never ride a motorcycle again because they are dangerous. Sheeeesh
DUH! If he didn't know they were dangerous before, then we now know why he wrecked.

My Versys Travels:

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 02:09 PM

Was probably focused on which song to listen to in his helmet via his cell phone....

*rolleyes*

2017 Versys 650 LT -- Titanium
Debadged, Moto Werk lowering kit, slimmed down OEM seat, Shad SH33 top case, Scorpion Serket Taper exhaust, Moto Werk 1" risers, Grab On grip covers
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 03:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 407guy View Post
Was probably focused on which song to listen to in his helmet via his cell phone....

*rolleyes*
I stream music to my helmet and I have no problems riding ...if something as trivial as music distracts you, you have bigger problems to worry about
16VGTIDave likes this.

2016 green V1K
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 04:38 PM

Garage
I agree, Target Fixation. Been there early in riding years, But was able to recover.
Urbanengineer likes this.

'08 Red V
Mods - Lets just say I probably "NEED" more
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 04:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosshairs View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 407guy View Post

*rolleyes*
I stream music to my helmet and I have no problems riding ...if something as trivial as music distracts you, you have bigger problems to worry about
I think he was referring to LOOKING at his smart phone trying to find a song.

My Versys Travels:

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I think he was referring to LOOKING at his smart phone trying to find a song.
Que Walteriffic

twowheeladdict likes this.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowIsSmooth View Post
I still say not paying attention, if you are paying attention to your ride you will be adjusting your speed selecting the right gear, looking through the corner etc. etc..

I agree with the issue being target fixation and panic.

Likely he was looking at his phone which distracted him from paying attention to his ride then when he looked up going into the corner it was panic and target fixation.

Be safe out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode