• 1 Post By waldowales
  • 2 Post By tonyw
  • 1 Post By tonyw
  • 1 Post By waldowales

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 03:01 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Ebay Crash bars installation.

Hey gang, I bought these crash bars from Ebay and of course, no instructions.

I thought before i start the guesswork, I'd ask around to see if anyone has installed these puppies.

Most of it is straight forward except for a few mounting points and that black triangle bit.

Thanks in advance!

Black Crash Bar Engine Guard Frame Protector for 2015-2016 Kawasaki Versys 650
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cbebay.jpg (76.0 KB, 63 views)

West coast is best coast!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My motovlog

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 04:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I made a start on it but what a disaster!
Bolts are too short. Mounting holes do not line up with mounting points. Bar frame is wrong dimensions. mounting block too small diameter. bad product!
steer clear of this one!
Time to start the refund process.
Anyone recommend crash bars that protect the indicators?

My motovlog

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 04:45 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomasama View Post
I made a start on it but what a disaster!
Bolts are too short. Mounting holes do not line up with mounting points. Bar frame is wrong dimensions. mounting block too small diameter. bad product!
steer clear of this one!
Time to start the refund process.
Anyone recommend crash bars that protect the indicators?
Hepco & Becker bars did a good job protecting the bike during my 30 mph low side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170727_074008_1502444786420.jpg (36.8 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg 20170727_073943_1502444809618.jpg (40.8 KB, 78 views)
Tomasama and Urbanengineer like this.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 01:45 PM

Garage
I just ordered a set of Touratechs from their location in Washington.

I looked at Dimotiv, SW-Motech, Hepco... It was a tough decision trying to balance protection with halfway decent looks.

https://shop.touratech.com/fairing-c...015-black.html
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 02:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bale2011 View Post
I just ordered a set of Touratechs from their location in Washington.

I looked at Dimotiv, SW-Motech, Hepco... It was a tough decision trying to balance protection with halfway decent looks.

https://shop.touratech.com/fairing-c...015-black.html
Damn, wish I saw those before I bought regular frame sliders to replace my bent crash bars.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 02:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indelibility View Post
Damn, wish I saw those before I bought regular frame sliders to replace my bent crash bars.
If you're still interested, I worked with "Iain" at (800) 408-5157. They were $279.95 shipped.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 06:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bale2011 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indelibility View Post
If you're still interested, I worked with "Iain" at (800) 408-5157. They were $279.95 shipped.
I'll look into replacing the new frame sliders with those bars of I crash again, lol. Thanks for the info!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 08:58 PM

I am happy with my TRex engine guard, but I have a Gen 2 (2011). Fit was right on easy installation no mods, cutting or drilling required. I also bought a T Rex triple tree stand I am very happy with.

They do offer a 2015 engine guard TRex Racing 2015 2016 Kawasaki VERSYS 650 Engine Guard Crash Cages Bars. Check ebay and amazon for competitive pricing.

JoH
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 09:26 PM

Those look like the bars I installed on my 2016. Also came with no instructions. I had to spread the left side mounting points with a bumper jack to get them to line up, and I had to bend the shift linkage to clear the bottom mounting bolt, which I installed with no washer to avoid having to bend the linkage even further. The triangular piece bolts to the framework under the headlight and the bars bolt to it. I had to shim that mounting point to keep the bars from hitting the side fairing. Now they are on, they look great, are very sturdy and will probably save a leg and some plastic if it ever goes down, but I can't recommend them because of the haphazard fit and the lack of instructions. I had a couple of large bolts and washers left over, and I'm sure there is no place for them on this bike.
If you want to try installing them, PM me and I'll try to help, but if I were you, I'd send them back.
Tomasama likes this.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 09:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack of Heats JoH View Post
I am happy with my TRex engine guard, but I have a Gen 2 (2011). Fit was right on easy installation no mods, cutting or drilling required. I also bought a T Rex triple tree stand I am very happy with.

They do offer a 2015 engine guard TRex Racing 2015 2016 Kawasaki VERSYS 650 Engine Guard Crash Cages Bars. Check ebay and amazon for competitive pricing.

JoH
T-Rex Racing is coming out with a new design to replace the current engine guard. Got an email from them a few weeks ago.
Quote:
Hi,
The design has been complete and is on the list for production. so it will take some time to be available.

Your business is appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 04:11 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Pure stubbornness has pushed me forward on this and here are the results.
The concept and design is great but the fabrication of these bars sums up " Made in China " and it's reputation. I think these will hold fine but at some point i need to take a blow torch to it and start bending.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170812_104952.jpg (47.0 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg 20170812_113809.jpg (30.9 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg 20170812_113823.jpg (44.3 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg bal.jpg (84.6 KB, 87 views)

My motovlog

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 05:27 AM

Garage
Quote:
The concept and design is great but the fabrication of these bars sums up " Made in China " and it's reputation. I think these will hold fine but at some point i need to take a blow torch to it and start bending.
Wow. That last pic really sums up the poor fabrication. I looked at those no-name brands on Ebay but I got the feeling they were all knock-offs. If you plan to go forward I hope it works for you, but personally I think your V deserves better!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 08:33 AM

a) looks like you would have to remove the bars everytime you would want to remove the cowlings.
b) you couldn`t put a short stalk turn signal, it would be hidden by the bars.
c) you can see the hepco becker closeup here http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...57-post89.html
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Picture one is where I used the bumper jack to increase the distance between mounting brackets. It didn't take too much to spread them enough to fit. I left off the washer on the lower left mount so I didn't have to bend the shift linkage as far to clear the bolt head.
As far as the unevenness goes, I don't know what to tell you. I had to put a thick washer on either side of the stamped steel triangular piece to make the front bars clear the fairings, but they came out even.
It is possible to remove the fairing with the bars in place, just barely.
I put a piece of 1/8" rubber gasket material under the side clamps where the rear bars fasten to the front ones, as the fit is way too loose and I don't want them rattling around.
Tomasama likes this.

Last edited by waldowales; 08-12-2017 at 09:40 PM.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 11:48 PM

Garage
I went with the Hepco and Becker as well.
I had mine powder coated in green.

Im not fussed on an all black bike, but this is the only colour available in Australia.

So I made mine green.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4502.jpg (31.7 KB, 48 views)
ATYC and quexpress like this.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldowales View Post
Picture one is where I used the bumper jack to increase the distance between mounting brackets. It didn't take too much to spread them enough to fit. I left off the washer on the lower left mount so I didn't have to bend the shift linkage as far to clear the bolt head.
As far as the unevenness goes, I don't know what to tell you. I had to put a thick washer on either side of the stamped steel triangular piece to make the front bars clear the fairings, but they came out even.
It is possible to remove the fairing with the bars in place, just barely.
I put a piece of 1/8" rubber gasket material under the side clamps where the rear bars fasten to the front ones, as the fit is way too loose and I don't want them rattling around.
Thats awesome, thanks for the direction on this, I spoke with a dealer and a muffler place but you reply is the best DIY I've heard yet. Versys forum for the win!
I was looking at the triangle bit to see how it attached but it's too much puzzle for me.
Could I trouble you to take a photo of it for reference?
thanks!

My motovlog

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 11:07 PM

Garage
They are very straightforward to install.

I was a little concerned about installing, but I needn't have been.

I have attached a photo and the PDF of the fittings instructions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image 15-8-17 at 2.02 pm.jpg (9.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4605.jpg (16.7 KB, 49 views)
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-14-2017, 11:10 PM

Garage
Looks like I can't attach a PDF.

This link will show you the Fitting Instructions.

http://www.motorcycleadventure.com.a...2522_00_01.pdf
Tomasama likes this.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-15-2017, 09:32 PM

Unfortunately, the link tonyw provided is not for the bars we have, but rather for some better ones, I think. I tried to get a picture of the mounting point for the bracket, but it is hidden behind the headlights and nose cowl, so the picture is not very clear. I am enclosing a diagram from the repair manual, showing the front of the frame. The bracket fastens to those two loops on the front of the steering head, where the fairing fastens. You just can see them under the cowl, looking up from underneath. I had to remove the bolts by feel mostly, although you can get a glimpse of them looking through an opening in the cowl. I hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0815172008.jpg (52.1 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Frame.jpg (60.8 KB, 31 views)
Tomasama likes this.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldowales View Post
Unfortunately, the link tonyw provided is not for the bars we have, but rather for some better ones, I think. I tried to get a picture of the mounting point for the bracket, but it is hidden behind the headlights and nose cowl, so the picture is not very clear. I am enclosing a diagram from the repair manual, showing the front of the frame. The bracket fastens to those two loops on the front of the steering head, where the fairing fastens. You just can see them under the cowl, looking up from underneath. I had to remove the bolts by feel mostly, although you can get a glimpse of them looking through an opening in the cowl. I hope this helps.
All good and many thanks! After seeing Tony's reference/pdf it was enough to extrapolate and mounted the bracket successfully - for the most part.
I'm sticking with the bars. I settled with the supplier and they gave me a partial refund of $100 as compensation ( much haggling required).

I hope this painful experience serves as a warning to others on buying no-name brand crash bars from chinese online vendors...

My motovlog

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode