• 1 Post By andyversystheworld
  • 2 Post By Rebel13
  • 1 Post By dddd
  • 1 Post By GDP RIDER

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Is My Versys Okay?

I have a 2012 Ninja 650 and my 2016 Versys LT. I took the Ninja out for a short ride yesterday and noticed that the motor does not get bogged down below 3k on the tach. I can go down as low as 2.5 to almost 2k and it pulls just fine and smooth. My Versys starts to shake and sputter if I go below 3k. Is there something wrong with my Versys? Are the motors that different? I thought the Versys was supposed to have more torque? Any thoughts, insight?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
You might want to do a little research on the specs for each bike, but I do recall the engines do have different cams in them which changes the power band.

Not sure if each gear in the transmission is the same, or if the final drive ratio is the same.

My '11 Versys was not happy below 3k from 3rd gear through 6th gear.

Do you have stock chain sprockets on both bikes?

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
different cams
different ecu mapping
don't know abt final drive ratio
aboyandhisversys likes this.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 02:35 PM

Garage
Do you have OEM sprockets on?

Which gear(s) do you hear bogging?

My Versys has a 44t rear sprocket (-2 from OEM), reducing torque/increasing speed. I can chug along comfortably at 2.5-3k rpm in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd on flat ground. I try to keep it about 3.5k rpm or higher in 4-6th gears, as it seem to bog more easily.

2011 (Second-Gen) Versys
Urban commuting in St. Louis City. I used to rip 70-miles/day on the Ohio interstate. These days, my Versys doesn't remember the last time it used 5th gear.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

The Versys is stock and I replaced the chain and sprockets on the Ninja last year but they were to factory spec. It's mostly in the lower gears when I'm running around town trying to cruise in between 20-40 mph. Say it's between 2nd and 4th. It just seems to require more shifting than the Ninja when riding in town.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 03:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk View Post
The Versys is stock and I replaced the chain and sprockets on the Ninja last year but they were to factory spec. It's mostly in the lower gears when I'm running around town trying to cruise in between 20-40 mph. Say it's between 2nd and 4th. It just seems to require more shifting than the Ninja when riding in town.
Got it. Well FWIW, my V is comfortable down to about 25mph in 3rd gear, which is the gear I use most for "around town," presuming I'm keeping steady speed on flat ground.

I won't have much torque to accelerate until I reach 30mph or higher, but the engine doesn't really start to bog unless I try to push 3rd gear below 20mph. Take that for what you will.
Turk likes this.

2011 (Second-Gen) Versys
Urban commuting in St. Louis City. I used to rip 70-miles/day on the Ohio interstate. These days, my Versys doesn't remember the last time it used 5th gear.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

I'm guessing 2nd gear is not a problem now that I think about it. Most likely it's 3rd and 4th, will have to pay closer attention to what gear I am in next time. Also, the greater Boston area isn't all that flat, lots of hills and lots of stop and go traffic but again, I'm comparing it to my Ninja in the same environment.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 03:48 PM

How many miles on your LT so far? My '16 V650 worried me initially with the same behavior. Under 3k was extra shaky and almost bucking when trying to apply throttle at lower speeds. Not like any other bike quirk I had experienced I figured it had to be a clutch chatter or chain issue maybe. Only thing I found after a thorough inspection and torquing different mounts and bolts was some slightly loose motor mounts, which helped slightly but it was still pronounced at the time, around 600 miles.

Now at a little over 6000 miles I feel like its become much smoother, not disappeared but it doesnt worry me like it used to. But this bike for sure doesnt want to pull hard below 3k. My bike is all stock, and an oil sample sent to Blackstone at 5K had very positive results.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 03:54 PM

Garage
Mine does not like life much below 3k, I usually keep things above 4K and all is happy.
Enjoy!
Turk likes this.

BEST,
ANDY

"ALWAYS IN QUESTION, NEVER IN DOUBT".
Visit me at andyversystheworld on Facebook for Pictures and Updates.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by asphaltaddict33 View Post
How many miles on your LT so far?
My bike is around 1,200 or so... haven't checked recently, usually have the tripmeter on display. So it seems like it's just the bike's character then. Okay, appreciate all the feedback and so quickly. Thanks, everyone!

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 08:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I too rarely let mine go below 4K.

2015 650 Versys
Iron Butt Association
Injuries: 20 broken bones & 14 metal pieces
Old woman riding since 1982

The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A (wo)man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.
Mark Twain
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 09:37 PM

Big difference on mine (27000 miles) from new air filter mounted w/o flow around it, new plugs, and the vacuum line between the two throttle bodies. Big difference. No bogging, smoother running, easier driving.

Dr. Toaster: Guzzi 1400 California, VStrom 1000
Mrs. Toaster: 2009 Versys 650
Located 50 miles W of Deals Gap aka Dragon
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 10:07 PM

Garage
It is normal, they are tuned completely differently even though they have the same engine and gearing. I have both bikes too. The Ninja doesn't start to bog till near 2k and the Versys is about 3k. The Versys is tuned for more lower to mid range torque where as the Ninja is tuned for more top end.

It is normal, but a pain switching from one bike to another with simular riding habits and engines but having different performance outcomes. The Ninja is far easier to work with. The Versys is less forgiving.
onewizard and Turk like this.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 07:38 AM

I had the ninja 650 2011 before the versys 650.
I confirm it was smoother and less shaky at low rpms than versys.
Turk likes this.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Thanks again, everyone. Just need to adapt to the bike. Glad it's normal... I guess.

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-05-2017, 01:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyversystheworld View Post
Mine does not like life much below 3k, I usually keep things above 4K and all is happy.
Enjoy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfla1 View Post
I too rarely let mine go below 4K.
Same, anything below and it bogs down.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk View Post
I have a 2012 Ninja 650 and my 2016 Versys LT. I took the Ninja out for a short ride yesterday and noticed that the motor does not get bogged down below 3k on the tach. I can go down as low as 2.5 to almost 2k and it pulls just fine and smooth. My Versys starts to shake and sputter if I go below 3k. Is there something wrong with my Versys? Are the motors that different? I thought the Versys was supposed to have more torque? Any thoughts, insight?
I also had a 2012 Ninja 650 I traded for the 2015 Versys. I have found the same to be true. I could lug that Ninja around like a tractor at 2500 and up without shuddering. Not so with the Versys and I was very surprised at the difference. I had the impression with the "increase in low rev torque of the Versys", I would be able to do the same. I don't know if the extra weight is a factor or not, but it wants to be well above 3K and prefers 4K and above. Not a huge deal, just kinda surprising given the marketing verbage.
Turk likes this.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 10:07 PM

Same thing here. I have the two teeth less sprocket in back, so even more so. I have gotten used to down shifting to first gear for some hard 90 degree turns in the city.

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 11:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I think it's safe to say that all the 2015 up bikes have lost some on the low end due to a different state of tune-mine to didn't like anything below 4,000rpm -but have you tried higher octane gas-usually I would say no that's not going to do any good-well awhile back someone on this forum mentioned their bike ran better on 89 octane most bikes run fine on 87 and some hate higher octane but I tried it- I'M SHOCKED at the difference to the low end it is much smoother down to 2,500- 3,000 rpm-might want to try it

Deep in Cajun Country
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode