Bicycle Rack? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Bicycle Rack?

Can any of you Versys owners suggest a way to carry a mountain bike safely? My local trails to ride are 10 to 20 minutes away and it sure would be fun to invent a rack of some sort...Any ideas...Suggestions...:interesting My Haro Shift R1 is 30 lbs. and has quick release wheels.. Thanks people
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mountain bike 014.jpg (1,010.9 KB, 420 views)

2013 White 650 Versys...Purrs like a kitty cat...
2007 Yamaha WR250F...Dirt Ripper...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 12:39 PM

tow it?
front wheel lifted onto the Versys?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 12:41 PM

could possibly put a clamp bar hanging off the rear which acts as quick release axle clamp for the mountian bikes front forks. stow the front wheel on the towed mountain bike. not to sure how the cycle will tow though, you may need to lock the forks

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 01:35 PM

I'm not sure what you should do, but when you figure it out you have to post pictures!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 01:59 PM

There are a couple of people doing this. I saw a guy go by this year on the Blue Ridge Parkway with a mountain bike on the back of his GS 800. Do a search over on adventure rider.com I’m sure some of those knuckleheads have some “opinions” and advice.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 02:00 PM

Talking Bicycle Rack

Somebody on the V-Strom Forum has built his own carrying rack for his mountain bike and used it to transport his bike hundreds of miles.
Just go to the forum and search for "bicycle rack"!
The rack looks really substantial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mminob View Post
Can any of you Versys owners suggest a way to carry a mountain bike safely? My local trails to ride are 10 to 20 minutes away and it sure would be fun to invent a rack of some sort...Any ideas...Suggestions...:interesting My Haro Shift R1 is 30 lbs. and has quick release wheels.. Thanks people
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 02:07 PM

check this place out .
http://2x2cycles.com/
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 04:10 PM

That is so cool!

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Guys..

This 2x2 rack looks great..Turn8a....I just got back from riding some single track trails on my mountainbike ...took it there in the back of my truck ...but I think the next time I go... it will be on the back of my Versys

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 05:52 PM

This is something I looked into last fall. There is also this company, but they make bike specific mounts, and have nothing for the V.
http://www.cafemotos.com/johnnyrack/Enter.html

There are a couple of threads over on advrider.com covering the topic, displaying folks' various home-brewed versions.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=567940

I was planning on mounting one of the Thule racks from my car to my SW-Motech Alu Rack. I was considering mounting it off to one side so I could still carry something on the rear rack, but a center mount coulld require as little as simply bolting the bike rack to the Alu Rack.

I have yet to get around to putting it together, however. With school, I have no spare time to ride my bicycle, let alone cobble the rack together.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 06:18 PM

Garage
I used to be on the SV650 forum. A guy there built a rack for his bike. The bike hung off on one side, and the front tire was set on the other.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 04:31 PM

I too am an avid mountain biker and racer, I ride a few thousand miles a year. I seen a guy show up to a weekend gathering on a heavily loaded KLX a few years ago and it's been on my mind ever since. His was a simple rack made from plywood. Ugly, but effective.

I have been thinking about this since I got my Versys in March, and have come up with a few ideas, nothing on paper just in my head. Should be very inexpensive to make a rack.

I think what stopped me was all the gear. On the ride to the trails on the Versys I have all the protective gear and then when I get to the trails I have to completely change to bicycle gear. I have a bike helmet, shoes, camelbak and bike specific clothing. So all the MC gear has to be secured while riding the bicycle. I only have soft bags and I'm perplexed with finding a secure place for all my MC gear.

I think larger hard case side bags would be ideal. But that greatly adds to the expense of the project for me.

The idea is still rolling around in my head though. And with winter coming it's quite possible something interesting will roll out on the Versys in the spring... a Specialized Epic Marathon 29er...
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindWalker View Post
I think what stopped me was all the gear. On the ride to the trails on the Versys I have all the protective gear and then when I get to the trails I have to completely change to bicycle gear. I have a bike helmet, shoes, camelbak and bike specific clothing. So all the MC gear has to be secured while riding the bicycle. I only have soft bags and I'm perplexed with finding a secure place for all my MC gear.
Yeah, I hear you on this. I have the the hard sidecases, though. Really, from a balance/slow speed controllability perspective, I don't know if I would want to do this with a bike as "light" and tall as the V, without using my sidecases. They distribute additional mass downward and laterally, counteracting the raised mass of the bike, and the sail effect.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Bicycle transport issues...

Yeah, these are valid concerns and are really giving me second thoughts on this adventure... project... however...windwalker...I want that Specialized Epic Marathon 29er also... and it only has a MSRP of $6,000.00 but it sure would look good on the back of my green 09 Versys

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 08:45 PM
cls

That is cool. I may have to look into that.

Thanks much.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mminob View Post
however...windwalker...I want that Specialized Epic Marathon 29er also... and it only has a MSRP of $6,000.00 but it sure would look good on the back of my green 09 Versys
Yeah it is funny to think that the Epic cost almost as much as the Versys. I've had many, many bikes, and I'm very happy with it. The new 2011 S-Works Epic 29er lists for over $9,000... That's just crazy...

Fortunately I work part time as a wrench for my local bike shop, so I get a nice discount. I also race for them.

I have a green 09 also.

I think the rack will probably be born from winter bordom. If nothing else it'll spark alot of conversation at the trailhead. Like I said it's been on my mind for awhile and riding has slowed down till it's time to start training again. I usually cut back pretty hard in Dec. and January to recover from a long year of riding and get back at it in Feb.

We'll see...
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 06:35 PM

Garage
SV650 thread. http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=40403

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode