Bing's Minion - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ATYC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Bing's Minion

I don't give bikes a name as a rule but my mates believe my 2009 Versys 650 looks like a minion front on so that name has stuck.

My mission is to "improve" the bike to my taste and I have arrived at this point from a long line of Euro bikes (Ducati's 900SS 92 & 02 models, ST2 and a heavily modified 900 Monster, Cagiva Navigator, KTM690 motard, stack of KTM enduros 450, 350, Husaberg FE350 and a Beta 300 Xtrainer. The Euro's have a certain way of building bikes and don't engage the bracket industry to the same level as Jap bikes.

I have thus begun a series of mods to both lighten and improve the usability of my Versys. I don't expect to turn it into a sportsbike killer but I'm sure a well ridden Versys will suprise a few. I am not going to extreme levels just remvoing stuff I simply don't need. The pillon brackets and pegs weren't needed. The lower panels covering the bottom of the motor went (I'm 50/50 on their look not the very minor weight loss). A large number of brackets and bolts went. You don't need all those footpeg mount bolts do you No - all the structural bits must remain and the bike must be able to carry a decent luggage load. Mirrors were replaced by smaller units and the rear mudguard/number plate holder went after a fall over in the garage broke the area where the rear indicator was mounted.

The boat anchor exhaust went and was replaced by a Mivv Storm exhaust giving a nice 4-5 kg loss right there. And I know, I know, I know it was weight down low but it is still weight. A fat girl with skinny legs weighs less than a fat girl with fat legs. I replaced the standard brake lines with braided units for better performance. I moved and changed the rear master cylinder and trimmed the line length because I just can't fathom why such a complicated arrangement was made??? A SSB lithium battery has been fitted to replace the worthy but weighty Yuasa unit. About 3kgs right there! I've had these batteries in multiple enduro bikes and my Monster and they are a quality battery.

Some weight has gone back on in the shape of BarkBuster Storm guards, a Rad Guard radiator guard and a GPS mount. Protection is a must especially when you see how I ride.

I'm open to suggestion on other improvements. I'm guessing an approximate 10kg loss which won't rock your world but does make things like accelerating, braking and picking up your bike that percentage wise bit better. I'm fully appreciative of the lose weight yourself argument which is fine if you're 120kgs but I'm about 78 with a wet t-shirt on (not a pretty sight). Plus it gives me something to do whilst the reality tv shows are on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4114.JPG (278.4 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4145.JPG (139.4 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4147.JPG (68.2 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4148.JPG (109.0 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4150.JPG (144.6 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4151.JPG (58.9 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4142.JPG (125.8 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4153.JPG (158.9 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4154.JPG (100.3 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by Bing O; 07-21-2017 at 07:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 02:27 AM

Garage
Man! I have a gen 1, and I love the looks. I like it better than the updated gen 2 & 3's. I've had it for seven years...

...and now I'm never gonna un-see the one eyed Minion goggled face that is my bike!

Yours look great!
Bing O likes this.

Always trust your cape.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 03:38 AM Thread Starter

I think the original throttle has too much rotation before full throttle is reached often meaning second grab or an unusual extension of the wrist. I've just added a G2 Quick turn throttle for the Versys 650. It is better than the original but the rotation required is not as quick as I thought it might be so there is still good calibration at all settings. There seemed to be very little room to accommodate it in the throttle housing and it took a little fiddling to get the throttle to snap back as it should. Recommended though and not the big step you think it might be. It does of course make the bike feel more powerful at first because grabbing the same amount of throttle as you used to do results in more actual throttle being applied. This changes over time as you get used to them.

Sorry no pics but here is an internet pic which is similar to mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg G2.jpg (34.0 KB, 15 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode