• 2 Post By silviefox
  • 3 Post By motorboy
  • 1 Post By Arion
  • 2 Post By kenr74

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Towing Versys behind a car?

Hey there!

I've been riding my 650 year around for a few years now and I just bought an old 1999 Subaru Legacy hatchback (a little lower to the ground than an outback).

I'd like to tow my versys and was originally thinking to get a trailer, but saw these.

Motorcycle Receiver Hitch Hauler Trailer Tow Dolly Carrier Kawasak Yamaha Harley

Motorcycle 2" Receiver Trailer Hitch Carrier Pull Behind Hauler Tow Towing Rack | eBay

Has anyone had any experience towing a versys with something like this or specifically these models?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 10:18 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
never used one of those , tho have towed a dirt bike with the front tire strapped to the rear rack of my quad, tho when i towed my versys i did it with my little trailer that ive towed close to 100 bikes on.. get a harbor freight 4X8 4 lug folding trailer (i welded mine up so it doesnt fold anymore) and a front wheel chalk. then you can tow way more then just your bike... and if the worst happens a strap pops (have had it happen to me) you dont loose you bike into the road like you would if it was towed as a roll behind
hfjeff and crosshairs like this.

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 10:33 PM

Garage
You would have to remove the chain-the transmission is forced lubed so without the engine running bearings and gears will not get enough oil
quexpress, dddd and Brockie like this.

Deep in Cajun Country

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 09:14 AM

Ooooh, I like my bikes too much to risk using something like that. My solution was (is) the "Port-A-Chopper" motorcycle transporter. Not a "welcome everyone" product name (I don't own any choppers) but it's a fine product. It is not cheap (what is that's of good quality?); however, it's a very well-made, excellent design that can be easily disassembled and stored in a relatively small space when not in use. I chose the single rail version.

It's made by QC Metal Fab, Inc., Elkhart, Indiana (Motorcycle Cargo Trailers : Motorcycle Transporter : Motorcycle Trailer for Sale : PortaChopper.com) The only place I've ever seen it advertised is in the AMA Magazine. Saw the advert, called the company and after an informative conversation, ordered a single rail with the optional fenders, 12 inch tires, and spare wheel/tire. It arrived in several heavy boxes and took less than an hour to complete the initial assembly. After that it can be assembled and disassembled without tools.

I've transported motorcycles varying in size and weight from our BMW K75S, Versys 650, and Suzuki TU250X behind our Jetta Sportwagen diesel with perfect confidence. I've almost forgotten it's there. It tracks straight as an arrow, has compliant torsion suspension, is easy to load and off load, and is built to last.

It has a lot going for it actually. It's less expensive than other quality bike transporters, doesn't take up anywhere as much storage space, isn't as heavy, and doesn't cause me to wonder whether my bike will suddenly decide to part company from the "stick-it-in-the-hitch-receiver-with-front-wheel-only-off-the-ground carrier. Oh yeah, and when I offload the bike both the front and rear tires will have the same number of miles on them.
silviefox likes this.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Last edited by Arion; 07-21-2017 at 09:22 AM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 01:34 PM

Harbor Freight trailer. I don't know how many thousands of miles I have on mine but it has been bullet proof.
silviefox and hfjeff like this.

1974 Kawasaki F11
2004 Yamaha WR450 plated
2014 Kawasaki Versys 650
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 06:35 AM

Not a fan of those. Saw someone pulling out of the track with one once, and the way the bike leaned/twisted...didn't look like that would be a good thing. Plus, you're wearing down your rear tire. If you must tow, at least get one of the really good hitch-mounted carriers. Not really a fan of those, either, but better than trying to pull it by the front wheel. If your vehicle has the capacity, a small open trailer (5x8-ish) would be a far better, safer option.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 11:46 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGalToo View Post
Not a fan of those. Saw someone pulling out of the track with one once, and the way the bike leaned/twisted...didn't look like that would be a good thing. Plus, you're wearing down your rear tire. If you must tow, at least get one of the really good hitch-mounted carriers. Not really a fan of those, either, but better than trying to pull it by the front wheel. If your vehicle has the capacity, a small open trailer (5x8-ish) would be a far better, safer option.
dont use a side mount hitch bike carrier with a suv or anything with a rear window.... guy that bought my ninja used one loaded the bike onto it strapped it all down and started to back out of my drive way then BOOM. his rear window is all over my driveway

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 04:42 PM

I welded up a hitch mounted carrier that took my Versys over 1000 miles (two one way trips from Dallas to New Mexico). Works fine behind a full size pickup, but a 500-550 lb tongue weight is way too much for a Legacy. Both the hitch loading and the balance of the vehicle would be very wrong/dangerous. That's the zero wheel on the ground option.

For one wheel on the ground, you'd either need to remove the chain (to avoid the lube problems mentioned above) or turn the bike around and lift the back wheel off the ground.....rolling on the front (with steering locked in the center position). Even with a wheel still on the ground, you're probably pushing things for a Legacy wagon (I own an Outback and my max tow rating is 2700 lbs with a 200 lb maximum tongue weight).

Trailer is probably a better option.

FYI....if anyone with a big pickup wants a hitch carrier, let me know. I'd like to get it out of my shed.

Last edited by rronald; 07-22-2017 at 04:44 PM. Reason: mention that hitch carrier is no longer needed
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks y'all!

Tailer does seem like the 'duh' option - I didn't think through the extra wear on the drive train w/ front wheel towing

The harbour freight trailers are a pretty good price too! I'll definitely do that unless I find a nice used tailer.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 10:09 AM

I made and used one similar to the second link. I was pulling an 83' Suzuki GN400. I pulled the bike a total of about 3000 miles (only used once). It worked fine (you had to lift the front end up into the tire carrier) except for one thing. When you turned a 90* corner the bike would actually lean over so far you lost sight of it in the mirror. One time when I completed the corner the bike did not come back upright. I noticed it right away and stopped but it would have dragged and caused damage to the bike if I had not been watching.

I would advise as the others...........get a trailer and save some grief.

PS......I removed the chain before towing. Kind of like dropping the drive line on a car prior to towing.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 12:23 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Rotten Ronnie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
I made and used one similar to the second link. I was pulling an 83' Suzuki GN400. I pulled the bike a total of about 3000 miles (only used once). It worked fine (you had to lift the front end up into the tire carrier) except for one thing. When you turned a 90* corner the bike would actually lean over so far you lost sight of it in the mirror. One time when I completed the corner the bike did not come back upright. I noticed it right away and stopped but it would have dragged and caused damage to the bike if I had not been watching.

I would advise as the others...........get a trailer and save some grief.

PS......I removed the chain before towing. Kind of like dropping the drive line on a car prior to towing.

I welded up a class 1 hitch for my KLR and experienced much the same results. Backing it up was pretty much useless.

There isn't much wear on the rear as you would think as the tire is not powered so you only get a downwards force from the weight. Slipping the chain on and off was a bugger.

Later on I ended up using a friends HF trailer with chalk to pick up the Versys. Pulled like a dream behind my civic, although I wouldn't want to do that in the mountains.

I'd definitely go with a trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2009 Kawasaki Versys 650, 2001 Honda XR400R (street plated)
Ride Reports and other drivel:

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017, 01:16 PM

If you want to stay small and light I have seen this one used for dirt bikes and dual sports. Get a piece of channel wide enough for the Versys tires and bolt it to the top.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1090-l...ler-62665.html

I'm not sure I would ever sell my 4x8 version though. It defines "utility" trailer.

1974 Kawasaki F11
2004 Yamaha WR450 plated
2014 Kawasaki Versys 650
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode