riding gravel/Forest Roads on Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2010, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
riding gravel/Forest Roads on Versys

Is anybody using their Versys as a dual sport as in riding gravel forest roads? If you have took the plunge how much damage has it done to the cosmetics? I have a 2010 with a new Arrow pipe and can't bring myself to take it off the asphalt. I now have my Triumph Scrambler(another bike I can't bring myself to ride the gravel) for sale or trade for a dual sport of the ADV web site. I have had in the pass a DR650, KLR650, DRZ400 that I used for riding Arkansas gravel.
Life is short and I hate to do it but I may be getting another one of them. I also added to ad the XR650L, TE610, TE450, KTM 690 Enduro(these 4 will cost what the Versys cost
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0437 (Small) (Small) (Small).JPG (57.3 KB, 105 views)

04 Triumph Bonneville 904 SE
08 Suzuki B King
10 Kawasaki 650 Versys
Vietnam 1969-1971
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2010, 09:58 PM

Your Versys will get dusty.
That's about it.

Well, unless you dump it in the gravel, but I haven't done that yet, so I can't speak from experience.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:45 PM

I ride my 09 on gravel everyday. It's 20 miles round trip from my house to my shop and 16 miles of that is gravel. I did put a 120/90 on the front and run about 23-24 psi which helps a bunch!
When I'm just out riding, I'm always looking for new gravel roads to ride.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowDoc View Post
I ride my 09 on gravel everyday. It's 20 miles round trip from my house to my shop and 16 miles of that is gravel. I did put a 120/90 on the front and run about 23-24 psi which helps a bunch!
When I'm just out riding, I'm always looking for new gravel roads to ride.
Where do you live? It sounds very peaceful to and from work.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:03 AM

Which 120/90 tire do you use? Do you think that profile of the tire matters a lot, or is airing the tires down more significant?
Old 12-09-2010, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh View Post
Where do you live? It sounds very peaceful to and from work.
I live in southern IL. on a gravel road...lol. I have to ride about one mile in any direction to even get to a blacktop road. I can ride blacktop the rest of the way from there, but I almost always take the gravel.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretbek View Post
Which 120/90 tire do you use? Do you think that profile of the tire matters a lot, or is airing the tires down more significant?
I am using the shinko 705's now. I am more use to 21" front tires, and just didn't like the short factory front tire. I think it's a combination of the taller tire and lower air pressure for me. More rim protection to.

The factory low profile tire felt really weird to me under inflated, so I ran it at normal pressure and it was ok in the straights, but was a washout ready to happen at any kind of a turn in loose gravel
Old 12-09-2010, 07:41 PM

Not a problem - even without taking some pressure out of the tires. If you are used to dirt riding then you won't panic with a little twist and slide now and then - I even got bored and would kick out the back end (just a bit for fun)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Foo Fighter Rider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in