• 3 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By weljo2001
  • 1 Post By invader

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Chain Questions

Are X Ring chains really better than O ring chains besides anecdotal evidence?

Are there brands that rust/corrode less than others?

What brand/model do you recommend?

Is 520 x 114 links what I need with OEM sprocket sizes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 10:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Yes X ring chains are much better they last a lot longer and only cost a little more-as far as rust etc if you keep them lubed no problem-I have never had one rust-but I clean and lube every 400 miles-and after using every chain lube on the planet in 50+ years I like the Honda one with molly(white can) the best-also best chains for the money that I have used are EK X ring
aboyandhisversys likes this.

Deep in Cajun Country
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
yes its better and i use DID chains

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Do people generally use the clip type master link that comes with DID chain? Or is it worth buying the rivet master link?

2008 Kawasaki Versys
1980 Suzuki GS550L
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 12:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pen200 View Post
Do people generally use the clip type master link that comes with DID chain? Or is it worth buying the rivet master link?
some people say a clip style will cause you to crash and die a firey death.... but ive been using them for all my life and never had one fail (other then once when i installed the wrong clip and in the wrong direction) and i ride aggressively.... make sure you have it facing the correct direction and also make sure you have the o/x rings installed on it. once installed put a drop of super glue in the center part of the clip (glueing it to the backing plate not the pins) then once the glue is dry pain the master link with some spray paint or nail polish or paint pen then when you fuel up or park for the day just take a look to see if the clip is still there if you are worried about it... (also makes cleaning and oiling chain easier because it makes it easy to tell when youve gone thru the full chain
weljo2001 likes this.

yes im a guy.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 10:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
some people say a clip style will cause you to crash and die a firey death.... but ive been using them for all my life and never had one fail (other then once when i installed the wrong clip and in the wrong direction) and i ride aggressively.... make sure you have it facing the correct direction and also make sure you have the o/x rings installed on it. once installed put a drop of super glue in the center part of the clip (glueing it to the backing plate not the pins) then once the glue is dry pain the master link with some spray paint or nail polish or paint pen then when you fuel up or park for the day just take a look to see if the clip is still there if you are worried about it... (also makes cleaning and oiling chain easier because it makes it easy to tell when youve gone thru the full chain
You must be one lucky fellow or live under a magic star--I would never- ever ride a street bike with a clip master link-I have seen to many come off-doing bad things to life and bike-to me it's just not worth it-and it only needs to happen once-but that's just me

Deep in Cajun Country
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 10:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorboy View Post
You must be one lucky fellow or live under a magic star--I would never- ever ride a street bike with a clip master link-I have seen to many come off-doing bad things to life and bike-to me it's just not worth it-and it only needs to happen once-but that's just me
no i just make sure to maintain my stuff and do things right... all the clip fails ive seen the people dont take care of there chain or put the clip on backwards or bend the hell out of it putting it on and taking it off, or they and no 0 rings on it......

yes im a guy.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 11:57 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
You mean never anywhere near aggressive at all.
lol tell us how you really feel..

and i guess this is
and yes when im riding with others (who are less experienced riders) i ride FAR less aggressive and far more defectively..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 108.jpg (21.6 KB, 42 views)

yes im a guy.

Last edited by onewizard; 07-21-2017 at 10:53 AM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 10:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
You mean never anywhere near aggressive at all.
I sure hope Silviefox is a good friend of yours for talking about him like that-and I don't know how others feel but bashing someone like that on the internet about their sexuality is just so wrong and in VERY bad taste-If I ran this site I would throw you off right now.........

Deep in Cajun Country

Last edited by onewizard; 07-21-2017 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Last highlighted statement is a extreme option, warnings first, then PM's, consider this a warning to whom it may concern
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 11:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorboy View Post
I sure hope Silviefox is a good friend of yours for talking about him like that-and I don't know how others feel but bashing someone like that on the internet about their sexuality is just so wrong and in VERY bad taste-If I ran this site I would throw you off right now.........
some times i don't know how serious he really is...(text doesnt convey sarcasm very well)

yes im a guy.

Last edited by onewizard; 07-21-2017 at 11:00 AM.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 06:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Hey, you liked Motorboy's post, but not mine... I'm gonna need some backup here for the great battle.
I thought this forum was for all Versys folks and this thread was about motorcycle chains. Being new to the versys and moving from a belt drive I want to learn about the versys from experienced owners.

Please let's get back on topic.

That said I also don't know why one has to state their sexual orientation or other lifestyle choices in their signature and add it to every post. That in your face promotion of one's lifestyle choice is bound to get response from others who do not agree with that lifestyle.

Let's just stick to motorcycles, oil and tire arguments are bad enough.

JoH

Last edited by Jack of Heats JoH; 07-21-2017 at 07:48 AM.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 09:29 AM

Garage
Quote:
Hey, you liked Motorboy's post, but not mine... I'm gonna need some backup here for the great battle.
you better go round up the local moose then huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack of Heats JoH View Post
I thought this forum was for all Versys folks and this thread was about motorcycle chains. Being new to the versys and moving from a belt drive I want to learn about the versys from experienced owners.

That said I also don't know why one has to state their sexual orientation or other lifestyle choices in their signature and add it to every post. That in your face promotion of one's lifestyle choice is bound to get response from others who do not agree with that lifestyle.

JoH
id have to agree, only reason its stated in the bottom was to remove confusion of people thinking i was a female (people mistake Silvie for Silvia i guess)

yes im a guy.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Your Post describes it best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack of Heats JoH View Post

JoH
We are all adults on this forum, getting a notification of a reported post due to what happened in this thread isn't something I wish to deal with a second time, staying on topic , use the edit function and if you have problems with certain members, there is a ignore function in user CP.Better yet instead of the edit function, read your post over before and immediately after you post, pretend this was posted by someone else addressed to you, then edit if you are offended by what you read.

Since some of these posts have no place in this thread, expect to see Edited By Onewizard FYI I just received my Motion Pro slack chain tool, came in early, so thanks to posts on this forum http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ght=motion+pro

I
BLACK DOG, BEACHBUM and quexpress like this.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Are X Ring chains really better than O ring chains besides anecdotal evidence?

Are there brands that rust/corrode less than others?

What brand/model do you recommend?

Is 520 x 114 links what I need with OEM sprocket sizes?
Yes, 520 x 114 links with OEM 15T and 46T sprockets.

Most good street chains are X-ring. They also offer reduced friction compared to o-ring... Nickel plated chains are said to be more corrosion resistant. My DID Japan made VM520 (no longer available) gold colored chain is still rust free.

Motomummy released a good chain review a few years ago. You can actually go overkill on chain strength as with EK's zzz chain. EK's mvxz chain is said to be more rust resistant if it's not the plain silver which has no plating.

forum.motomummy.com/index.php?/topic/70-motomummy-chain-review/

Last edited by invader; 07-21-2017 at 03:51 PM.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
We are all adults on this forum, getting a notification of a reported post due to what happened in this thread isn't something I wish to deal with a second time, staying on topic , use the edit function and if you have problems with certain members, there is a ignore function in user CP.Better yet instead of the edit function, read your post over before and immediately after you post, pretend this was posted by someone else addressed to you, then edit if you are offended by what you read.

Since some of these posts have no place in this thread, expect to see Edited By Onewizard FYI I just received my Motion Pro slack chain tool, came in early, so thanks to posts on this forum http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ght=motion+pro

I

invader likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 04:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
You gotta love weljo2001's awesome and timely humour... Thank you for referring to this fascinating historic moment indeed!
weljo2001 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode