Broke in my NEW '09 yesterday! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Broke in my NEW '09 yesterday!

I got a HELLUVA deal, so I stepped up to the plate and bought a brand new '09 - green (anyone called theirs "the Green Hornet"...?) - which was delivered to my place on Tuesday, to accompany my '08, "Big Red".

I spent the rest of Tuesday, and Wednesday and Thursday, prepping it and installing the MotoWerk 'peg lowering and mirror widening stuff, pretty much same as the '08. I remove, blue-Loctite then re-install and torque things like the caliper bolts. One on a front caliper was ONLY finger-tight, so check yours out!

I hope the H-B guards will arrive soon.

So, yesterday it was looking settled, so I saddled-up and rode 50 miles riding it like I stole it http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm, then changed the oil and filter. Next change will be at 150 miles, 500, then 1,500 when in goes Mobil 1 15w-50. Felt good, and I noticed that the mirrors on '09s are positioned wider by about 1" on the left mirror (different perches), but I think the mirror extenders are still a good idea.

Today I removed the CA canister, added a 3-way hose barb to join the 3 tubes and tied them out of the way - I didn't feel like removing the tank to shorten them up, just yet, anyway - then added longer bolts, a stack of washers and a piece of 1/8" stock to raise the front of the seat.

Once I get back up north I'll probably shed a tear when I sell my '04 KLR.

Here's a picture of my shop. BTW, I put the cardboard under to catch the WD40 when I spray my chains.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05447.jpg (817.4 KB, 207 views)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 02:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
15/50 is that gold top car oil.
and will the clutch slip only asking as I have some and considered putting it in my 2010
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 03:10 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen View Post
and will the clutch slip only asking as I have some and considered putting it in my 2010
Heavier than W-30 auto oil are not energy conserving rated, but may still contain friction modifiers... W-50 oil is better for very hot riding conditions. Otherwise, W-40 is the prefered choice.

15% off (25% off for members) in UK: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/t-Current-Offer.aspx

Mobil 1 USA:
"So how is Mobil 1 for passenger cars different from Mobil 1 for motorcycles?

First, let's be clear about Mobil 1's overall benefits compared to those of conventional motor oils, whether for passenger cars or motorcycles:

Superior long-term engine protection.

Superior high-temperature stability.

Excellent low-temperature starting.

Outstanding engine performance.

Low volatility/low oil consumption

It's a little hard to generalize about the difference between Mobil 1 passenger-car motor oils and Mobil 1 motorcycle oils. That's because not all viscosities of Mobil 1 passenger-car oils have the same levels of zinc and phosphorus, and there are even greater differences among the three Mobil 1 motorcycle oils. In general, Mobil 1 motorcycle oils have:

Additive packages balanced differently for motorcycle engine and transmission operation. For passenger vehicles, fuel economy and emission system protection are higher priorities. These require low phosphorus systems and the use of friction modifiers. Motorcycle oils do not require friction modifiers for fuel economy and for better clutch friction less/no friction modifier is optimum. Motorcycle oils allow the use of higher levels of antiwear additives such as ZDDP (phosphorous)."

http://www.mobiloil.com/usa-english/...AQs.aspx#FAQs3

Last edited by invader; 12-05-2010 at 03:27 AM.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 05:16 AM

So 15/50 mobil i is not suitable for the V ?????????

Have you seen the MCN report on car v m/c oils.
Also the F/Blade thats cover over 900k on GTX car oil.

Last edited by stephen; 12-05-2010 at 05:19 AM.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 06:20 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
MCN only performed a Relative Viscosity Retention test between 3 automotive oils and 2 motorcycle oils: http://www.xs11.com/xs11-info/articl...tive-oils.html
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
Today I removed the CA canister, added a 3-way hose barb to join the 3 tubes and tied them out of the way....
Is this all you have to do to remove the can? What does the can do??? I would like to ditch mine if this will not harm anything...

Just did a search on the subject and answered my own questions... Doh!

Last edited by Capn Kirk; 12-05-2010 at 07:26 AM.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I got a HELLUVA deal, so I stepped up to the plate and bought a brand new '09 - green (anyone called theirs "the Green Hornet"...?) - which was delivered to my place on Tuesday, to accompany my '08, "Big Red".
Why did you buy a second one?
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by objectuser View Post
He fall for the Green Hornet trap..

Anyway 2 V's. wow that's cool man.

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
I've used Mobil 1 15w-50 (car oil) in my KLR for YEARS, and MANY miles - NO problems, and it's what was referred to as the "Red Cap". I started using Mobil 1 (10W-30 car oil) in my '03 Bandit 1200S - OVER 100 hp - after a dragracer and I compared notes. His B12 drag bike runs on 5w-30 Mobil 1 car oil (ENERGY CONSERVING!) with no clutch issues, and, over about 18,000 miles - NEITHER did I!

Quote:
So 15/50 mobil i is not suitable for the V ?????????
When I got to about 4,833 miles on my '08 Versys I changed over to Mobil 1 15w-50 car oil. Mileage is now 20,430 - and NO problems (just changed oil and filter today).

Quote:
Originally Posted by objectuser View Post
I love my "V" so much that, when I found a super deal on BRAND NEW '09s at Adrenalin MotorSports in Casa Grande, AZ ($4495 plus fees...), I talked it over with my wife, and then made a deal to buy a green '09 to take back to Canada to replace the KLR (which will be for sale come April...), and I'm now in process of "farkling" it like my '08, and getting it broken-in, in the unlikely event that it has some issues before we head north in April.

I realized that I never ride 'single-track' anymore, and I DO ride my "V" on dirt roads (street rubber!), so no real reason to keep the KLR.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 11:16 AM
cls

Congrats. and understood. I have 3 V's. I haven't found another bike that fits my "needs" categories as well, yet still is fun and economical. The ST has 16T gearing; the solo workhorse/AT bike has 44T gearing; and the "sport" has stock gearing. All have TBR slip-ons and Grip Puppies. One of the best things on this bike is that it's acceptable w/minimal mods. Anything I'd gain from a change (In mods. or to another bike.) usually requires a compromise I'm not willing to settle for. The only other thing I see doing is suspension mods down the road, and I can't really decide if I want to mess w/that, or not. I'll decide after I've thoroughly tinkered w/the stock stuff.

Enjoy.

Last edited by cls; 12-06-2010 at 01:13 PM.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 12:06 PM

04 klr

Hey Eddie, now you have two and I still have none although you're most definitely not to blame for my lack of a Versys. Good for you for picking up another.

How much are you going to want for your KLR? What's the mileage? I will post to the Sask Dual Sport site if you want, in case there are any takers there.

Chris
2017 Versys X
1991 TS200R

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 02:37 PM

I love that green with the black wheels.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasgraham View Post
I love that green with the black wheels.
Me too, but I wish they (the wheels) were shiny rather than satin finish....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 12:38 PM

Dangit fasteddie! Every time I see your thread in the listing, I think it says "I broke my new '09 yesterday!".

Are you going to set the one Versys up very differently from the other, like cls did? Like one commuter and one off-roader, or a canyon carver?

FWIW, a counterbalance to the Energy Conserving oil thingy: I did get a slipping clutch, twice , on my Honda ST1100 after using Wal-Mart's Mobil 1 oil with Energy Converving crap in it.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 06:11 PM

Hi Fasteddie...I'm curious about the details of how you were able to buy your bike and import it to Canada. Will US dealers sell new Kawi's to Canadians, I know some brands won't. You appear to have dual residency and possibly dual citizenry so perhaps you're a special case. I guess the main crux of my question is can any of us Canadians go down there and take advantage of some of these great deals on new bikes?
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretbek View Post
Dangit fasteddie! Every time I see your thread in the listing, I think it says "I broke my new '09 yesterday!".
Are you going to set the one Versys up very differently from the other, like cls did? Like one commuter and one off-roader, or a canyon carver?
Nope. Both the same - canyon carver, dirt roader - JUST the way Kawi made them (and a little help from Speedy at MotoWerk, Zeta, and H-B ). I've been enjoying my '08 so much here in AZ that I'll NOW be able to continue the fun back up North!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soreass View Post
Hi Fasteddie...I'm curious about the details of how you were able to buy your bike and import it to Canada. Will US dealers sell new Kawi's to Canadians, I know some brands won't. You appear to have dual residency and possibly dual citizenry so perhaps you're a special case. I guess the main crux of my question is can any of us Canadians go down there and take advantage of some of these great deals on new bikes?
Nope, I'm Canadian thru and thru. I know several guys who've bought bikes and exported them from the US and imported them into Canada - you jump thru a few hoops, pay some tax. I'll use a broker to set up the paperwork going back (around $250), and a friend who brings cars back all the time will transport it for me.
I set up an '09 KLR650 (new) for a friend from BC who'll come down in Feb, ride it, then return to BC with it in March.
IF you'd like one of these '09 Versys, PM me and I'll help you out some.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cls View Post
Congrats. and understood. I have 3 V's. I haven't found another bike that fits my "needs" categories as well, yet still is fun and economical. The ST has 16T gearing; the solo workhorse/AT bike has 44T gearing; and the "sport" has stock gearing. All have TBR slip-ons and Grip Puppies. One of the best things on this bike is that it's acceptable w/minimal mods. Anything I'd gain from a change (In mods. or to another bike.) usually requires a compromise I'm not willing to settle for. The only other thing I see doing is suspension mods down the road, and I can't really decide if I want to mess w/that, or not. I'll decide after I've thoroughly tinkered w/the stock stuff.

Enjoy.
3 Vs.....REALLY?
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 07:45 AM
cls

I've been fortunate enough/dumb enough to have had A LOT of bikes. I've had my fun and done many, many fun/stupid things, on many, many very nice, high-end, high performance bikes. I can't find a better balanced bike than the V for my current, practical needs. One for sport(y); one as a workhorse/A-T bike; and one for St/2-up; works like a charm.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cls View Post
I've been fortunate enough/dumb enough to have had A LOT of bikes. I've had my fun and done many, many fun/stupid things, on many, many very nice, high-end, high performance bikes. I can't find a better balanced bike than the V for my current, practical needs. One for sport(y); one as a workhorse/A-T bike; and one for St/2-up; works like a charm.
Do you have pics of all three to see the differences in set up? I like the way you think. I've ben looking as well for a second bike. Tempted to buy one of my old bikes back GT1000 or K75. VERY difficult to buy something the Versys isn't or can't be. It really is a do it all good enough kind bike.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-09-2010, 09:02 AM

Congrats on the new V fasteddiecopeman. The bikes just look cool next to each other !!! I like the green rim tape on the black rims. Had blue tape on my former Ninja's black rims. Wished my red '08 had black rims. I've blacked out some other stuff on the V. Know some others have painted the '08 rims black. May do the same if I get gutsy. Enjoy the new ride.

Dark Arrow Slip-On Exhaust, Spencer's Seat, Alaskan Sheepskin Buttpad, Givi Windshield, Givi E460 Topcase, SW Motech Crashbars, SW Motech Alu-Rack, Cortech Sport Soft Saddlebags/Tailbag, 16T Front Sprocket, Kawasaki Z-1000 Mirrors, Speedy's Handlebar Riser, Speedy's FlatFoot, MFW Highway Pegs, Gerbings Heated Gloves
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode