Has anybody mated a Gen 3 650 and a real, live temp gauge? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By kballowe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

Has anybody mated a Gen 3 650 and a real, live temp gauge?

It bothers me not to know what's going on in the engine room, temp wise, and I'm wondering if anybody else was bothered by the lack of temp info to do anything about it?

TIA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

Thermo-Bob / bypass temp

I installed a thermo-bob on my 2015, since this gauge was given to me, I made it work. Even though it is in the bypass line, you always have a bit of restriction in the rad, so even with a thermostat wide open, I get a small flow in the bypass line, so reading first shows my warm up temp and then operating temp. FYI, at 30 MPH you get very little cooling effect on the rad, in very hot temperatures ,that is in the 85'F and above, expect the fan to cycle on.Having computer problems, pictures to follow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bypass T &b Voltage monitor.jpg (26.8 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170210_173929552.jpg (26.7 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170210_174046487.jpg (30.4 KB, 58 views)

Last edited by onewizard; 07-13-2017 at 09:49 AM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 09:33 AM

No. For me - ignorance is bliss. As long as the temperature light doesn't come on, then I figure it's OK.
korey likes this.

No matter where you go - there you are.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

Water Temp / Oil Temp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kballowe View Post
No. For me - ignorance is bliss. As long as the temperature light doesn't come on, then I figure it's OK.

There has been much discussion under the Thermo Bob thread, related to engine and oil temperature, as to the above post I somewhat agree with , if the engine light doesn't come on , no problem, however there have been several posters that had a malfunctioning fan. There have been some people that designed a digital temperature gauge for this however they either gave up or left the forum.

Since I have a Thermo Bob and it is a one of a kind on a 2015 experimental and the supplier felt this wasn't a good idea to put out for the average Joe, and I had all the plumbing parts and gauge to do it at no cost to me, I went ahead and installed it.
It was made for snow bikes, T Bob #4, mounted on the discharge side of the cooling system, just slightly lower than the overflow tank and above the height of the rad cap---you could get a air lock if you didn't bleed it right and overheat your motor, since the high temperature sensor is dependent on water being in the engine, this would be a real possibility , Thermo -Bob would be liable, since I have dealt with closed water cooling systems in inverters for over 30 years, I didn't see this as a problem.Of prime importance to me was the warm up time and possibility of condensation remaining in the oil, as I now ride down to 1'C, the engine is happy running at between 185'F and 190'F. As vhas been posted under the T Bob thread the oil takes much longer to come up to temp.

Hope that answers your question. Also you can search temperature gauge, lots of posts on this forum!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode