Hints for '09 Versys touring setup? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hints for '09 Versys touring setup?

'09 Versys in plasma blue, 27000 miles, scratched up on one side, fork & swingarm sliders torn up (came that way cheap). Wife got F700 BMW, this is a good match, so we'll keep it for a while. Might be she is working 10 hours away for a long time, until I transition out of here, so a third bike for her up in Illinois makes sense anyway.

Current setup:

MRA windscreen
foam on grips
bar end mirrors
hand bark busters
rack and trunk
Nelson Rigg throwovers that work well, also have some expandables
Terry Adcox saddle
brake light flasher super bright thing
part way through fixing the rashed plastic
pigtail for battery minder

Current issues:

Could use a little more foot room
screen has burbles into my face shield and is noisy at 80
original peg rubber is trashed
snatchy throttle
no engine guard or slider
what color to paint it

Considering:

Throttle tamer cam thing - can't recall the name, but it puts in different cam for throttle pull
Clip on wing for top of MRA windshield
finding pegs that take up vibration and drop about 1/2" or so from stock
Figuring out touring tank bag that doesn't block gas cap
either engine guard or big sliders, plus new fork & swingarm sliders
replace plugs & AF (valves checked 8000 miles ago)
do the throttle body vacuum line and balancing thing

Use anticipated:

utility bike for around here (East TN)
weekend trips
possible travel to Chicago (10 hours each way)

Suggestions? Am I missing anything? Best value engine guard these days? Any sliders cheap and better? Current top vibration and drop a bit peg choice?

Thanks much!

Dr. Toaster: Guzzi 1400 California, VStrom 1000
Mrs. Toaster: 2009 Versys 650
Located 50 miles W of Deals Gap aka Dragon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 09:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I can't offer suggestions on all of your issues, but I can tell you that the Moto Werk foot peg lowering blocks are a good choice to give you more foot room. I added a set of Kawasaki Concours foot pegs and they've lasted nicely. They're wider and provide a comfortable perch for my boots. I don't have sliders or engine guards yet because I try to convince myself I don't fall down - too often. And I don't ride off road so I don't usually overly concern myself with crashing into wildlife and other natural stuff.

Now watch what happens. Having momentarily spoken like a smart a$$ and saying that I don't crash mentioned I'll end up hitting a moose tomorrow on my way to work! Never tempt or irritate the Gods, right?

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, not tempting the gods. I have nice boots that tend to ride on the metal outside prong of the stock pegs, giving me vibration.

Nice bike, though. I'm impressed. Wife rode it mostly before, and I can see why she found it a bit sensitive and challenging.

I'll look into the lowering kit, usually they cost too much. I do fine except for a damaged hip that starts to lock up after a while.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 11:02 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I had the MotoWerk Foot Peg Lowering Block with the Concours 14 pegs they worked great for me....

IMG_0768 by weljo2001, on Flickr

Had a bad hip and knees so i went with the MotoWerk Highway Peg Mounts with Rivcco Highway Pegs to get some relief...

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

If you can find an Algard Engine Guard grab it.....

IMG_0089 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 12:10 AM
Super Moderator

The engine Guard-Algard is the best ever made.. unfortunately the member stopped manufacturing and is nowhere to be found.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 06:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. Those lowering things are less expensive than I anticipated and look good. I'll put that on the list, along with some pegs. I had Kury pegs at one point on a bike that were nice, but wouldn't hold in the cone mounts.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

How about this T Rex setup? Any downside? T-Rex 06-14 Kawasaki VERSYS Spools Front Axle Slider Engine Guard Crash Cage Bar | eBay

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 09:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster404 View Post

I had the front axle sliders on my 09...

IMG_0932 by weljo2001, on Flickr

I have the frame sliders on my Versys 1000...

Versys 1000 Moto Werk's Goodies by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 10:47 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster404 View Post
'09 Versys in plasma blue, 27000 miles, scratched up on one side, fork & swingarm sliders torn up (came that way cheap). Wife got F700 BMW, this is a good match, so we'll keep it for a while. Might be she is working 10 hours away for a long time, until I transition out of here, so a third bike for her up in Illinois makes sense anyway.

Current setup:

MRA windscreen
foam on grips
bar end mirrors
hand bark busters
rack and trunk
Nelson Rigg throwovers that work well, also have some expandables
Terry Adcox saddle
brake light flasher super bright thing
part way through fixing the rashed plastic
pigtail for battery minder

Current issues:

Could use a little more foot room
screen has burbles into my face shield and is noisy at 80
original peg rubber is trashed
snatchy throttle
no engine guard or slider
what color to paint it

Considering:

Throttle tamer cam thing - can't recall the name, but it puts in different cam for throttle pull
Clip on wing for top of MRA windshield
finding pegs that take up vibration and drop about 1/2" or so from stock
Figuring out touring tank bag that doesn't block gas cap
either engine guard or big sliders, plus new fork & swingarm sliders
replace plugs & AF (valves checked 8000 miles ago)
do the throttle body vacuum line and balancing thing

Use anticipated:

utility bike for around here (East TN)
weekend trips
possible travel to Chicago (10 hours each way)

Suggestions? Am I missing anything? Best value engine guard these days? Any sliders cheap and better? Current top vibration and drop a bit peg choice?

Thanks much!
brain dump.....
  • fork oil change - 10W synthetic fork oil
  • Givi 3D603 (small) or XS320(large) tank ring tank bag, pops off gas cap in 2 seconds by pushing latch on bottom; both have good fit on Versys
  • throttle body sync should quell vibration as this is not a vibey bike, also avoid ~4.5-5.5K rpm range on first generation models
  • never heard of anyone on the forum doing a throttle cam mod, let us know how it works out
  • LED aux lighting if riding at night in rural areas, see threads on this site
  • download service manual from this site in TECH section
  • heated grips for spring and fall riding?
  • SW-Motech makes the best quality engine bars for the bike and they are very protective, see video of Versys crash with them, weight is down low so you will not notice ~10lbs they add
  • on/off throttle jarring can be the result of too much chain slack (set for 2.5-3cm) or slack in throttle cables (lube cables which allows them to work with more tension)
  • don't forget to adjust suspension, default suspension setup is for 150lb rider with gear, see service manual and threads on this site for more info
  • avoid economy tires, good ones make a noticeable difference IMO and sometimes last longer, currently running Metzler Roadtec 01's which are excellent IMO but there are other popular choices on this site too

Last edited by twowheels; 07-13-2017 at 10:54 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 07:58 AM Thread Starter

Thanks - that's a nice list. I have to watch putting too much time and money into our spare "junker" - not that it's a bad bike, it was just cheap!

"fork oil change - 10W synthetic fork oil" Just looks like a pain. I may be able to mostly drain without excess work, will investigate.

"Givi 3D603 (small) or XS320(large) tank ring tank bag, pops off gas cap in 2 seconds by pushing latch on bottom; both have good fit on Versys" Yeah. If I can find a great deal. None of the other bikes could use this. I think I'm best off with a strap on model. otherwise I'll get stuck with more gear that I don't use when this bike goes!

"throttle body sync should quell vibration as this is not a vibey bike, also avoid ~4.5-5.5K rpm range on first generation models" It's just got a bit of a buzz sometimes - not terribly annoying, but there. I haven't been through the fuel & ignition systems at this point. Was wife's main ride, and she's not sensitive.

"never heard of anyone on the forum doing a throttle cam mod, let us know how it works out" Here's a thread on it: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...tle-tamer.html

"LED aux lighting if riding at night in rural areas, see threads on this site" == Not much night riding at this point. I think I have a bunch of LED stuff around somewhere in a box.

"download service manual from this site in TECH section" Got it!

"heated grips for spring and fall riding?" Won't hesitate if the need arises. Suspect winter trips will be a mix of short and the very long on the big bike.

"SW-Motech makes the best quality engine bars for the bike and they are very protective, see video of Versys crash with them, weight is down low so you will not notice ~10lbs they add" Look good, but over $200! I'll keep my eyes open. Can't put a lot into this machine.

"on/off throttle jarring can be the result of too much chain slack (set for 2.5-3cm) or slack in throttle cables (lube cables which allows them to work with more tension)" I'll go through the cables again. Got the chain set fine - it's in great shape, bike came with relatively new sprockets & chain. It's just the FI type rapid on/off snatchy stuff. Typical. But I'll go through everything when I pull the fairing pieces off next. Probably when I change the plugs.

"don't forget to adjust suspension, default suspension setup is for 150lb rider with gear, see service manual and threads on this site for more info" - Fork is set fine for wife, which is same weight. Rear I'm still messing with. The owners manual indicates position 5 is the standard for a light rider, but the image and the chart provided differ. The image shows 7 as the least preload, and the chart shows 7 as the most preload. I set the sag for wife, will have to see how it works with me. I'll also pop a zip tie onto the fork slider, see how that's doing. I usually ride with a zip tie on one leg anyway.

"avoid economy tires, good ones make a noticeable difference IMO and sometimes last longer, currently running Metzler Roadtec 01's which are excellent IMO but there are other popular choices on this site too" Right now, Pilot Road 4 F and Bridgestone T023 on rear, which seem very good. I'm pleased with Bridgestone generally. But a pair of Exedra Max on my 1400 Guzzi, real transformation.

I'll keep plugging away. The bike was maintained by a local shop and I got the records. On the other hand, the shop has very mixed reputation on service, so I'm checking everything as I go along. Bike was used for commuting primarily. No signs of flogging or abuse, other than one nice slide in a winter parking lot.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Fork oil change - ever since I raced off-road where we used ATF in our forks, I've used it in my modern bikes, including all three V 650s. Works for me...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode