Doin' the Snoopy Happy Dance! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By Fly-Sig
  • 1 Post By silviefox

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Doin' the Snoopy Happy Dance!

Finally, the '15 V650 is running so sweet and smooth, better than it ever did even on the test ride at the dealer 2 yrs ago. Earlier this summer it suddenly started running really poorly. Obviously a mixture problem, replaced the O2 sensor to no avail, used an O2 replacement plug to some improvement.

Discovered a split vacuum line to the Intake Air Pressure Sensor. For some odd reason the sensor doesn't sit on the intake, but at the end of 12" of vacuum line. That line had a hidden split which must have been there from the original assembly, but got bad enough this summer to make the bike unrideable.

I thought all of you must never have ridden an in-line 4 cylinder bike because you've all been praising how smooth the gen 3 motor is, especially compared to the previous generation Versys.

Truly I have been considering replacing the V with either a Tiger 800 or something with an inline 4 cylinder engine in order to get away from the vibrations.

The bike had a roughness between 2800-3200 rpm since new. When warmed up it would stumble in that range. And a bit of a vibration at about 5000 rpm on the highway, tickling the prostate uncomfortably (but the ladies might have enjoyed that feature). Now all that vibration is gone.

I'm doing the Happy Dance today!

Last edited by Fly-Sig; 07-12-2017 at 04:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
now you can see why we all love these bikes maybe youll even be able to do some of this....
Fly-Sig likes this.

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
silviefox - MAYBE you need to get new glasses...

THAT looks like a VW to ME...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
silviefox - MAYBE you need to get new glasses...

THAT looks like a VW to ME...!

ya but it has about as much power as our bikes

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2017, 08:49 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
On a related note, it is important to do regular throttle body/carburetor synchronizations on for the same reason. If the explosion in one cylinder is constantly larger than the explosion in the adjacent cylinder vibration will result. There is a air bypass screw in each throttle body to set vacuum levels appropriately. A vacuum level check would have probably identified the above issue with a split hose. As a minimum I always do one when I remove the tank to clean the air filter which works out to be once or twice a season.

The most common cause for this to change is valve wear or changes caused by a valve adjustment. You should always do a throttle body synchronization immediately after a valve adjustment.

I purchased a throttle body sync tool for about $100 and only use it a about once a year but it has paid for itself. Another option if you are a DIYer is to build one from clear tubing. Lots of instructions on YouTube on how to do this.

Last edited by twowheels; 07-14-2017 at 09:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode