Gravel Guard - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Gravel Guard

I have the opportunity to obtain some gravel guards very, very similar to the Algard. The hole pattern would be different and they would be made with .125 aluminum. professionally welded and powder coated black. They would attach to the scoot the same way as the Algard. The rear / sides to the same bolt holes as the lower side skirts. If someone would like to provide a set of the other rear brackets for a week or so I could probably provide them as well.

Having them made 10 at a time they will probably run $160.00 shipped to the lower 48 and $165.00 shipped to our friends to the north. (U.S.P.S.) I know that I would have to fill out a customs form but I am not aware of any other costs there. If there is it would have to be paid by the buyer.

The costs may be a little less but until the first run is completed I really am not sure about it.

This all being said I guess I need to know if there are at least 10 people interested. No commitment required. I just do not want to have them made and be stuck with 9 of them...LOL

Let me know so I can decide whether to finish following up on this.

Thanks,
Bob

NOTE: this would not be a skid plate!!

Ride em if ya got em!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 10:28 PM

Hmmm...got any pics of the old plate? How would this compare to the recent one from twisted throttle?

2009 GREEN Kawasaki Versys

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 05:50 AM

I would be interested but would like to see an example. The Algard I found quite ugly. I couldn't stop thinking of Hannibal Lechter when I saw it.

post #4 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 06:10 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Some pictures will do good for your project, friend.

keep us posted.

post #5 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_milstead View Post
Hmmm...got any pics of the old plate? How would this compare to the recent one from twisted throttle?
I won't make a comparison between them. I am not an engineer. I do have access to the resources to have these made though.

Here is a LINK to gti20vturbo post with pics of his white one. The ones I would have made would have V shaped openings to achieve the ventilation.

Ride em if ya got em!

Last edited by tinner; 12-04-2010 at 08:33 AM.
post #6 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 08:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt. Versuvius View Post
I would be interested but would like to see an example. The Algard I found quite ugly. I couldn't stop thinking of Hannibal Lechter when I saw it.
You would not like these then because the only real difference would be the powder coating instead of paint. And the openings would be V shaped.

: )

Ride em if ya got em!
post #7 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Some pictures will do good for your project, friend.

keep us posted.

I realize this. I am just trying to get a feeler for this. If I do not find five or ten people that would be interested I will not spend the money to have them laser or water cut. I will just plasma burn one myself and deburr it the best I can. I would then just rattle can paint or under coat it.

Ride em if ya got em!
post #8 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 08:39 PM

I like the looks of it but after what happened to DBD34's bike with the Algard guard mounted Im nervis about it. I love the one that SW-MOTECH is offering but its way to high in price. Id like to get something and really all I need is a gravel guard. When are you going to know if its going to happen? Let me think about it I may be on board and if you get 8 or 9 people signed up PM me and we can go from there.
post #9 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 01:43 AM

Made out of stainless with lateral coverage and frame-mounted, I'd buy one.

Might as well make them. Give the farklers something to brag about.
post #10 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasgraham View Post
I like the looks of it but after what happened to DBD34's bike with the Algard guard mounted Im nervis about it. I love the one that SW-MOTECH is offering but its way to high in price. Id like to get something and really all I need is a gravel guard. When are you going to know if its going to happen? Let me think about it I may be on board and if you get 8 or 9 people signed up PM me and we can go from there.
Sounds good. I will post here if I decide to go ahead with it. I should know in a week or two.

Ride em if ya got em!
post #11 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wladziu View Post
Made out of stainless with lateral coverage and frame-mounted, I'd buy one.

Might as well make them. Give the farklers something to brag about.
I thought we were not supposed to use that F word here...lol

Maybe down the road for the stainless. We will see how this goes first.

Ride em if ya got em!
post #12 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasgraham View Post
I was as well, but based on DBD34's description, I suspect some kind of damage would have resulted from the hit...it just turned out that the Algard transferred the energy to a mount point location that wasn't up to it. I believe he also indicated that the damage may not have occured (at least, not as drastically) if the original exhaust mounting point had been used.

I purchased the Algard anyways, and it works fine for the intended purpose. It is not a bash/skid plate, and it is not intended to protect against direct hits from large rocks embedded in the road, but it does protect the headers from loose debris thrown up from the front wheel. I also have it mounted at the rear from the exhaust pipe instead of the oil pan.

Am I happy with it? Yes. Would I have chosen it if the other options (SW-Motech, etc) were available? Maybe. I looked very hard at the Happy-Trails version, but it sounded like the guard blocked off the oil drain plug, and that was a deal-killer for me.

I don't know if any of the options available can really be called a skid/bash plate in the true sense of the term. The biggest hurdle for any of these is finding a suitable mounting method. SW-Motech has come up with an interesting method, and the price they charge reflects that.

With respect to this guard, if tinner makes a quality product and can get enough interested parties to make it worthwhile to make a limited run of them, I say go for it.

Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #13 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinner View Post

Maybe down the road for the stainless. We will see how this goes first.

I understand.

Good on you, for immediately not trying to market it as a bash plate, at least.
Motech's marketing bores me:
"Congratulations for buying a Kawasaki Versys! Greatest multi-purpose motorcycle EVARRR! Capable of almost everything! You're the bestest motorcyclist ever, and we're the greatest part developer ever! The perfect team! With our help, you'll conquer ze world!
Just for you, we've developed special parts!
But... you ..can't... really... use it.... GIVE US YOUR MONEY NOW!"

Even in aluminum, if you develop better mounting points - I'd be reasonably happy. I've been bottoming out once or twice a week just on curbs and a certain wicked speed bump. Need something that'll deflect a glancing blow, at least. Take the impact away from the engine/oil pan/exhaust, even if it's sacrificial.

There's some fine alloys out there. I'm just concerned with cracks just outside the weld bead, and lateral impacts to butt-welds.

Not very worried about gravel pitting, personally. It's cheaper and easier just to buy headers from someone that's swapped for an Arrow system, at this point. It's that oil pan...

Granted, this is easier/cheaper:

But, I'd rather have this:

Wishful thinking, until I find time to have it made myself. Screw SWMotech.
Of course... if you build it first....

Last edited by Wladziu; 12-05-2010 at 03:03 PM.
post #14 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 03:46 PM

Or, he11.. a hoop.
Something like the stunt guys use, with swaged plate bolted to the bottom. Recessed/countersunk heads.
Bent to hug the bike as much as possible. But, gives fall protection just like the SW/H-B engine guards. With triangulation and maybe a guard or stand-off for the tank fairing.

post #15 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

@ Wladziu

You have not given this any thought at all have you.....lol j/k

@all

I already have a ball park price on everything. I am waiting for one more price from a company with a water jet. The Laser guy was really high. I also have found a pic of the original rear clamp so I will look into that as well.

Give me a week or two to put something more concrete together.

Ride em if ya got em!
post #16 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 10:05 PM

If I ever get a copy of Solidworks... watch out!

Good luck
But, I'm guessing you'll sell out of them in the first two days, if that long.
post #17 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinner View Post
@ Wladziu

You have not given this any thought at all have you.....lol j/k

@all

I already have a ball park price on everything. I am waiting for one more price from a company with a water jet. The Laser guy was really high. I also have found a pic of the original rear clamp so I will look into that as well.

Give me a week or two to put something more concrete together.
If it's the rear clamp for the Algard, I also have a few photos of it mounted (well, how I mounted it, anyways):

Dave C

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #18 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks,

Your pics give another thought as well.

Ride em if ya got em!
post #19 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
Gary (DBD34) ran over some large debris on a paved road when one of the mounting lugs broke.
He was two up also. And loaded heavy. I like the Algard. It's a good GRAVEL guard. Not a skid plate.

It doesn't turn a KLE into a KLR
post #20 of 81 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
Gary (DBD34) ran over some large debris on a paved road when one of the mounting lugs broke. unlucky in that instance, but also fortunate the bike didn't go down, or the front wheel get destroyed. his report must have steered a bunch of people away from using these lugs for the gravel guard. not me.

as pointed out many times, these are gravel guards, not skid plates. paved roads, or all the gravel you want. don't ride over bowling balls, stumps, tire casings, and the like...ya know, the types of things you wouldn't hit anyway without your gravel guard mounted.
Fully loaded PLUS two up to boot.

If I do these it is with the understanding that this is NOT a skid plate, bash plate or anything of the like. As far as I am concerned it is more of a cosmetic thing other than added protection for the oil filter.

Ride em if ya got em!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode