What is the GOAT 2015+ Windscreen (opinions)? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Question What is the GOAT 2015+ Windscreen (opinions)?

There are many a thread about windscreens here on the forums and from what I have read the general consensus is that either the Givi D4114ST or the Puig Touring Windscreen are best buys. But.. what is truly the best, cost not an issue best? Is it still the previously mentioned or do you now start to consider the Madstad Adjustable or the Givi Airflow?

Personally I have the Givi D4105ST and I am not impressed as its really just a wider and taller piece of plastic (acrylic.. whatever). Maybe my issue is that I'm 6'3".. I don't know.

*GOAT = Greatest of all time

Made with authentic materials.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 12:00 PM

I was using the Puig Touring but recently switched to the National Cycle V-Stream "Sport-Touring" shield. The Puig creates a very large pocket of still air, but causes a minor amount of buffeting between 45-65 MPH. No buffeting at all with the V-Stream at any speed. I've had Nat'l Cycle shield on prior bikes, and they've all been super sturdy, scratch resistant, and heavy. There are reports of the V-Stream causing melting of instruments/gauges, so I'm watching that. I may switch back to the Puig during the winter -- a little buffeting may be a good trade-off for better coverage in sub-freezing temps. Overall, very happy with the V-Stream. Wind management is such an individual thing, though, depending upon height, accessories, helmets, etc.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 02:05 PM

Garage
I'm 6'2' with a 32-33" inseam...I went with the V-Stream Tall.

P1010529 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 07-10-2017 at 02:11 PM.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 02:39 PM

Garage
Switched from the Puig to the Vstream sport touring screen. Far better IMHO, a little buffeting at 70+mph but nothing bad, it does make a nice air stream around the jacket.

The Puig would blur my vision from buffeting...

I'm 5'-7" with a 29" inseam.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 11:06 PM

Garage
1+ for the National Cycle very thick, very hard surface will not scratch like so many screens I have two sport and sport touring both work well large air pocket on the side of the helmet no buffeting- I'm 5' 11" and the sport touring works well air goes 2 inches over the top of my helmet for those 5' 9" or less the dark tinted sport will work well-I might sell the sport If someone would like to see how it works at a reduced price say $80 shipped

Deep in Cajun Country
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 05:34 AM

you must be asking this question because you never heard of a truly adjustable windshield like the "madstad".
there's your goat.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddd View Post
you must be asking this question because you never heard of a truly adjustable windshield like the "madstad".
there's your goat.
That was going to be my next move if the V-Stream didn't work for me.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 08:33 AM

For LT owners, are their any hand guard clearance issues with the Puig touring/Vstream touring/Givi D4114ST windscreens?
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 08:53 AM

Garage
I am very happy with this one. fits well, cuts air. no complaints.
They also make any color.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/705-5...19.m1438.l2649

West coast is best coast!

My motovlog

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 09:02 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by troop View Post
For LT owners, are their any hand guard clearance issues with the Puig touring/Vstream touring/Givi D4114ST windscreens?
Puig, only slightly.

Vstream, no contact.
troop likes this.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
No problem with clearance with Givi, and the LT, and Iím very happy with it. Better all around than stock. Buffeting and noise issues went away completely for me. Iím 6í0, and can just see over the top of the windscreen (if I donít sloutch ) in the lowest adjustment. If you are short you will be looking through the windscreen. Fortunately, itís clearer optically than the stocker too.

Iíve noticed many people have regretted their windscreen choices; not so much with the Givi..
troop likes this.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Puig 5999 - NO clearance issues, tho' I'm planning my cross-Canada trip w/ the OEM 'shield, as the Puig is a 'touch' too high at it's lowest. I'll either sell it or remove an inch or two from the top.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-30-2017, 12:58 PM

Garage
Madstad?

I'll report on my experience with the MadStad

Quote:
Originally Posted by vault View Post
So I had been waiting forever for a Givi D4114ST Windshield. I'd call Twisted Throttle and it was always, Givi is sending a shipment in, so I kept waiting - 58 days. This past Monday, I called in for the 3rd time and asked for an alternative.

They had a Madstad for only about CAD$150 where the Givi was priced at CAD$121.

The Madstad arrived today and on it went to my Gen3. It fit the stock brackets perfectly.

Went for a short ride (in the rain).

Highest position in height, smallest slant (most upright). MUCH quieter than stock. My head wasn't in the turbulence. I'm 5'10". Also, while my helmet and faceshield was collecting a bit of rain, I stayed almost completely dry.

After gassing up, I pulled the top of the shield back to give it the most slant. I didn't get to highway speed, so still some more testing to see if that is better or worse. It felt about the same.

If I ride to work tomorrow, its supposed to be pretty hot 27degC (81degF). I'll see how the low settings work.

I had a Madstad on my previous bike (Tiger 800 Roadie) and it was much harder to adjust since it had 4 separate hand knobs and could articulate in a bunch of different directions. The Versys unit may not have as much overall adjustment as the Tiger unit did, but moving it seems WAY easier.

-----------------
My Bike-ography

15 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
11 Triumph Tiger 800R
03 Suzuki SV1000S
94 Suzuki RF900R
86 Yamaha RZ350R
83 Yamaha RZ350
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 10:01 AM

I've had the madstad for almost 19k miles now on my gen 3 650LT. Absolutely love it. About to add another 3k+ this weekend/next week on a 2 up vacation. Completely gets rid of the buffeting in the high position and give me plenty of airflow if wanted.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-25-2017, 05:27 PM

Garage
I have the Givi AF4105 Airflow Screen, and it does have a clearance issue with the guards, not by a real lot, but enough to bother me.

Just wondering what I can do about it?

Other than going and buying a new screen.

I do like the screen...but screens being screens they just don't ever quiet do the job.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyw View Post
I have the Givi AF4105 Airflow Screen, and it does have a clearance issue with the guards, not by a real lot, but enough to bother me....
Have you "tailored" your handlebar/handguard/levers positions to REALLY suit you?

When I look at other Gen 3 650s I see a LARGE difference from what I ended up w/....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-26-2017, 11:07 PM

Garage
I think you are right.

Also I think maybe if I tilt the handlebars back a small amount and then adjust the levers, guards etc as you say.

Just thinking about it I think it may work for me.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-27-2017, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

FWIW - I tilted my bars back about 5 degrees (towards me), NOT MUCH!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 03:45 PM

Garage
Windscreen will likely be my next upgrade. I'm 6'1" and even with the stock screen all the way up I get a lot of wind noise and buffeting, although I have a noisy helmet too (HJC CL-17, budget friendly and Snell 2010, but noisy noisy noisy).

My dilemma is I have Givi Handguards when I got the bike which by looking at photos they seem to be more in the way than the Kawasaki handguards (LT stock) for aftermarket windscreens. With that I fear the Givi windscreen would be too wide at the bottom (same with Puig), but it looks like the V-Stream is more narrow at the bottom, allowing air flow to stay cool, but high enough to keep the wind away from the helmet more.

Glad I could dig up an old thread for this one and thrust it back into Active Topics once again. :-)

You can't judge a book by its cover, but I know a coloring book when I see one.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 06:33 AM

Garage
Does anyone have a stock 2017 windshield they'd be willing to sell me? I stupidly scratched mine yesterday when trying to clean off the bugs.

Just because I am Deaf does not mean I can not roar.

Long distance two stroke scooter rider moving onto even longer touring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode