Sidecars???? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Sidecars????

Has anybody considered this or have one? I want any feedback I can get!

Cheers!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator

I've wanted one for so long. One of these days....

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 07:52 PM

Garage
Defeats the joy of a motorcycle. Cant lean it through the turns, and have to take it very easy through them as well.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 08:01 PM
Rub

Here's a thread from ADV Rider that may be of interest. One poster shows his Versys with sidecar - he doesn't say too much but I'll bet you could PM him....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=578735

Rub
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 10:34 PM

Check out these guys, I'm sure they would be willing to help you out. http://www.dmcsidecars.com/

2009 GREEN Kawasaki Versys

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 06:17 AM

I can see where it could be an attractive way to carry a passenger, but I think I will stick with two wheels. I guess you could always do a Versys trike too!

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 09:33 AM

Sorry
for me the only reason to even think of a sidecar outfit is if you have serious problmes with traffic
http://www.changjiangunlimited.com/04-0106-2002.jpg
I know its down to personal preference but having a sidecar is like the Spider in my books the worst of both worlds. and as to amking a trike out of a Versys

behave... or you'll go down on report to the RSPCV ... society for prevention of cruelty to Versys
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 09:50 AM

Angst.............Check out this site http://www.sidecar.com/links3.asp .

You can download Hal Kendalls excellent information: The Sidecar Manual and The Sidecar Operator's Manual. You may want to go over these books and get an idea of what is required to build and operate a sidecar before you jump in.

I used these books to learn how to build and how to ride sidecars and they were a great help. This was before the advent of sidecar rider's training here in WA. Yes, here in WA, you need a three wheel endorsement to drive a sidecar; a motorcycle license will not suffice. Your state may be different.

A friend of mine drove a DMC sidecar/BMW R1000GS rig last year and was amazed how well it handled. They are in Enumclaw, WA and may have or know some one in your area that can help you.

Good luck and enjoy.....................Frog

(Chiriqui, Veraguas, Herrera, Los Santos, Cocle, Colon, and Panama provinces of Panama)
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 11:15 AM

Sidecar Racers ....

You have to wonder how fun it would be , to be the monkey on the sidecar , hanging off to control the balance around corners....What a rush !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image007.jpg (29.5 KB, 402 views)
File Type: jpg Motorcycle20and20sidecar20No2036.jpg (42.9 KB, 502 views)
File Type: jpg Stockton 7.jpg (110.6 KB, 2198 views)
File Type: jpg woah.jpg (33.3 KB, 774 views)
File Type: jpg 141_0603_ww_ice_race_07_z_canada_motorcycle.jpg (42.4 KB, 693 views)
File Type: jpg tim-and-mat.jpg (25.7 KB, 1488 views)

2013 White 650 Versys...Purrs like a kitty cat...
2007 Yamaha WR250F...Dirt Ripper...
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWKSHOT99 View Post
Defeats the joy of a motorcycle. Cant lean it through the turns, and have to take it very easy through them as well.
An old friend of mine had a pretty bad crash at Thunder Hill a few years back, and didn't have much use of his right shoulder for a while. He bought a Helix and had his race mechanic rig it for left-hand throttle.

Then he bought a sidehack for it so his girl could ride along.

I have a picture, somewhere, of him riding that thing on Highway 9 in California in a hard left, flying the sidehack in the air with her in it.

So you CAN do those things. It's just a little crazy.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 02:30 PM

Just buy a 2 seat convertible, faster and safer. Get a Miata, Corvette, S2000, or 350/370z. A sidecar loses all the benefits of a cycle and doesn't offer the advantages of a car so why bother?
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 10:44 AM
djg

Here's one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jj_WG1.jpg (38.7 KB, 263 views)
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 11:01 AM

I followed a sidecar rig through a few corners once and without a passenger the guy had to crawl round the right hand bends. Even at very slow speeds I could almost see the sidecar lift up. Turned me off them completely.

I second the motion to at least consider a convertible. For me cars were always just a means of transportation but that changed when I got an S2000. That thing is as much fun as motorcycles. Honestly!
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alba View Post
I followed a sidecar rig through a few corners once and without a passenger the guy had to crawl round the right hand bends. Even at very slow speeds I could almost see the sidecar lift up. Turned me off them completely.

I second the motion to at least consider a convertible. For me cars were always just a means of transportation but that changed when I got an S2000. That thing is as much fun as motorcycles. Honestly!
I would like both!! S2000 is the only Honda I'd let myself drive due to the stupidly-powerful motor and the light weight. Like a Miata meant for adults.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alba View Post
Alba.......That is definitely one problem AND it is the very reason I always suggest that anyone contemplating a sidecar read the Operators Manual from the site I mentioned above. There are some tricks that make it easier, but none of them do all away with the problem. ...............Frog
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 11:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Here's a nice one:

Or you could ride in the sidecar...

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 02:16 PM

Since the Versys is a light bike, a lighter sidecar would work best with it.

A velorex sidecar comes to mind.

Back in the '70's, I used to ice race a sidecar rig. Very fun, but way different than a motorcycle. It's an asymetrical vehicle. The center of thrust is of center. For example, when you roll on the gas, it swerves toward the side car. When you brake, it swerves toward the bike. When you ride straight at a steady speed you have to apply pressure to one handle grip to maintain a straight heading. To turn, you don't countersteer like a bike, you turn the bars like a car.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 03:34 PM

I've only seen a handful of sidecars in real life. In fact, it's ironic I just saw this thread because on my way in to work about 30 minutes ago, I passed a bike with a sidecar on the freeway! I've lived here for 5 years and haven't seen one.

As I passed him, I noticed that the rider was missing half his left leg and the sidecar was actually holding a wheelchair. Can't imagine the mods he has on his bike to make that work, but bravo for not letting anything keep him off a bike!
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 10:01 AM

My gf claims she would ride all the time in a side car, but I will believe that when I see it.

Here is some more info on the Versys-Sidecar setup on ADVrider.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=531759
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode