My old new Versys utility bike - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

My old new Versys utility bike

If I'm going anywhere really I ride my big bike. But I usually have a utility local scoot. Has been an old VStrom 1000. But wife got herself a BMW, so the VStrom is off to be sold and I've got her (well, really has always been my) '09 Versys 650 in plasma blue. One side was rashed up, so it was really cheap. She sort of insisted I keep it as a light and easy to ride machine. So I'm fixing it up (ABS cement layers going in the road rash bit by bit) and getting to know it. Really quite a nice bike. Really fun around here. Will have to go over Cherohala Skyway soon. Truly a fine machine. Believe I need to check the valves and replace plugs and air filter. Check the various fueling adustments. That's all that's left to do, and I do that when the body is ready for paint. Might even get all the blue done in powdercoat (how about Kawasaki Ninja green?) and the silver in black.

Pretty nifty machine - lots lightr than my Guzzi!!

Dr. Toaster: Guzzi 1400 California, VStrom 1000
Mrs. Toaster: 2009 Versys 650
Located 50 miles W of Deals Gap aka Dragon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 03:03 PM

Garage
I too bought a lightly crashed Versys on the cheap. Wish I'd done it sooner! Only "problem" is its now my go to bike and does everything very well. My more focused bikes now sit even more. Happy at 80 on the highway and is a sportbike in the twisties, without a crappy seating position!

The proverbial "quiver killer" imo!

Brad, Suwanee Ga.
'09 V650, several others too!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster404 View Post
Might even get all the blue done in powdercoat (how about Kawasaki Ninja green?) and the silver in black.

Pretty nifty machine - lots lightr than my Guzzi!!
correct me if I'm wrong. all the blue parts, except the gas tank, are plastic. The silver parts you mention are also plastic? I've never heard of powder coating plastic.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Conductive primer, UV cured.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 05:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad906 View Post
I too bought a lightly crashed Versys on the cheap. Wish I'd done it sooner! Only "problem" is its now my go to bike and does everything very well. My more focused bikes now sit even more. Happy at 80 on the highway and is a sportbike in the twisties, without a crappy seating position!

The proverbial "quiver killer" imo!
People would ask me the "if you can only have one bike question" a lot. When I had the '11 Versys I would say if I could only have one out of my current lineup it would be the Versys.

Now that I have experienced many more bikes I think my perfect bike still hasn't been made, but if it were it would be an 800cc adventure bike with drive shaft and electronic cruise control and electronic suspension adjustments. About 500 lbs loaded up and ready to tour.

Right now my favorite bike is my M8 Road King with the windshield removed. Enjoying that riding in the wind experience.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster404 View Post
Conductive primer, UV cured.
That's a new one on me. The plastic will hold up to the heat required to cure the powder? If the plastic bends, will the powder coat crack?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-09-2017, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

It's UV setting, low heat. Good question on the flex. I would inquire prior to getting done.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode