Damaged LT Side Box - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By vaulter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Damaged LT Side Box

So I was cruising through traffic the other day and my side box hit the bumper of a car parked in traffic - just enough force to break the tab off the side box (2017 LT platinum version).

There was no damage to the car bumper, however, the box is now broken.

Wondering if anyone has run into this issue. I have reached out to Kawasaki and Givi - neither one of them seem to be able to do anything.

Been thinking about trying to find a plastic welder to weld the broken piece back on to the box (it was a clean break).

Any ideas or advice would be much appreciated.

http://i.imgur.com/Zl5Ph1a.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/NIiv29B.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Tqj6ZIi.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 02:46 PM

Garage
Thats one of the reasons i took my side cases off the day i brought my V-1000LT home and just use a top case unless I'm going on a trip and the side cases will be needed. Those things are just too pricey for plastic....

P1010685 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 03:15 PM

Ouch!

I don't know anything about welding plastic, but it sounds like a good idea. Also, some adhesives can be stronger than the original material. A good epoxy might do the trick. The Rube Goldberg in me would try drilling it and fitting a bolt, maybe even threading the plastic for the bolt, and then use a good epoxy.

You probably need a more informed response than mine...

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 03:20 PM

Garage
JB Weld will be able to fix that. And don't get the plastic weld, get the original stuff. In my experience, it works WAY better than any epoxy I've found. https://www.jbweld.com/collections/e...weld-twin-tube

I don't care what you ride, just ride.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 07:14 AM

Garage
I can't see your photos, but if there is room, I would drill a couple small holes in the tab and case and put a couple small steel cylinders (solid wire) in there for strength.

This is one area where Harley surpasses the Japanese manufacturers. I have a parts book for my Harley and can order any piece part for the bike. Kawasaki would probably make you buy an entire set of bags.

My Versys Travels:

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 10:38 AM

Use Epoxy for plastic. check the link

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000Y3LHXW...a-320192516791
korey likes this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 10:51 AM

Garage
You might find this video interesting.

Epoxy glue is your friend but I also find this stuff is amazing

https://www.ebay.com.au/i/2921586975...=ps&dispItem=1

West coast is best coast!

My motovlog

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

This is probably the route I will take, JB weld it on and then add the steel cylinders for reinforcement.

And yes... kawa said I'd have to buy entire new set, can't even replace the broken box.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hupp92 View Post
...And yes... kawa said I'd have to buy entire new set, can't even replace the broken box.
Take a look on Ebay or Craigslist for one.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 10:32 PM

Go to an auto body shop and get some of the plastic epoxy they use to repair automobile plastic bumpers etc......works better than JB Weld which is rigid/brittle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode