What saddle bags to get?? Help - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
What saddle bags to get?? Help

Okay, so i've got my new Versys and I want to dress her up. I love to motorcycle camp but dont really have alot of spare time to do it. I go on atleast two big rides a year 3-6 days at a time, and all of my gear is pretty compact except my sleeping bag.

My dilemma is this...Which saddle bag system do I want.
I'm looking at the following:
Teton from HT
Givi
Pelican
Wolfman Summit bags.

They each have their good and bad, and I need some advice to push me in the right direction. Money is not the deciding factor in my choice but getting my money's worth out of the system is.
I know there are alot of variables in this question, but I'm sure someone else has already been down this road and can offer some advice.

Thanks
Chuck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico Jack View Post
I'm sure someone else has already been down this road
you're right. you might want to start by doing a search, there are a thousand old threads on this topic. then, if you have more specific questions, post up.

In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
=>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

bags

I've read this forum from front to back but have not seen a comparison of the different types as far as (this vs. that) What I'm hoping to get is some good advice on what type to get and justification on why that type is better than the other.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 06:56 PM

I go off camping on my V 2-3 times a year for about a week.

My recommendation is to go for soft bags.

They are cheap, think my Dowco were about $49.00, don't weigh much, easy to take on and off. They don't have security, but that's why I have a top box to keep GPS, camera etc in.

Couple of other suggestions, take a small electric pump and tire plug kit-I had 3 punctures in 2008, all in the middle of nowhere!

Machog

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
I'm a big fan of 'soft' saddlebags, with THREE sets. Been to Alaska, camping all the way, three times.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 07:23 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 07:31 AM

This might be a choice!

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 07:40 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
A lot depends on what you want them for, budget and whether looks is important.

Are you doing long trips, Commuting, or something in between? How much stuff do you need to take with you?
How much do you want to spend??
Do you prefer looks over function or vise-versa?

All these factors will determine what bags or panniers are right for you. Its not necessarily an easy decision, I have changed my mind a dozen times and still haven't settled on what set of pannier I want. The hunt is half the fun.

Good Luck...
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 07:57 AM

Two weeks ago I purchased a low-mileage 2009 Green V. I resolved my pannier dilemma last week...by ordering HT Teton 7.5" bags. Here's what influenced my selection:
- very positive endorsements on this forum and other websites
- fairly reasonable price
- top-loading feature
- 7.5" bags installed width are within handlebar span

...and most importanly...the HT Tetons provide lots of flat surface area for travel stickers....and I hope to travel to lots of places I haven't seen.

Last edited by CharlestonADV; 12-06-2010 at 09:22 AM.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Bags

Thanks guys for all the info...
Charleston- I would like something for my travel stickers too and that is what leads me to hard bags.
I ordered a set of the soft saddle bag supports from another member here and I think that I'm going to go with the Wolfman Teton saddle bags. If I keep going in the direction that i'm heading my bike will end up looking like Joe Bars green V with all the Wolfman goodies on it. But thats not really a bad thing is it?

I think I will take Macdog's advice and in the future get a hard top box for storing Helmet, GPS, ETC. when I'm away.

Again, thanks for all the info!

"The feeling isnt fear, its just telling you to move" Rancid

"If you really want to do something, you'll find a way. If not, you'll find an excuse." Dad

09 Versys
Green

Mikes touring shield
Garmin Nuvi 500
Wolfman Tank panniers
HT Teton's
Wolfman Expedition Large Duffel
Seahorse top box SE540

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 10:54 AM

Hard panniers are waterproof, better security, and also double as crash bars to protect the bike. I have the Givi set but don't like the top loading feature because I like to throw a large dry bag across the seat behind me when on camping trips and then I can't easily get into the panniers without removing the bag. I'm thinking about replacing them with Pelicans like I have on my KLR. Just my opinion for what works for me.

Jeff in Illinois
07 Bandit
03 KLR
82 Rokon
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Good info, thanks

So in order to get into the top loader you have to move the strapped bag either off or out of the way.

I will add that to the list of pro's and con's.

"The feeling isnt fear, its just telling you to move" Rancid

"If you really want to do something, you'll find a way. If not, you'll find an excuse." Dad

09 Versys
Green

Mikes touring shield
Garmin Nuvi 500
Wolfman Tank panniers
HT Teton's
Wolfman Expedition Large Duffel
Seahorse top box SE540

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 02:25 PM

I've ridden for years with top-loading panniers and a dry bag over the seat. The dry bag was specifically sized to NOT obstruct the opening of the panniers. I've also found that I'm able to pack more stuff into top-loaders.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 08:23 PM

I love my HT's and they are really bomb proof. Im pretty sure they are running a special right now. I have a bunch of photos on my profile page if you want to see how much crap you can load this bike down with.

Last edited by douglasgraham; 12-05-2010 at 11:00 AM.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 09:40 PM

Calicojack,

I think the responses on this thread are the perfect evidence that there's no "right" or "wrong" answer, just one that's right for you.

Thus fasteddie likes soft saddlebags, spiderman doesn't like top-loaders, and I prefer top-loaders. When I bought my Versys in May I knew I wanted hard saddlebags, but I debated long and hard between the Givi V34 and E21 options. In the end, I went with the E21s and I have since been very glad I did. I owned one other bike with side-opening Givi bags and have ridden many more. But I always worried about them popping open, especially when fully loaded. With the top-loading E21s, I don't worry about that.

I prefer to camp when I'm on the road and I have taken two multi-day trips since I bought my Versys. On the longer one, I carried my sleeping bag, pad and tent on the passenger seat and gear/tools/clothes in the bags. On the shorter trip, I took less and and put the tent in one of the bags.

Either way, if you pack appropriately, you can still use the top-loading bags while carrying camping gear on the passenger seat. But this may not work for everyone, I admit. I'm a minimalist camper.

Which brings us back to my original point. It all depends on what works for YOU.

Photo of my loaded Versys on a multi-day camping trip:

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 06:39 AM

Choices of soft side bags from Aerostich:
http://www.aerostich.com/ortlieb-thi...addlebags.html
http://www.aerostich.com/ortlieb-dry...addlebags.html
http://www.aerostich.com/ortlieb-low...saddlebag.html

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 07:09 AM

What about the sw motch trax?
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-26-2011, 07:39 AM

Barb's SW Trax 45L

Stlee29's HB junior bags. this are the 30L which now has gone to the 40L ones.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...3&postcount=29

Both are hard bags.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode