Simple Dash Cam Mount - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jack of Heats JoH

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

Simple Dash Cam Mount

I use a SJCAM 4000 action cam as a Dash Cam, turns on when the bike starts and off when the bike is powered off, runs a continuous loop. I do this mainly to video the idiots that cut me off, brake check, drift into my lane etc.. Figure some video evidence will be good if I need it.

Initially I had it mounted to my T-Rex engine guard, worked Ok but there were a couple of issues.
1) I stuck out and if the bike ever tipped over it would be the first thing to hit the ground
2) Because it was mounted high and stuck out it was very visible i.e. kind of shouted out "Steal Me"

On the forum some folks suggested the best place to mount an action cam was on the forks. There are some commercially available fork mounts but they look kind of big and bulky plus cost a fair bit.

I decided to build a simple mount out of some scrap 1/2" and 3/4" copper pipe I had laying around. I flattened part of the 1/2" copper pipe in a vice, put a 90 degree bend in it. I then drilled a 1/2" hole in the top half of the 3/4" pipe using a step bit. inserted the 1/2" pipe into the 3/4" pipe hole I just drilled then soldered them together. Drilled a 1/4" hole in the flat spot and used the bolt that holds on brake line clamp to the triple tree, coat of black paint and done.

I am happy with the look of the final install, seems pretty sturdy, now if the rain will ever stop long enough for a decent ride I will test it out and report back on how well it works.

JoH
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1412.jpg (35.1 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1409.jpg (35.7 KB, 110 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

From the picture it appears to be just above the front fender, I considered that for my horn, fortunately my brain kicked in as the horn would have been crushed on the first front brake stop, my 07 and 2015 have the fender bolted to the same mounting as the front axle, the wheel and fender travel upwards between the space I just described.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
From the picture it appears to be just above the front fender, I considered that for my horn, fortunately my brain kicked in as the horn would have been crushed on the first front brake stop, my 07 and 2015 have the fender bolted to the same mounting as the front axle, the wheel and fender travel upwards between the space I just described.

There are several inches above the fender, but I need to check if it will be enough. Thanks for pointing that out.

Will want to do that before taking it out.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 09:19 PM

Garage
IMG_0178 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0177 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0175 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 09:26 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
i use to have mine (same sj4000) mounted behind my windshield with just a peace of flat bar going across the two windshield mounts. here is a vid from it (that mount is now used for my phone/gps holder

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 03:32 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for sharing.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

Weljo2001

Have you ever had a problem with the camera touching the fender? Manual says front wheel travel 5.9" which would bring the fender about 1/4" or less below the brake line clip holder. Your camera looks like the low point is about 2" below the clip holder. Granted 5.9" of travel is bottoming out the front suspension which is not likely on street riding.

I will need to rework my mount as the camera sits too low, with potential for 5.9" of travel the higher I can mount the better. I will try a new design to move the camera up.

JoH
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 11:31 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack of Heats JoH View Post
Weljo2001

Have you ever had a problem with the camera touching the fender? Manual says front wheel travel 5.9" which would bring the fender about 1/4" or less below the brake line clip holder. Your camera looks like the low point is about 2" below the clip holder. Granted 5.9" of travel is bottoming out the front suspension which is not likely on street riding.

I will need to rework my mount as the camera sits too low, with potential for 5.9" of travel the higher I can mount the better. I will try a new design to move the camera up.

JoH

I had the camera like that for a few years and never had an issue with it. I did later take the 1/4" threaded pin off the round flat ram mount and put a drift mount on it so i could just take the camera on and off in a second.....Photo below is from a rear mount...

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

Untitled by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

Weljo2001

Thanks for the info. I will try a making a new mount going forward and up instead of back and down. I will post back if it works out.

JoH
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 02:42 PM

Garage
I put some double sided hook 'n Loop fastener on the inside of my windscreen and attached my A119s to it. Seems to work pretty well, video shows some windshield deflection (bounce) etc., but I'm not looking for studio-quality 4k recording If it starts to rain, I can easily grab it and put it in the tank bag to keep it dry.

'09 Versys
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

In the end I got the ram roll bar mount similar to weljo2001. https://www.walmart.com/ip/RAM-Mount...&wl13=&veh=sem

The standard action cam mounts donít hold up to the vibration.( I has 2 fail). I tried mounting on engine guard, windshield, handlebars and forks. The forks was by far the best with minimum vibration.

Only had the RAM mount a short time but it is rock solid, I am sure it will be fine for a long time.
weljo2001 likes this.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017, 07:51 PM

I have mine on a helmet sticky mount right on the flat spot of the front fender.
Decent video location.
Actually have a sj4000 in my truck. This time around found a lightdow (same dang thing just re-branded) for $30 on amazon warehouse deals.

Sorry about the noise, some type of spark plug interference noise. Still need to get that sorted. But here is a quick video using that location.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode