Help with suspension & center stands (2015+ 650) - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Help with suspension & center stands (2015+ 650)

My new '15 Versys 650 will arrive in a couple weeks and I want to get some farkles ordered before it arrives. I've Googled endlessly and still have questions...

------
  • I want to lower it, but less than the 1.5" drop given by the Moto Werk kit. Can anyone share a success story regarding lowering with a shorter shock? I'm looking to lower 0.75"-1". I'm fine with losing a little suspension travel it means achieving the perfect height. (Not interested in a low seat)
  • Can anyone confirm the lowest seat height drop that will work with a center stand? (you can't talk me out of using a center stand)
  • Does one of the two center stand brands (SW-Motech vs Hepco & Becker) position the rear wheel higher off the ground when up than the other? Wondering if one is more lowered-friendly.
  • Would love to know the space under the wheel for each center stand brand if a couple folks would be kind enough to measure & share. I'm sure others would find this helpful too.
------

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
A center stand is unlikely to work as designed, if you lower the bike much.

I would suggest riding the bike for a 1000km before you make the decision to lower it if you are unsure and have an inseam < 30 inch. I have an inseam of 32 inch and find stock height perfect. I removed the lowering kit my used bike came with after a year of riding it with and prefer it without. If you are below 30 inch inseam you definitely will want the lowering kit. In between 30-32 inseam, I would imagine it will come down to personal preference. Things like not parking nose first on a slight downward sloping parking spot, where you have to walk the bike backward and uphill to get out, will become second nature after a while - backing uphill is really the only maneuver where extra ground contact with your legs is adventitious.

You could potentially just raise the forks about an inch in the triple tree clamp without lowering the rear. This will drop the front end an inch and reduce trail so steering will be quicker but you will have less on center stability with the altered steering geometry.

I would hold off purchasing a center stand for a while. You will likely find with spools on the swing arm and a pit stand you can do everything you can do with a center stand and more, with better clearance, and at a lower cost and lower weight. My guess is that after a month or two of using a pit stand you will have no desire to purchase a center stand. I've owned a bike with a center stand and 2 Versys without. The only distinct advantage of a center stand is being able to lube the chain on a long trip, away from home where you do not have access to a pit stand, without having to roll the bike backward or forward on the side stand.

Last edited by twowheels; 06-28-2017 at 10:49 AM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Added info...

I'll likely upgrade the suspension anyway, so getting a lower shock will be at no extra cost.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
The only distinct advantage of a center stand is being able to lube the chain on a long trip, away from home where you do not have access to a pit stand, without having to roll the bike backward or forward on the side stand.
I do quite a bit of overnight touring, so I appreciate getting the bike upright and off the rear wheel on the road. I also need to conveniently get it upright to maneuver around it in my tight garage. No room for more bulky tools, and a pit stand would be a tripping hazard when in use.

I've owned many bikes with and w/o center stands and I'll never go w/o again if I can prevent it.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 03:18 PM

Garage
I have the Hepco & Becker stand on my 2016 650. The rear wheel is about 22-23mm of the ground.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrostatic View Post
I have the Hepco & Becker stand on my 2016 650. The rear wheel is about 22-23mm of the ground.
Fantastic. Very helpful. I guess tire diameter would affect that. What rear tire are you using?

Now who can tell me the same about the SW-Motech?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
...The only distinct advantage of a center stand is being able to lube the chain on a long trip, away from home where you do not have access to a pit stand, without having to roll the bike backward or forward on the side stand.
Roll the bike...backward or forward on the side stand...?

I made a stand from a used crutch, added a piece of "velcro" 2-sided tape to hold the front brake ON, and lubing the chain on MY long-rides is EASY!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 04:04 PM

Garage
That is with the stock tire.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Previous Posts / Lowering Link??

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrostatic View Post
I went back to your previous post where both Hepco and Sw Motech had been installed , unfortunately no one mentioned if their bike was also lowered, as I recall reading warnings by at least one manufacturer
recommending against installing on a lowered bike.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...d-gen-3-a.html http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ter-stand.html
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

The H&B one looks like it would be easier to get the bike up on. The curved pieces that it rolls up on look to be longer and more rounded.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 10:21 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
I went back to your previous post where both Hepco and Sw Motech had been installed , unfortunately no one mentioned if their bike was also lowered, as I recall reading warnings by at least one manufacturer
recommending against installing on a lowered bike.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...d-gen-3-a.html http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ter-stand.html
My bike has not been lowered.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 10:27 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock29609 View Post
The H&B one looks like it would be easier to get the bike up on. The curved pieces that it rolls up on look to be longer and more rounded.
I cannot compare the two, but with the H&B I do not find it too bad. I engage it while mounted and usually need to rock it back a couple of times, using the front brake to help. I have not tried doing it while standing by the side of the bike yet - I am a bit nervous of doing that. (We also have a Versys 300-X which is much easier - another advantage of a lighter bike).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode