Let's so I don't care about fuel consumption. While idling for 30 minutes do harm? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By SteveJ
  • 2 Post By Urbanengineer
  • 1 Post By Jack of Heats JoH
  • 1 Post By weljo2001

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Let's so I don't care about fuel consumption. While idling for 30 minutes do harm?

I have a phone charger that can plug into my bike, but I don't feel comfortable having the wire hanging around my handlebars while I'm actually on the road. Let's say I've stopped by a gas station on road trip and I'm taking a break, If I let the bike idle for extended periods of time while the phone charges, is it doing any more damage than wasting gas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 09:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Just shut the bike off. I routinely leave the phone charge for an hour or so along with the Garmin plugged in.

On TDY in Glacier Park, then on to BC.
aboyandhisversys likes this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 10:28 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
youll over heat your motor . it needs air passing over it and thru the rad to cool it off. if your just sitting the heat from the headers is going right to the rad and the heat from the muffler is going right up to the oil pan.. and your wasting gas. if your overly concerned about your phone staying plugged in with the bike off wire up a booster pack inline like a UPS(uninterrupted power supply) to a switch power supply. so when the bikes on its charging the booster pack and your phone and when the bikes off it charges your phone from the booster pack (and most of them can charge a phone a few times over on one charge)

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 10:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Think of your bike battery as having $1.00 in capacity.

Over time the battery wears, and in the mid-life expect $0.95 capacity.

Charging your phone from 0 % to 100 % takes about $0.05 of the capacity.

You need probably $0.20 to start the bike.

Leaving the phone charging on the bike with the bike off is a non-issue. $0.70.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 01:15 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Leave the phone at home or shut it off while riding... Never text or take selfies while riding.

Last edited by invader; 06-23-2017 at 01:17 AM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 03:06 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Read the operation manual..it is stated there that overheating is a problem for versys.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 08:16 AM

I use my phone for everything gps, music etc.. power port and phone ram mount plus retractable charge cable keeps things tidy.
kenr74 likes this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So the basic concensus is that I won't have any issues just leaving the battery on for an hour while the phone charges? I'm leaving on a 2 week camping trip tomorow. don't want to be stuck with a dead battery because I was charging my phone at a gas station!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 07:06 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I'm not sure, but I think the alternator doesn't charge the battery if it runs at idle, so you'd discharge the battery also.

Just use a longer cable and charge your phone while riding, what is the problem?
I have it in my pocket and I have no problem.

Versys 2015 Green
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chid View Post
I'm not sure, but I think the alternator doesn't charge the battery if it runs at idle, so you'd discharge the battery also.

Just use a longer cable and charge your phone while riding, what is the problem?
I guess I just feel uncomfortable with that wire hanging around, I feel like it would get caught somewhere, I'm probably being a bit paranoid though.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
Read the operation manual..it is stated there that overheating is a problem for versys.
+1.

From the 2017 Owner's Manual:

NOTICE. Do not let the engine idle longer than 5 minutes, or engine over-heating and damage may occur.

2017 Versys 650 LT -- Titanium [ Sold: Feb. 2019 ]
Debadged, Moto Werk lowering kit, slimmed down OEM seat, Shad SH33 top case, Scorpion Serket Taper exhaust, Moto Werk 1" risers, Grab On grip covers
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 08:25 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Zip Ties or Velcro is your friend.....
Turk likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 12:29 PM

charging a phone, or a tablet or a phone and table will NOT make your battery go dead.

Many nights when I am camping I will have 1 my phone, 2 my tablet, 3 my bluetooth speaker.
I plug them in when I go to bed, get up in the AM and they are all charged and ready, My bike starts just fine.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chid View Post

I charge (on long rides) things that are in my "tank-bag". Out-of-the-way, and it WORKS!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 05:57 PM

Garage
if you're worried about it, get one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCo...portable+power

you will get 3 or 4 phone charges out of it before it needs charging.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 07:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkbeef View Post
I have a phone charger that can plug into my bike, but I don't feel comfortable having the wire hanging around my handlebars while I'm actually on the road. Let's say I've stopped by a gas station on road trip and I'm taking a break, If I let the bike idle for extended periods of time while the phone charges, is it doing any more damage than wasting gas?

I don't think you have anything to worry about with usb cables on the handlebars.
To give you some direction what I did was loosely wrap the cables around the clamp of my phone holder and added a twist-tie to keep them from flopping around.
I then checked the tension of the cables by turning the handle bars left and right to make sure the usb cables didn't pop out of the socket.

As for idle charging, from what i know , the stator isn't generating enough electricity to charge the battery and run electrics on the bike when the engine is at idle rpm.
i don't know the precise tipping point rpm when the stator starts making surplus electricity and it would vary depending on how many devices/switches are drawing power. My guess is probably around 3000 rpm.
hope that helps!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161215_1020101.jpg (37.1 KB, 14 views)

West coast is best coast!

My motovlog

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode