Metzeler Roadtec 01 shortage - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Metzeler Roadtec 01 shortage

Looks like these new sport tour tires are really popular and have sold better than expected for Metzeler after the positive reviews/comparisons. All Canadian wholesalers are now sold out of the 160/60-17 size (OEM size for Versys 650) and are short on other sizes, I have been told they are back ordered from the factory in Germany that cannot keep up with demand. I notice some US retailers like Revzilla still have stock but I would expect a shortage soon in the US too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 05:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Interesting..I have these on my V1k for about 1500 miles now and absolutely love them. They replaced a set of PR4's which I was also happy with, but these came in at about $60.00 US cheaper. maybe I should get another set now for when I need them....
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 06:56 AM

Hmm,

Looks like several new tires promoting superior milage, grip and wet weather performance, Mich- PR4, Dun- RS 3, Met- RT01 etc.. competition can be good offering more quality choices and competitive pricing.

JoH

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I recently bought a set or the Roadtecs but unfortunately destroyed the rear tire trying to mount myself. Currently trying to get another rear, so far only have the front installed. I do notice however cornering stability has improved considerably over previous front tire. It is easier to hold a line and bike feels more planted/secure in a high speed sweeper type turn. I don't have those moments of lightness I got from the previous tires that made me unsure if I had traction in the front end or not. Not sure if this is entirely the tire, or the fact I've gone from a worn in V profile front tire to a new round profile on the front tire.

I've given up trying to install my own tires. Found a guy who will do it for $17.50 inc taxes. I find it easy to remove a tire from the rim but mounting a new tire is impossible without a machine like the professional installers use IMO. I've tried zip tie method and spoons over the years with less than 50% success with the mounting portion.

Last edited by twowheels; 06-20-2017 at 07:24 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 11:06 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I recently bought a set but unfortunately destroyed the rear trying to mount it. Bent the bead wire so it won't seat, if anyone knows if this is fixable let me know. Currently trying to get another rear. So far only have the front installed so can't really comment on it.

I've given up trying to install my own tires. Found a guy who will do it for $17.50 inc taxes. I find it easy to remove a tire from the rim but mounting a new tire is impossible without a machine like the professional installers use IMO. I've tried zip tie method and spoons over the years with less than 50% success with the mounting portion.

I bought a No Mar in January..yes, they are expensive, ($650.00 from their eBay store) but shops around here want $100.00 to mount 2 tires, and that's with the wheels off the bike already......that's just plain crazy...Ive already done 2 sets of tires on my bike, and one on my kids so its halfway paid for itself already.....Ive also done about 4 or 5 sets for friends, but I don't charge them so I don't count that towards the breakeven point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode