Please-oh-please - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Please-oh-please

There's been a lot of chatter lately revolving around Triumph's unveiling of the 800cc Tiger (like here) I can't deny my attraction to such a bike, but at roughly $4k more than the V with non-adjustable suspension (rear preload only) and that huge ugly muffler sticking out the back, I won't be trading in my Middy any time soon. However.. here's to hoping that the new Tiger cub takes off in the market such that Kawi has some incentive to give us a 800+cc V to drool over.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 08:32 AM

I don't see any "GOTTA HAVE IT" in the near future. Very Very happy with my V.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh View Post
I don't see any "GOTTA HAVE IT" in the near future. Very Very happy with my V.
Yesterday I had a "GOTTA HAVE IT" moment.

Bought a brand new '09 Versys (green) to go with "Big Red", my '08.

"Super Frog" will live in Alberta, and Mr. KLR's gonna have to go....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 10:26 AM

depends what you want, doesn't it

lots of people here have demanded more power, some wanting litre, some litre plus, the Toger is supposedly 24PS higher, and torque is equally flat lining as the Versys.

if the bike has pretensions of going "off road" (however you define that), then the BUELL/Versys style under engine exhaust doesn't cut it, so your options are either an underseat exhaust or out the side. Triumph have used the rocket silo exhaust on the 1050 and it hasn't overly deterred sales of that bike.

given the way emissions regulations are going (not just gas but sound) the exhausts are getting bigger, in part that also helps screw the power output upwards.

y'cant have everything in anyone single bike. I look at the Tiger as approaching similar design aims as the Versys, but in a more Triumph perspective. its using their unique approach to engine design, its squarely (how appropriate) attacking the BMW F800 market segment. its not meant to attack the Versys directly but I think some Versys owners may well be attracted to a bigger more powerful bike. Im tempted but Im too much of a cheapskate to buy new

the Tiger looks like what many Versys owners have been looking for, except the ticket price has jumped perhaps more than most of us expected or hoped, but then it is a bike built in Europe rather than the far east.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 12:03 PM

Every bike has short coming...I'm sure the 800s will have some as well. TranquilBrute seems to have found a few show stoppers on the 800. If performance is something your after,drop $500-$1000 for a good performance upgrade and save a few thousand...just sayin.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 12:14 PM

Here it starts, you have a 650, you want an 800. You get the 800, you want a 1000. Why not just go with the 1050 Tiger? I rode one. It is one sweet bike. Is it worth the extra $$$? Probably.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 12:23 PM

"Here it starts, you have a 650, you want an 800. You get the 800, you want a 1000. Why not just go with the 1050 Tiger? I rode one. It is one sweet bike. Is it worth the extra $$$? Probably." ....BLIPCO

I had a 03 SV650N and convienced myself the 03 SV1000N must be better. So I bought one and I was wrong. Couldn't really tell the difference as a non-agressive rider.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 12:38 PM

I'm fairly certain, since my 650 Versys goes over 115mph easy, that I don't need a bigger engine...

Just saying....

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amir_zwara View Post
I'm fairly certain, since my 650 Versys goes over 115mph easy, that I don't need a bigger engine...

Just saying....
+1

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 02:20 PM

I was really looking at the new Tiger, but common sense prevailed. The Versys 650 is really a well balanced bike with power to weight and I'd probably just get myself in trouble with anything more.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 04:08 PM

The 650 twin is just the right size in my book. More ccs equals more power, more excessive speed, more excessive braking, more risking my neck. Guess that sounds like fun, until something goes terribly wrong!

My Album:
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 08:12 PM

I personally love this bike (and the Buell Uly, BMW GS800 and Yamaha Super Tenere) but I wouldn't own any of them for a very long time-don't need the speed, weight or payments
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 09:32 PM

There's no replacement for displacement...or so I thought! I am literally days away from pulling the trigger on a left over 09 Versys. I've researched this so much I can't see straight anymore. I don't think an extra 150cc is going to be worth the performance return nor the price difference. This is coming from a former Ninja 650R owner with a fair idea of how the Versys is going to perform. If one wants more umph just get the 1050 and be done with it!

I stated the above strictly on a cost versus value basis. The 800 is really cool though and if the Kawasaki came in a slightly larger cc package I would not have spent countless hours beating myself up looking for the perfect bike!(it does not exist btw) I honestly would have gone the 800 route if it gave you the over all perceived bang for the buck like the Kawasaki does.

My friend rides a Triumph Sprint ST 1050 and it oozes sweetness. What a beautiful engine! Triumph builds nice bikes but when it is a 800 vs a 650 I'll just go with a 650 when the wallet is concerned. I do feel Triumph is onto something good though.

Hey grecojas, CH-47 all the way! I'm retired, still work on them as a DA civilian. I noticed your post in another thread. Thank you for your service
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2010, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element View Post
The 650 twin is just the right size in my book. More ccs equals more power, more excessive speed, more excessive braking, more risking my neck. Guess that sounds like fun, until something goes terribly wrong!

+1. Its all fun "fun and games" until someone gets hurt . I'm fortunate to have a range of bikes. I will say that sometimes more is just more - but not better. Every time I think I shouldn't like the Versys because conventional wisdom says its not big or fast enough I go ride it. Then I reminded it is fast enough to be fun, has torque in all the right places, is agile enough to have a blast in the twisities and can do adventure touring if I want it to. Would 800cc improve upon that. Certainly would have more speed and more torque (might be slightly less agile). Nonetheless, I would ask what is the need for more of "more than enough?"

'10 BMW R1200GS Adventure
'11 BMW S1000RR

Last edited by TCAdventure; 11-25-2010 at 06:32 AM.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-25-2010, 08:12 PM

I had a single cylinder 250, that would easily out accelerate normal traffic if I wanted it to when the light turned green.
It could easily exceed any posted speed limit in the whole province I live in.
So really, if we are honest with ourselves, a 250 is more than enough.
Not that it stopped me from buying a Gixxer 1K, but I surely did not need it.
A 650 will outrun a sports car to 60 MPH, and nearly double the max legal speed on our highways, so ya I would say its lots.

Time alone with ones thoughts, is quality time.

They say there is a lack of jobs. Seems here to be more a lack of people willing to work hard, and take pride in the work they do.

Frank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode