The Versys is Dead, Long Live the Versys! - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By 93TigerBill
  • 1 Post By Indelibility
  • 2 Post By weljo2001

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 04:39 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The Versys is Dead, Long Live the Versys!

THE VERSYS IS DEAD – LONG LIVE THE VERSYS!
I seriously ‘bent’ my Black 2010 Versys 650 ABS, my “LD ‘bike, on the way to Renmark on 7th April 2017, luckily in company with mate, who just happens to be a doctor (on the forum as “OX-34”).

About 11:30 am, half-way between Nyngan and Cobar, west of Hermidale, just over a slight rise, hit a ‘Roo at approx. 110 kph.
I won’t bore you with the gory details; suffice to say I experienced the full ‘Trauma Team’ at Dubbo Base Hospital, released after four days, albeit in a wheelchair.
“ATGATT” was bloody good ‘Insurance’, and I didn’t begrudge the Team cutting the Klim pants & Jacket off (and Skinz, Merino top & leggings, and socks!).
Swann Insurance paid up the full original purchase price of the Klim gear. Arai XD-3 helmet trashed also, but did it’s job well. Boots worn right through on one side, and sole partly ripped off on the other foot. Gloves RS as well.
Already visited AdventureMoto, new Klim Jacket, Pants and Helmet acquired. Still looking at boots and gloves.
Insurance Assessor rang me from the dealer, and started with “You know it’s a write-off don’t you”?
The dealer had stopped counting at $8,500 in parts, not counting the $1,200 each for the front forks, and not including labour! Looked like a bent main frame as well…..
So, what to do? With Min. War & Finance’s ‘blessing’ (more like “For Better or For Worse, But Not for Lunch”) I started on a Short List, then Peter/Ox realised he had to do a ‘Bike-Count Rationalisation’, so, I now have a 2015 Orange Versys 650 ABS!
Now, once I can walk properly, and get rid of the second cast on my RH pinky, I may get to ride again!
Turk and aboyandhisversys like this.

FarRider#89; IBA#45911; Versys 650 ABS 2015; Triumph Tiger 900 ('93).
Newcastle Australia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 05:13 AM

Garage
Glad you came out relatively unscathed, and good color choice!
aboyandhisversys likes this.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 07:02 AM

This is such a scary scenario. No, there are no 'roos in East Texas, but there are deer some of which can be a little bit on the large side. My fear is coming out of a creek bottom only to top the blind rise and plow into a deer. I can't help but slow down in those situations, curves be damned.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 07:04 AM

And I'm really glad 93TigerBill is recovering to ride again. That's the important part to me. ATTGATT indeed.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 08:55 AM

Glad you survived bro. Best of luck with your recovery.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 09:07 AM

Hitting an animal is never good. as someone stated we don't have roos, but a lot of my friends have hit deer. I've hit 2 with my car, but lucky enough not to hit any with a bike. I've come close several times.
Any way glad your crash wasn't worse than it was, and that you will be riding again soon. Your new bike looks good. Hope it continues to. best of luck.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 10:34 AM

Garage
Kangaroo, deer, raccoon, stray mutt... at 110 kph, it's not good to hit any such creature! Glad you seem to have weathered the crash OK and hope you're back to 100% very soon. New bike looks great BTW.

Always trust your cape.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDP RIDER View Post
This is such a scary scenario. No, there are no 'roos in East Texas, but there are deer some of which can be a little bit on the large side. My fear is coming out of a creek bottom only to top the blind rise and plow into a deer. I can't help but slow down in those situations, curves be damned.
My wife just destroyed our rental (yes, rental car, obtained when she trashed the family station wagon) when a suicidal deer bolted from the side of the road and tried the 'near miss and I'm in the club!" suicide maneuver. The deer didn't do well. Neither did the car.

Your caution is well noted, and should be well heeded.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Why can't animals stick to where the crossing signs are?

I have been going through major back issues and a wreck could mean no more walking. My wife wants me to sell them all and get my dream car. Problem is I don't have a dream car.
To please her I have been searching and trying everything from Jeep Wranglers to Corvettes, to Miatas, and Porsches, but nothing compares to riding.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 12:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Holy ****.

Glad you made it !

No matter where you go - there you are.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Whats that brown stuff on the Air Hawk... Glad you survived Be Careful out there....
93TigerBill and Turk like this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 02:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Glad you're okay, and good luck on your recovery!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Glad you are fine and back on the new ride...Safe Ride
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 08:17 PM

Man, that's just scary. Glad you are on the mend, and I hope you have a full recovery.

Dave C
2008 Versys (Red)
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 05:09 AM

Sorry to hear about the accident and hope you have a speedy recovery.

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 07:14 PM

I want to know why your bike had ABS in 2010 while us in the US had to wait until 2014 for ABS!

Never winterize, ride year long!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode