wish me luck.. first rain ride - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
wish me luck.. first rain ride

i'm about to head out of work.. this will be my first intentional ride in the rain of any long duration. i'm prepped with all my waterproof gear and my danger antennas are up.

oh the baby steps we take to become 365 motocommuters i almost feel like a kid again!

"What doesn't kill me postpones the inevitable"
"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes"
09 Versys, Kawi Green
ATGATT!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 04:06 PM

Good luck.

And more useful:
Stay smooth, keep your distance, and remember that motorcycle tires retain at least about 70% of their maximum grip in the wet, you ain't ridin' on ice yet.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 04:51 PM

I'd say good luck, but you're probably home already.

So, how did it go?

Any new gear on the list?

Jsquared

Rider of all things 2 wheeled
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 04:58 PM

What part of Atlanta? Two guys that work for me rode to work today...they weren't looking forward to the ride home. Let us know how it went.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
All the best and looking forward to the wet riding trip report
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretbek View Post
Good luck.

And more useful:
Stay smooth, keep your distance, and remember that motorcycle tires retain at least about 70% of their maximum grip in the wet, you ain't ridin' on ice yet.
70% sure is a lot better than the 10-20% I remember from the 70's on bias tires! Man weren't intersections treacherous in those days? No stop, no go...except sideways that is!

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 08:51 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
You have more grip than you think you do. Just steer around wet metal or wood. Wet man hole covers and RR tracks for instance are like ice - don't cross them in a turn leaned over.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 09:29 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I enjoy riding in the rain. One trip from texas to south carolina on my ole GS 1000L 900 hundred of the 1123 mile trip was in a good hard rain.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 11:38 PM

Ride safe. keep the visor clear and throttle smooth.
Stay dry and keep the rubber down.
Keep your distance and use all means (blazing light and stebel horn) to tell everyone you're there.
We ride all year round and it only dry or in the wet. never cold.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 12:49 AM

I like rain rides. Modern tires are pretty amazing until you hydroplane.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
You have more grip than you think you do. Just steer around wet metal or wood. Wet man hole covers and RR tracks for instance are like ice - don't cross them in a turn leaned over.
Watch out for the painted stripes in the road too. They are slick when wet.

I add myself to riders that enjoy rain rides. It is cathartic.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 05:31 AM
djg

Gee, hope we didn't lose him.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 05:43 AM

Definately keep your distance so that you can try avoid having to brake hard.....that´s probably the worst thing you can have to do in the rain.

Apart from that , try get some kind of treatment for your visor and maybe also something like this http://yamyambiker.com/2008/09/08/re...anti-fog-mask/ so that you´re not having to continually crack open the visor. Misting is much worse in slow traffic so be careful you suddenly can´t see whilst in heavy traffic.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 05:52 AM

Well, I for one hate riding in the rain. It doesn't matter what kind of gear you have on. If it rains long or hard enough you still get wet and of course that always manages to gather in your crotch.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

the rain ride went fine

i was dry as a bone except for my feet, which is understandable since my boots aren't waterproof. i knew what i was getting into. as far as new gear goes, that's the only thing i'm lacking.

no close calls. i took it easy and it seemed like most people saw me (even though i act like they don't

next time, however, i'll be wearing my reflective safety vest from work for peace of mind.

"What doesn't kill me postpones the inevitable"
"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes"
09 Versys, Kawi Green
ATGATT!!

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 08:34 AM

It is great owning a bike that you don't have to worry about shinning up right after the ride also! Think of it, a motorcycle that is meant to ride. Glad you are safe.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 12:50 PM

Good to hear the ride went well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indulf View Post
my boots aren't waterproof. i knew what i was getting into. as far as new gear goes, that's the only thing i'm lacking.
Hey, there's a $23 solution for that...

overboots.jpg
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 07:26 PM

Rain, reflective vest, boot covers - good ideas. Glad to hear it went well. Ride safe and fear the cagers.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-25-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indulf View Post
i'm about to head out of work.. this will be my first intentional ride in the rain of any long duration. i'm prepped with all my waterproof gear and my danger antennas are up.

oh the baby steps we take to become 365 motocommuters i almost feel like a kid again!
Good luck!

My first rain ride was even BEFORE I got my first bike. In the stunt school we practiced sharp turns one day, it was my birthday in fact (8th of April). It was snowing first AND then raining. Well, the noob that I was, I managed not to drop or lose control of the machine. I was so goddamn proud of myself... My 23d birthday, first one in the saddle, fair and sqare, when I belive I was born anew.

All I can tell from my experience in rainstorms of various strength: have no fear, just be careful. And don't give in to fatigue.

Carpe Diem
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-25-2010, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharrison56 View Post
If it rains long or hard enough you still get wet and of course that always manages to gather in your crotch.

Sounds more like a Great Lap Dance....

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 11-25-2010 at 11:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode