Wyoming - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 06:09 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Wyoming

Anyone from Wyoming or know the State real well? I need some advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 06:26 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Try this Guys.

http://governor.wy.gov/first-family/dave-bio.html

Just trying to help....

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 09:18 AM

What advice are you looking for? My wife is from Casper WY. She might know the answer to your question.

Life without GOD is like an unsharpened pencil...........
It has NO point

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 09:38 AM

I lived in Cody, WY, as a boy (92-94). Might not be of much help.

I think a member (or two maybe) live in Wyoming...might have to wait a little bit before you get a response from them.

2009 GREEN Kawasaki Versys

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-23-2010, 10:01 AM

Here is one member: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...hlight=wyoming

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 06:14 AM Thread Starter

Guys, I am planning to fly into Jackson from the UK in early June 2011 for a couple of weeks touring. Will pick up a rental bike from Eagle Rider. I know Yellowstone is a must and have heard about Beartooth/Red Lodge, but has anyone got any suggestions as to other places/rides? I need to end up back in Jackson for the return trip home. Wife would like to spend some time shopping/walking around a nice/interesting town as well, not a big city.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 07:45 AM

Since it's next door to Yellowstone you might want to visit The Grand Tetons and see and get some photos of the peaks, Jenny lake and the Snake River ala Ansel Adams.

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 08:07 AM

Depending on how far you want to travel, in addition to Yellowstone, Beartooth, and the Grand Tetons, you may want check out Devils Tower National Monument in northeast WY, and the Black Hills / Mt. Rushmore South Dakota (but it's an 8 hour drive from Yellowstone). Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado is pretty cool too.

As far as big cities go, there are none in Wyoming. ;o) Really... I'm not kidding.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 08:44 AM

That's definite must sees for what trialsguy and El Tig say, though Casper is a halfway decent size place but doesn't have too much special other than the local mountain with a nice winding picturesque road going to the top. A lot of folks drive for days just to say they've been to the top (nice camping up there too). However, it is quite a long haul from Jackson and Yellowstone to Casper. Your wife will enjoy Jackson, it's a quaint tourist town with a number of little shops. Come prepared for possible cold weather, Northern WY in June can be rather cold at night.

Life without GOD is like an unsharpened pencil...........
It has NO point
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
As far as big cities go, there are none in Wyoming. ;o) Really... I'm not kidding.
I visited a buddy in WY awhile back (the state is quite high - mostly around 8,000' if memory serves), and each town has a sign with the altitude and population.
His comment was that you VERY seldom see one of those signs with the population MORE than the altitude...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 11:34 AM

Yeah, there are no big cities!!! Tourist attractions are in most places because that is one way that the cities make their money, so that they can survive off of it through the winter. Lots of miles between towns! Though the scenery is lovely, it can still get quite cold and windy anytime of the year. I'm partial to Cody, WY...though only because I lived there.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 11:43 AM

Hey Phot, just thought of something else...you are going to be traveling during the peak time of other tourists. While it isn't really bad, the roads will of course be filled with people seeing the same sights as you. Not trying to deter you or anything, I just remember (since all the cities are quite small) that an extra few hundred people can block up a city quick! When I mean small, if I remember correctly, Cody had a population of 14,000.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-24-2010, 02:34 PM

The high country in Wyoming will be cold in early June and the passes may be icy as there will likely be a lot of melting snow from the sides of the roads. I remember a trip we took with our kids to Yellowstone in early June coming up from the south (Jackson). The snow on the sides of the road in the highest passes was higher than the top of our camper which is 10 feet tall. The lowest parts of the park were dry as the snow had melted. Also, the Beartooth Highway is magnificent, but it's not likely to be open until July due to the winter snowpack. The Chief Joseph Highway between Cody and Cooke City is a fun road that will be open. Cody is a fun town to spend a few days. IF you want to see some real desert color country, you might head South to southern Utah and visit Moab, Kanab, Bryce Canyon, Zion National Park, Lake Powell, Monument Valley, etc. The weather there will be warm, maybe too warm at times, but you won't see anything like this area in any part of Europe. You can be there in 2 days from Jackson. If you want to correspond more about this send me a private message as I don't check the forum with any regularity, especially now that we have 14" of snow on the ground where I live and the temp is headed for below zero F tonight.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 09:32 PM

Black Hills!

You are right on. Head east and check out the Black Hills, Needles Hwy, Mt Rusmore, Devil's Tower. You just can't go wrong. Look me up and I'll ride with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
Depending on how far you want to travel, in addition to Yellowstone, Beartooth, and the Grand Tetons, you may want check out Devils Tower National Monument in northeast WY, and the Black Hills / Mt. Rushmore South Dakota (but it's an 8 hour drive from Yellowstone). Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado is pretty cool too.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phot View Post
Guys, I am planning to fly into Jackson from the UK in early June 2011 for a couple of weeks touring. Will pick up a rental bike from Eagle Rider. I know Yellowstone is a must and have heard about Beartooth/Red Lodge, but has anyone got any suggestions as to other places/rides? I need to end up back in Jackson for the return trip home. Wife would like to spend some time shopping/walking around a nice/interesting town as well, not a big city.
My 2: Yes check out Yellowstone, but know that the park is crowded with tourists stopping to photograph any and all of the wildlife within sight of the road, so ride carefully. Two thumbs up for Beartooth Hwy., a must ride. I might consider riding over to Idaho, which is as close as some of your other potential destinations to the east of Jackson. I like the ride from Idaho Falls to Salmon, and then to Banks. If your wife likes to hobnob with the Glitteratti, you can swing south from Stanley to Sun Valley/Ketchum. From Banks you could go north then head back East through the Lochsa River valley, and over Lolo Pass to Montana. Maybe check out Bozeman, then back through the park to Jackson.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode