• 2 Post By chadams66
  • 4 Post By twowheels
  • 1 Post By silviefox
  • 1 Post By aboyandhisversys

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Opinion on these cheap ebay exhausts?

I use my 07 Versys as commuter and find its far to quite in traffic for the cages to notice. Was going to get a Delkavic slipon as I had one on my gsx 1400 years ago and no real complaints. Just to make it a bit louder.
The Delkavic pipes are not as cheap as they use to be thanks to the worthless Aussie dollar but I saw this model on ebay for Less than half the price, just not sure of anyone has any experience with them?

Modified Exhaust Muffler Pipe For Kawasaki ER6n ZX9R VERSYS 650cc ZR750 ZEPHYR | eBay

No brand name or anything has me a little cautious...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopz View Post
I use my 07 Versys as commuter and find its far to quite in traffic for the cages to notice. Was going to get a Delkavic slipon as I had one on my gsx 1400 years ago and no real complaints. Just to make it a bit louder.
The Delkavic pipes are not as cheap as they use to be thanks to the worthless Aussie dollar but I saw this model on ebay for Less than half the price, just not sure of anyone has any experience with them?

Modified Exhaust Muffler Pipe For Kawasaki ER6n ZX9R VERSYS 650cc ZR750 ZEPHYR | eBay

No brand name or anything has me a little cautious...

I've found over the years you get what you pay for... {holds up wrist with knockoff Rolex that rusted on my wrist}
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
You'll get more bang for the buck with hi vis gear. Cars can only hear you if the have their windows down or you have passed them with a loud exhaust as the noise does bot ready project in front of the bike. They also do not increase power unless combined with a power commander and a matched fuel map.

Then there is the fact that the Versys was designed with an unbody exhaust so all the aftermarket ones look ugly and raise the center of gravity.

Save your money and get a stylish hi vis jacket from Klim, Dainese or Olympia.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited by twowheels; 06-09-2017 at 11:37 AM.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
You'll get more bang for the buck with hi vis gear. Cars can only hear you if the have their windows down or you have passed them with a loud exhaust as the noise does bot ready project in front of the bike. They also do not increase power unless combined with a power commander and a matched fuel map.

Then there is the fact that the Versys was designed with an unbody exhaust so all the aftermarket ones look ugly and raise the center of gravity.

Save your money and get a stylish hi vis jacket from Klim, Dainese or Olympia.

AND a louder horn such as the WOLO Bad Boy (clone of the Stebel Nautilus) or the DENALI SOUNDBOMB...!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 01:32 PM

Lots of reflective patches and Stickers!!!!!!

Dirt bikers say "when in doubt gas it out"
Street boy racer in me says "when in doubt bling it out!"

ADV Stickers, Patches & Flag, Ride the World, FYYFF Decals, get'em here! | Adventure Rider
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 02:00 PM

It doesn't matter what you wear or how much noise you make. Just look at how often drivers miss a policecar or other emergency vehicle with sirens and flashing lights right behind them. So a different exhaust is something you pick because you like the sound or bling
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 05:36 PM

That exhaust looks decent but not sure about the intake side. Is that a reducer to fit up to the stock header? If that slides inside the stock header it seems like it may affect performance. No idea if that is right but looks strange compared to the Leo Vince I had.

1974 Kawasaki F11
2004 Yamaha WR450 plated
2014 Kawasaki Versys 650
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 06:22 PM

do not insult your bike with cheap chinese parts...I got a yoshi pipe for my bike for the weight reduction and because I like the sound...for protection I wear HiViz gear and got a louder (Piaa dual horns as found in a post somewhere in here) horn set up...I've blown that horn..revved the engine and still had cars continue to take my lane...when they don't see you they certainly don't hear you either...
you've got a great bike man..ride safe...
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 07:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freubel View Post
It doesn't matter what you wear or how much noise you make. Just look at how often drivers miss a policecar or other emergency vehicle with sirens and flashing lights right behind them. So a different exhaust is something you pick because you like the sound or bling
Actually studies have shown you have about a 30% less likelyhood of being hit by a car if you are visually conspicuous. Noise had no effect.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 150px-Hi_vis_1.jpg (8.6 KB, 303 views)
File Type: jpg 150px-Hi_vis_2.jpg (8.5 KB, 304 views)

Last edited by twowheels; 06-10-2017 at 08:09 AM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 10:03 AM

I use a modulating high beam (comagination) , hign viz vest and have my rear signal lights set up as running/modulating brake lights (signal minder). Always try to tap brakes well in advance of any stops to get the attention of the cager behind me looking at their phone instead of where they are going. I am surprise at lot more folks don't use a modulating headlight.

JoH
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack of Heats JoH View Post
I use a modulating high beam (comagination) , hign viz vest and have my rear signal lights set up as running/modulating brake lights (signal minder). Always try to tap brakes well in advance of any stops to get the attention of the cager behind me looking at their phone instead of where they are going. I am surprise at lot more folks don't use a modulating headlight.

JoH
Modulating headlights are illegal in many states. And I personally don't care for them because I feel that a cager may see that as you flashing your lights to give them the go ahead in certain situations. Just my opinion, to each his own.

I don't care what you ride, just ride.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 10:33 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack of Heats JoH View Post
I am surprise at lot more folks don't use a modulating headlight.

JoH
they are not legal here in oregon.. and honestly i dont like them i think they are just annoying and make the bike look like it has electrical issues
weljo2001 likes this.

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 12:44 PM

Modulators work. I have used them for years. Legal? https://kisantech.com/mag/regulations.
Nothing wrong with the stock exhaust; except maybe it sounds like a popcorn machine at idle.

....ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds with the Devil close behind...
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility, it's right. If it disturbs you, it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed."
-Robert M. Pirsig
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 02:08 PM

I have considered a rocket launcher and a 50 Cal Ma Deuce (M2) heavy machine gun fore and aft on the bike as "attention getters", but alas, my wife talks me out of it.

My rules for surviving cagers:

1) They can't see you. They Can NOT see you. Blind spots are dead spots. You could dance naked in the intersection and 1 out of 20 drivers *might* see you.

2) If they do see you, they'll try and kill you. Example: "That motorcycle is so small I can turn left RIGHT in front of him, no problem." You're in the right, but you're dead. right.

3) You have NO (zero) right of way. Size DOES matter. You may be in the right, but you're dead. right.
Let the b*st*rds go in front of you. They're obviously more important than you anyway.
3.1) Most nitwit bike accidents in traffic occur when the biker is traveling more than 10MPH faster than the traffic around them. Videos abound of this stupidity. Don't be a dead Dick.

4) Don't ride anything you can't pick up. The reasoning should be obvious. I have no idea what Harley, Gold Wing, and the new Yamaha road boats do when gravity overcomes the center of gravity and the bike falls over. Maybe that's the reason you never see those riders alone on their bikes.
Freubel likes this.

Last edited by aboyandhisversys; 06-12-2017 at 12:56 PM.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Being seen is a universal problem with motorcycle, in the US as well as abroad. Here we'll over 70% of car v motorcycle accidents happen well within the rider (and driver) field of view, rarely from directly behind (where your exhaust is pointing).

HiViz gear, auxiliary lighting, lane position & presentation, etc. as well as driving defensively/with a high degree of awareness (for instance use the SEE strategy from MSF) can all increase your chances of being seen.

Most cars are now built to eliminate road noise, provide a more rich audio experience from within the vehicle and attenuate external noise so being visible, especially with all of the on car distractions, is certainly more important than ever.

If you are going to change the engine on your bike (in this case air/fuel) I would go for something known to make a positive gain, or at least do no harm. As others have said you get what you pay for, which also includes proper testing and recommendations for your specific bike, model and intended use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode