Set up - what do they do? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Set up - what do they do?

I was wondering what is done when a bike is removed from the crate for sale? The rear wheel on my bike isn't straight according to the marks on the swingarm and the forks arent fully flush with the top clamps (1/4" showing). I also dont have any sag or much suspension travel on the front and I weigh 230. I dont want to mess with the fork unless it was set up wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 01:52 PM

Garage
I would take it to a local independent shop the does sport bikes and have them help you set it up right. Most dealers don't really know or care about proper set ups.

I'm a big and tall guy, 280lbs,6-2. The dealer looked at me like I had a third eye when asked about setting the bike up for me.

Local speedshop set it all up for about $60 and 45 minutes of time. Made the bike ride so much better.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 02:57 PM

Markk9, mind sharing those settings? Sounds like we are about the same size and my nearest "local" speed shop is several hundred miles away.

The dealer "set mine up for me" given my size but turned out they just cranked the rear to max and tried to crank the forks to max but clock-wise and counter-clock-wise are apparently confusing so the front was set to max soft.

I've since just dialed in what I think will work but another data point would be great.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 05:17 PM

I think the Versys is a pretty simple setup. All they do is put the front wheel, Calipers on, the windscreen and Mirrors and fill the battery with acid and install it. They may check the oil and that should be about it.

There has been talk in the past of Front Brake Calipers coming off that were not torqued at the dealer.

I never ride a new bike till I bring it home and go over it first.

Bought a new CBR 600rr and on the way home got a call telling me not to ride it... They left the bolts out of the Rider pegs. Only one bolt holding them on each side.

Todd
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 06:12 PM

Garage
Here is the thread I talked about my set up in:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=12669

My local wrench said the stock spring set up would be good for street riding, but if I start taking a passenger, or doing tack days, I will need to upgrade the springs on both the front and back.

Mark

Retired Eagle driver, Long Live the Eagle

Last edited by Markk9; 11-21-2010 at 06:18 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 07:08 PM

Thanks Mark. I need to go check but I think I guesstimated it pretty close to that.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitownpete View Post
Iforks arent fully flush with the top clamps (1/4" showing)
My manual says they shouldn't be flush:

Install the fork so that the distance between the top end [A] of the outer tube and upper surface [B] of the steering stem head is the 12 mm (0.47 in.) [C].

That's not to say you might not want to adjust them to suit your needs but do so in small increments as the steering changes can be more than expected. Also be careful about bottoming parts if you raise the tubes further in the clamps.

The rear wheel alignment is something you need to get used to doing anyway for chain maintenance.

Don't know what the uncrating involves with J bikes these days but on the SuperDuke it was only battery and handlebars/controls.

As for suspension setup I've never had a dealer do anything other than stock settings. I weigh a bit less than you and ride aggressively. I'll be upgrading the front springs soon. The rear I can live with but if I'm not smooth I can make it wallow. I may re-spring that as well.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 11:58 AM

Make sure the front wheel is installed the right way round. There are arrows on the wheel casting. Several people here have had this happen.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info everyone. I will have time this winter to check everything over.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 08:51 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Rear Wheel Alignment
take a peice of string about 15ft long and tie one end to a concrete block or other weight placed in front of the front tire. With the bike held upright run the string along the left edge of the front and back tire at the same height, just below the muffler. Run the string around the rear tire, taping it to the tread on the rear of the rear tire and back to the weight in front of the front tire. Adjust the rear wheel alignment so the string just touches on both sides of the rear tire and both sides of the front tire. This method is much more accurate than using the marks on the swing arm. Most racers use this method of alignment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode