• 3 Post By IanThomas
  • 1 Post By IanThomas
  • 1 Post By bcalan
  • 1 Post By whiting57

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Traded in the versys..... but

So last year i traded in my versys because i needed a new truck. The dealer wanted to give me $2,500 for a 2013 with under 10k on it. I told them they were crazy, and they had to just pay it off $3200. I knew it was worth more, but i really needed to do the deal. They assured me they were getting screwed in the deal, and that they could never sell that bike for a penny over 2500. I showed them multiple ads on cycle trader etc showing otherwise. Long story short went to the dealer yesterday for an oil change, and bam! My Versys is sitting dead center of the chevy dealers showroom floor. $4,000.00. I went to the same salesman who i traded it into and said "hey whats the story with that bike?" thinking he would recognize me, but he didn't so i played along. He told me all about how they paid 6k for it as a trade in and they just wanted it gone. I said "oh really? If you just want what you paid for it ill give you the $3,200" guy was like "yeah right that bike is a steal at $4k." I looked him right in the eye and said "sorry pal thats the last time you will bull**** me." he looked at me kinda weird he said "serious thats a great bike worth every penny" I said "well I'm never shopping here again clearly your a liar. That was my bike and you sat here and told me you couldn't sell it for $2500."
Listen i know car salesmen are crooked shady people (most of them), but c'mon when you are caught in a lie you admit it right? Only makes it worse when you deny it.
He went on... Oh I remember now.. No this is a different bike we sold yours for cheap...... I looked at him with a crooked eye. "C'mon dude you guys barely cleaned it since i gave it to you. I painted those brakes red, took off the Kawasaki sticker, installed that usb port, put that faded ass tank pad etc etc." He looks at me and says "huh i guess it is. oh well." and then he walked away.

Whole thing just pissed me off. I want to throat punch that dude so hard. i really want that bike back, but oh well some day maybe.
P.S. i am buying a ford next

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanThomas View Post
So last year i traded in my versys because i needed a new truck. The dealer wanted to give me $2,500 for a 2013 with under 10k on it. I told them they were crazy, and they had to just pay it off $3200. I knew it was worth more, but i really needed to do the deal. They assured me they were getting screwed in the deal, and that they could never sell that bike for a penny over 2500. I showed them multiple ads on cycle trader etc showing otherwise. Long story short went to the dealer yesterday for an oil change, and bam! My Versys is sitting dead center of the chevy dealers showroom floor. $4,000.00. I went to the same salesman who i traded it into and said "hey whats the story with that bike?" thinking he would recognize me, but he didn't so i played along. He told me all about how they paid 6k for it as a trade in and they just wanted it gone. I said "oh really? If you just want what you paid for it ill give you the $3,200" guy was like "yeah right that bike is a steal at $4k." I looked him right in the eye and said "sorry pal thats the last time you will bull**** me." he looked at me kinda weird he said "serious thats a great bike worth every penny" I said "well I'm never shopping here again clearly your a liar. That was my bike and you sat here and told me you couldn't sell it for $2500."
Listen i know car salesmen are crooked shady people (most of them), but c'mon when you are caught in a lie you admit it right? Only makes it worse when you deny it.
He went on... Oh I remember now.. No this is a different bike we sold yours for cheap...... I looked at him with a crooked eye. "C'mon dude you guys barely cleaned it since i gave it to you. I painted those brakes red, took off the Kawasaki sticker, installed that usb port, put that faded ass tank pad etc etc." He looks at me and says "huh i guess it is. oh well." and then he walked away.

Whole thing just pissed me off. I want to throat punch that dude so hard. i really want that bike back, but oh well some day maybe.
P.S. i am buying a ford next
Sorry to here this, it really stinks to be in a bind
Being from NH myself please pm me the name of the dealership I want to stay away from

2016 Orange Versys 650 LT , 2015 CSC RX3, 2011 Ural Gear Up
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Macmulkin Chevrolet nashua
King.Versys likes this.

- Ian Thomas
2013 Versys

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 01:40 PM

That's terrible. I do know that if you receive a survey by mail or email to fill it out. Those go to corporate and that guy will be in hot water. No business needs a guy like that, they'll boot him quick, and maybe offer you the bike for $2000 for the trouble. :-)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 02:51 PM

Hell, everyone tries to make a few bucks on a resell, no big deal, however the story behind it just blows.. The guy should have been honest and told you like 34 or so, just so he could say he made something off it.. of course he made off on the truck he sold you too, so now hes double dipping..L
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 04:21 PM

This no cause to buy a ford....there are other reasons for that.

Dealerships are there to make money and the sales people are there to make a salary plus commission. If you dont like the way some sales people play the game.... Ask me again why they are called stealerships.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 04:58 PM

No matter how much they gave you trade in, they still got your bike for free. Don't believe it? Go price a new car. ask what they will give you trade in on your bike. Subtract the trade in price from the price he gave you on the car. That's what the car would cost you. Don't buy it. Next day send someone to the dealer and let them tell the dealer they want to buy that car today cash money, no trade in. I came to buy a car and not play games. If I don't like the price you give me I will refuse the sale and leave. I will not wast my time haggling over price. now Give me your best cash price. I promise you he will get a price equal to or even better than the price you would pay with the trade in.

Any way the guy screwed you you at $2,500. I don't think there is any one on this forum that wouldn't jump at the chance to buy a 2013 versys with less than 10,000 miles for $2,500. Hell Thunderkitty got a bargain on hers, and she paid well above $2,500.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Ian - NICE hearing from you again, even tho' your message was about a PITA! Sorry, Buddy.

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 10:35 AM

Never do any type of motorcycle involved deal at a auto dealer.... never. Have a reputable motorcycle dealer sell it on consignment. Sit on it a bit until you sell it yourself and put the cash towards the principal on your vehicle payments. Walking into an auto/truck dealer with anything to trade beside an auto/truck (cycle, rv, boat) will get you hosed every time. I have never seen an exception to this. Happy Motoring.
whiting57 likes this.

....ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds with the Devil close behind...
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility, it's right. If it disturbs you, it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed."
-Robert M. Pirsig
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 01:21 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
You'll never get much more than 60% of the value of a car or bike when you trade it in at any kind of dealership. The dealer needs to have enough of a spreed between the purchase and sale price to make it worthwhile for them to sell it. They have a dealership to operate and staff to pay. Don't blame the dealership, you have the option to sell privately but that will take work and time. Trading at a dealership saves you that work and time, but at a cost.

No surprise really, sales people will never tell you what they paid for a vehicle, even sales where they post the manufacturer's invoice price on the window are not really accurate for a consumer as they don't tell you the true dealer cost. There are fees paid to the dealer by a manufacturer that are not on that invoice for things like how long the car has been on the lot, and too many other factors to list. One thing you can be sure of is a dealer will never sell without a markup on their true cost or they would not be in business very long.

Sales is a game like poker and we all hold our cards to our chest.

Last edited by twowheels; 06-10-2017 at 01:25 PM.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 06:46 PM

There are 2 prices in this world ... wholesale and retail .... that you got $3200 for your bike and was happy for that at the time and now you see it for $4000 dollars .... a whooping $800 mark up seems to me like sour grapes ..... by your own admission , it had been mildly customised ... ie removal of decals etc.

Here is some breaking news .... dealers make more on used bike sales vs new bike sales. That you went armed with "bike trader" prices means diddly squat .... the "advertised"asking price has NOTHING to do with the final selling price. You sold it for wholesale, and considering there is current a 2014 versys 650 on this forum for sale at $4000 with 2400 miles on it "retail", that is in mint condition, unmodified, I would say the dealer maybe paid to much on a wholesale price...... after all, its still sitting there.

I don't buy, nor do I even look at, bikes that have been customised to the point where decals have been removed and go fast painted calipers are done .... it might be your thing, but you really have limited the pool of buyers that may think that is really cool and detracted from the overall dollar value of the bike..

While the salesman in question may have sung you a BS song, he is probably right, its going to sit there for a while and if they are lucky, they may recoup the trade in value and "floorplan costs" back.

I don't go to a grocery store to buy paint, and I sure don't go to car dealerships to buy bikes.
aemacleod likes this.

And as I flipped into 6th, I could not remember a damn thing she said ....
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 06:50 PM

Garage
I don't get it. You knew the bike was worth more than what they were gonna give you for it, and you knew they were gonna sell it for more. Why not find a different chevy dealership at that point? Of course the salesguy is gonna do his best to get the most out of you. You are supposed to be playing the same game as him.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 07:18 PM

I don't get it. You knew the bike was worth more than what they were gonna give you for it, and you knew they were gonna sell it for more.

Yep .... that's how they make money and stay in business ...

Why not find a different chevy dealership at that point?

By the OP's own admission, he needed to get the deal done

Of course the salesguy is gonna do his best to get the most out of you

I get what you are saying, but all deals should be a "win - win" situation. The secret is to never negotiate a deal that you are not afraid to walk away from

. You are supposed to be playing the same game as him.

As I see it,, the deal would have likely gone down regardless of what game was being played, and who was playing it.

I am not so sure the dealer won the deal .... after all, the bike is still sitting there since last year.

And as I flipped into 6th, I could not remember a damn thing she said ....

Last edited by whiting57; 06-12-2017 at 07:24 PM.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 07:51 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The 2-wheeled motorcycle market is slow slow slow.

Last October, we purchased a brand new leftover 2014 Versys for $4,000 OUT THE DOOR with the factory warranty - and just last month we purchased a brand brand new leftover 2014 Yamaha VStar1300 in red for $6,400 out the door. Again, factory warranty, etc.

There are 2015 year model brand new Gold Wings sitting on dealer show rooms for $18,000 + incentives. Still. And more.

No matter where you go - there you are.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hey Ian, good to see your voice. The one comment was correct that car dealers make more on used cars than new ones, and I'm sure the same is true for bikes. You'll be back out on the road again. Take care.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode