Seat height for a 5'10'' - first bike - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Seat height for a 5'10'' - first bike

Hi, I'm about to buy my first motorcycle. I've not tried any yet (getting my license first), but for what I've read so far I would like a versys. My main concern is the height of the seat. I'm 5'10'' - I think It wouldn't be a "big" problem for an experienced rider, but what about a beginner (first motorcycle)?

What you think is better?
- buy the versys and stay with regular seat
- versys, with lower seat (kawasaky gel seat)
- versys, with another lower seat (which one, btw?)
- Chosse another motorcycle. If I go this way, I will probably go with er6n or er6f(650 nija). It you have other opinions, I would like to know.

I would appreciate you opinions.

Another question not solved for me (but not so worried for now) is about ABS. Should I buy one motorcycke with or without it? (again, in an unexperienced user view)

Thanks,
Felcas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
I am 5'8 and have no problems at all, my wife is a learner/intermediate rider and 5'6 and ride the versys at times with confidence and she reckons it is a bike that rides itself, she does not the look of it as she has a cruiser but that's just a taste thing.

Done 14,000km on the stock seat in the last 15 months with no issues but some riders can't stand the seat, i think it is okay.

Phil
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 10:37 PM

I bought the gel seat first and later installed the lowering kit from Motowerk. It costs $125 dollars and is easy to install. I recommend the lowering kit first as you might not need the $500 Kawi gel seat after.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 10:44 PM

Being new it's very important to sit on each of your choices to decide which inspires more confidence and is most comfortable for you. ie. can you back them up while sitting on them, etc.? If you could try out the gel seat before purchases would be ideal. A short ride is the best route, if the dealer will allow it. Don't put your money down until you "know" it's the right fit for you!

I'm 6'2" and found it a bit tall for me in the beginning, but I think its lowered itself a little with adjustments and use, but may be I'm just used to it now.

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 11:38 PM

There is a lot of nice bikes. I'm 5'6" tall and have no issue with the height. If you want a good bike then start like many of us..buy a used sv650N and build your skills from there. Good luck.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 11:49 PM

Inseam has a lot more to do with it than does overall height.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddler View Post
I bought the gel seat first and later installed the lowering kit from Motowerk. It costs $125 dollars and is easy to install. I recommend the lowering kit first as you might not need the $500 Kawi gel seat after.
I would have to agree here, although I have not added the lowering kit. Some suspension adjustments can also lower it slightly. I to am 5' 10" and don't have A problem with the height, but thought I would when I purchased my versys so I ordered the lower gel seat and sold it within A month as I found it less comfortable than the stock seat.

Those who say money can't buy happines haven't bought A VERSYS.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 08:53 AM

About 5'11''. Added 1 inch cushion on the stock seat, fixed motowerk lowering peg with larger peg for long distance comfort.

Try doing a test ride on the bikes you fancy first. Good Luck!

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 09:31 AM

I've been trying out a lot of bikes lately, and while the Versys does have a higher seat-it is much more manageable than say a dual-sport like the KLR or DRZ. I'm 5'11" and while I can't flatfoot the same as I can the Ninjette or the ER-6n, I can get pretty close.

As far as ABS-if you are in the US you're pretty much out of luck for the Versys (unless the '11 has it). Someone who has tried ABS would have to comment whether or not it would be better/worse for a beginner

I would recommend heading down to a local dealership and sitting on everything you can (thats what I did) Getting a feel for the cockpit/control layout and how far the reach to the ground is. Take a friend to hold the bike up or piece of 3/4 plywood with you to put under the kickstand to get a feel for how it would be with your feet on the pegs. I know test rides (at least around here) are a pain to even get, so I won't beat that dead horse.

Last edited by grecojas; 11-21-2010 at 09:36 AM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 09:46 AM

The Motowerk kit(s) can lower your bike, lower the footpegs, and fix the kickstand foot as well as adjust the bike's lean for the now-lower position. These can be done post-purchase, and, with the exception of the kickstand, are reversible without purchasing additional parts. Total cost is roughly half the cost of a lowered seat, unless you do that yourself. Motowerk quality and service are exceptional and excellent - tried and true solution that fixes the V for those that don't fit factory layout.

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 09:48 AM

I am 5'10" and bought a Versys as a beginner. I have not lowered mine and didn't really like the gel seat when I tried it. Just watch and plan where you stop. The only problem I have had with the height was when I stopped at a stop sign going uphill and with a dip in the pavement. Other than that no problems with the stock height of the seat.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the answers. I will go to a local dealership and see how I feel sitting the standard seat. I will try other bikes either.
About the ABS, I'm in Europe (Portugal) so there is a versys model with it. I would like more opinions about ABS mainly for a beginner. Do you think it's worth the price difference (500 ~ 700$)?

Thanks for your help so far
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 12:15 PM
djg

6'3", 34" inseam. No problem riding the bike with tall Baldwin seat and Motowerks peg lowering kit. Since adding Givi E-21 bags, actually swinging my leg over to mount or dismount is a stretch when bike is on sidestand. I am in line for one of Dallasdon"s centerstands, which should be available this week, per PM from DD.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felcas View Post
Thanks for the answers. I will go to a local dealership and see how I feel sitting the standard seat. I will try other bikes either.
About the ABS, I'm in Europe (Portugal) so there is a versys model with it. I would like more opinions about ABS mainly for a beginner. Do you think it's worth the price difference (500 ~ 700$)?

Thanks for your help so far
I WOULD have ABS if it'd been available. (In my car the ABS has done good work a few times...!)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 03:22 PM

Garage
I'm 5'8", 31 inch inseam. The Versys is my second bike, having spent 2 seasons and 12,000 kms on a Ninja 250r. The seat height was a big change for me and I was really worried at first that I'd made a big mistake on this tall bike.

What I found after a bit of time though, was that you just have to get used to it. I have not changed my seat, or lowered the bike, and I have not grown. Yet, after 2 months and 2,700 kms I can manouvre this bike just fine. I roll it and stop it and wheel it around with just as much confidence as I did with the small Ninja. Sure, I'm not flat footed both sides with my knees bent like before, but I'm comfortatble and confident and that just takes a bit of time.

ENJOY.

Always trust your cape.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 07:30 PM

I'm 5'7" with a 29" inseam. I bough the bike used and had the low seat already. Perfect bike no issues. I ride with an airhawk butt pad that raises the seat about 1/2 inch. You are 5'10" the standard seat is about 2 inches higher than the low. You should be ok. Your first bike is your first bike and any will take a little time to get adjusted to. Have you taken an MSF approved training course? If not, go and take it before you get in the bike. The best money you'll ever spend.

If the Versys feels right, Go for it.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 11:25 PM

If the Vs. feels good to you after sitting some other bikes, it isn't too tall. I like the idea of starting used too, though ABS may change that. If you can swing the price of a new Vs then you should definitely go for the ABS as well, well worth it.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 08:30 AM

Garage
Unless you have 20 more vertebra and your ankle are attached to your knee, you don't need to worry about the seat height

At 5' 10" you will find this bike close to perfection !!!

Their's a gall, Roadstergall, that sometimes chime's in, and she's someting like 5' 01" and crazy about her Versys

Don't worry

Easy bike for beginer (IMHO)

LOP
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 03:51 PM

short guys

I'm 5'9" with a 29" inseam....i ride the Ninja 650R & at times it can be tall & tricky.....any bike but a Goldwing is gonna be to tall for us regular height guys...you get used to it, or end up selling your gently used bike to someone & quit riding...no

Scott
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 08:27 PM

I'm also 5'10 with an inseam of 32". I agree that you need to be aware of where you stop. I've almost dropped mine a couple of times because I was in a dip or low spot. Also, with a full tank of gas, the bike can fill a little top heavy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode