Talk me into it! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Talk me into it!

Brand new to the Versys site but not to motorcycling. I love my BMW GS, have a Honda XR650L also to ride on pure dirt. Not sure why I'm seriously tempted by a Green Versys, but I am.

I'm not sure if I want talked into it or out of getting one, but would appreciate your thoughts!

Certainly don't need the Versys (snow is starting) but sure lust after one.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 06:59 PM

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 07:01 PM

Not sure why you would need talking into or out of a Versys? Most of the riders on this forum have many bikes in the stable now, or have a long list of past bikes. The Versys is just one of those rare motorcycles that hit the fun factor nail on the head. You could not do yourself wrong to own one, but you might regret never owning one.
Right now, you are behind all the other riders that have discovered it's potential.
Hope that helps.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Very well said. Motorcycles really are not rational machines. The fun factor is really about everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Not sure why you would need talking into or out of a Versys? Most of the riders on this forum have many bikes in the stable now, or have a long list of past bikes. The Versys is just one of those rare motorcycles that hit the fun factor nail on the head. You could not do yourself wrong to own one, but you might regret never owning one.
Right now, you are behind all the other riders that have discovered it's potential.
Hope that helps.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
The versys is just a fun bike which makes you smile, my previous bike was a GS 650 but the v will blow that out of the water on the road but going off road on rough stuff would prefer my old bmw as the suspension was just so much better in my opinion.

test ride a versys and see what you think
Phil
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 07:31 PM

Hell I'm not sure why I'm attracted to it myself. I recently bought a Bandit thinking it'd be everything I ever wanted but I find myself bored from having to restrain my right wrist. I also hate the exhaust note the header configuration and pipe generate. I decided wanted a do it all street bike with about 60-75 horse in the 400lbs class and the V immediately caught my eye. I'm normally partial to older style naked bikes but this thing is just so ugly it's almost pretty. I like how it feels sitting on one, not reaching for the bars like the Bandit, feels more like my Nighthawk except this thing actually has some leg room. I've yet to read a review of one that dislikes the motor and how the bike handles. I thought the controls felt kinda cheap but I don't hear about them breaking so they obviously work. We'll see if I've changed my mind come spring when it's time to thin the heard and buy one.

1982 Honda CB450SC Nighthawk
2009 Green Versys
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 07:37 PM

This my man, requires a test ride to satisfy any curiosity or questions that may have arised.

Agreed with Phil. The V is more of a pavement bike compared to the GS.

If you, haven't, some info:

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 08:54 PM

I rode several diff. styles of bikes from cruisers to crotch rockets and none of them felt as natural as the Versys did. If you can def. get hooked up with a test drive, the bike will sell it's self! Just don't forget to take your check book with you.
The green ones are the fastest

Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy49 View Post
The green ones are the fastest
In all respect saying green ones are fastest is not proven and you may put the original poster wrong, a very long winded test has proven that red/orange is the fastest in the fleet with orange being 0.00000243 faster than the red but to close for the human eye to tell. This is a fact
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
In all respect saying green ones are fastest is not proven and you may put the original poster wrong, a very long winded test has proven that red/orange is the fastest in the fleet with orange being 0.00000243 faster than the red but to close for the human eye to tell. This is a fact
I believe a read in an obscure academic study that it's only true below the equator.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 09:58 PM

If they used the proper Kawasaki green it would have been the fastest, but they used the wrong shade.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
I believe a read in an obscure academic study that it's only true below the equator.
Very true and good spotting, north of the equator red/orange are a bit faster again. A kiwi who split the atom had proved it but his report was stolen by a bunch of little green men
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 07:10 AM

My cousin Jim and I used to ride the deer trails here in Michigan when we were teens...Me on his Honda trail50, and him on his Honda 'elsinore'.
That was then...We are both 51 years old now.
Last year I bought my first bike... The Versys!
Last year Jim bought a top of the line KTM trail bike. (His first bike in over 30 years).
Jim asked me why I didn't by a dirt bike?
Hmmmm... I ride everyday. (walk out to the garage and start it up).
Jim needs to load up his bike and drive 3 hours, arrange for a place to sleep then hit the trails.
To each his own I guess but, I'll go with
INSTANT GRATIFICATION

Aerodynamically sound since 1959. So says the good folk @ Lockheed, Atlanta GA.
The KLE 650 VERSYS: It can't replace the Love of a good woman but...

My Bike is my solitude amongst the multitudes

"Wounds heal, chicks dig scars...Glory, lasts forever!"
TRUE PATRIOTS QUESTION EVERYTHING
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 11:22 AM

Agreed the Versys is different looking, to kind of cool looking. We all lust after other bikes that are cooler looking, bigger, more HP, etc, and as I fall into this from time to time I just can't and do not want to give up the ride of the Versys. Ride one in the twisties and you'll see what we all in this forum know and love about the Versys. It ROCKS!
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Love my V - best handling bike I've had, and that WILL go into "license-losing-territory" pretty easily, though I'm not tempted to go there like I was on my 1200S Bandit. Try it, you'll like it!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 12:58 PM

Well i for one bought mine so i could go with all my Beemer friends we ride 50% on the road and 30% really bad road then the rest are cow trails.. So far i have been able to comfortably go everywhere they have wanted to... Huge advantage not to have all the weight to manhandle like the GS1200 guys do.....Wouldnt trade it for anything else...

09 Versys
08 V2K aka The Beast
09 Voyager its cushy and smooth
08 V 900 hers and all tricked out
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 01:21 PM

do it
/thread

Scott
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 08:51 PM

Bought mine 2-1/2 years ago, put 33k miles on it with just normal maintenance. Love the bike, the way it handles, its power/acceleration. Ride it on dirt roads and occasional single track. The bike does it all, and it's very fun to ride. My advice: buy one.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Think I'm going to do it; just my kind of bike. Thank you for the all the imput! I'll post pics when she arrives.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-22-2010, 03:24 PM

I had a GS 650. I can change the oil on my V in less then 15 min. I can check my valves in 1 hour. I have the shop manual and it cost less then 100 bucks. I can load it down with 150 pounds of gear and the ride performance does not change at all. It cost half of what you spent on the BMW. The only downside I have found between the two is the GS is a little more planted on dirt roads but not enough to be a deal breaker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode