gen 3: Are you tired of people telling you a headlight is out? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
gen 3: Are you tired of people telling you a headlight is out?

Skene Lights - motorcycle safety lighting

"Our new IQ-270-A runs your high beam at a lower brightness until the high beam is switched on. *More light and a balanced look!"

I love skenedesign products. High quality and plug and play.

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
People tell me my lights are on but nobody's home...
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 07:03 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Yes! That's why ...double projector, bi-xenon, Angel eyes, LED strips with turning lights function...

ok, maybe I went a little bit overboard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8.jpg (84.8 KB, 136 views)
Fastoman and Urbanengineer like this.

Versys 2015 Green

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 07:24 PM

Ill keep my second headlight off. There's a reason that double headlights havnt been a thing since the end of the 90s. Motorcycles were confused with faraway cars and drivers were misjudging how far they were.

If you add lights, you need to do it in a way that breaks the car headlights look.
RocketyMan likes this.
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 08:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I don't have that problem as during daylight hours I always ride with the high beams on.

I don't care what you ride, just ride.
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanebanger View Post
People tell me my lights are on but nobody's home...
Worse, somebody stole all the furniture!
lanebanger likes this.
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woots View Post
Ill keep my second headlight off. There's a reason that double headlights havnt been a thing since the end of the 90s. Motorcycles were confused with faraway cars and drivers were misjudging how far they were.

If you add lights, you need to do it in a way that breaks the car headlights look.
Concours 1400, Goldwing 1800, Triumph Trophy SE, FJR 1300, etc. All have two low beams on.

I add other lights to my commuting and touring bikes to increase conspicuity.
quexpress, BKP and Urbanengineer like this.
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
I only run my low-beam (as well as my Denali DMs) because IF the low-beam bulb 'dies' I can replace it w/ the high-beam bulb.

Lours_Polaire likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 12:36 PM

I'd probably be tired if I cared at all what some stranger asks about my motorcycle. I've been ignoring the general population for so many years, I just grunt and say it's fine if they can actually get me to respond. Now if they axe me to what value I have my fork preload settings adjusted, then we might have a chat. But where I live, it's Harleys that are ridden the most......on the straightest roads usually. And Harley riders seldom speak to me or ask questions. Just the way it is.
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 08:00 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Concours 1400, Goldwing 1800, Triumph Trophy SE, FJR 1300, etc. All have two low beams on.

I add other lights to my commuting and touring bikes to increase conspicuity.
I'm not too worried about being more conspicuous. Chances are, if they don't see one headlight, they won't see two either as they diddle with their phone. It would be nice to have two just for the extra light. Low beam is pretty much useless on mine.

Science...because we don't figure things out by praying.
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I only run my low-beam (as well as my Denali DMs) because IF the low-beam bulb 'dies' I can replace it w/ the high-beam bulb.

My 1977 Yamaha XS750 had a spare headlight bulb and a spare tail light bulb. If the primary blew, the spare would light and an indicator on the instrument cluster would illuminate. That bike had a lot of innovations like that.

My Versys Travels:

post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 11:39 AM
BKP

Garage
I don't particularly care what other people think either... however, I *am* tired of being told, being flashed, and even pulled over twice, for "having a light out." I've even had other bikers pull up alongside to "let me know..." Usually cruisers that aren't familiar w/ Kawasaki Ninjas and Versys...

This is the first, in a long line, of bikes that has only had a single beam on, in a side by side configuration, and I've *never* had a "head-on recognition issue." So, I think I might look into this...

Ride safe...

Barry
2015 Versys 650 Pearl White
[space holder for farkles...]
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKP View Post
...This is the first, in a long line, of bikes that has only had a single beam on, in a side by side configuration, and I've *never* had a "head-on recognition issue." So, I think I might look into this....
BEFORE the V I had a 'Zuki Bandit 1200S w/ the same two light set-up. Never bothered me then, nor does it NOW.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 11:29 AM

Only had someone comment on this once, and it hardly bothers me. I do like some of the features of this gadget....

However, this product is not 'plug and play' they include posi-taps, not factory connectors. So it is 'splice and play'; I got excited that maybe it was truly made to be mounted and plugged in and ready to go....

2016 Versys 650LT - Madstad, T-Bob, LeoVince, SeatConcepts, HyperPro CSC Damper, Shoodabeen Flashed
2003 KLR 685 - +1mm IN & EX SS valves P&P, Innovate Wideband O2 Sensor, Progressive 465 w/ RAP, ThermoBob
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 12:07 PM

Garage
It doesn't bother me at all. My "07 BMW F800 ST had the same headlight set-up. In the five years I owned the bike, only one person told me I had a headlight out. I've had my Gen III Versys for only eight months, but in that time, no one has told me that one of my headlights is out. So, for me anyway, this isn't enough of an issue to make this particular change.
quexpress likes this.
post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 12:14 PM

Garage
I can't hear anyone at 75 mph. I can't even hear my own horn at 75 mph.

Who is trying to tell you your headlamp is out, that's just weird.

2016 KLZ1000GBFAL
No mods yet
post #17 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

Wanna "play w/ their minds"?

Ask them to gently rap on the side that's OUT, then hit the 'flash-to-pass' when they do.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #18 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 06:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I went through a police road block one day and the cop said "you have a headlight out"......I said "look again" and hit high beams and then back to low. He looked at me oddly and I told him one was low beam and the other was high beam. He thought that was "odd" for some reason.
post #19 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 10:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
He thought that was "odd" for some reason.

It is. And I believe it is a dangerous design, generally speaking. A motorcycle should clearly be a motorcycle at night. Twin horizontal headlights close together (high beams) appear to be a car or truck at a distance. Only it is close. An offset low beam headlight can be mistaken for a car with a light out. Neither are good things to have other motorists thinking.

But Im biased, I ride a gen 2 with an ugly but very functional vertical headlight arrangement that will never be mistaken for anything else...

2011 V650 in Black, well accessorized.
post #20 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 11:50 PM

I installed Signal Dynamics headlight modulator. Low beam flash or solid, high beam solid or modulate w/ solid low. It's like a parting of the Red Sea with modulating high beam when lane splitting, lot of cars pulling left to give room. light sensor to disable at dusk.
quexpress likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode