Statistics? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Statistics?

Since the HD accident I have noticed on my local news channel that some broadcasters have been saying that motorcycle accidents are on the rise with car accidents decreasing. I find this "fact" hard to believe with winter coming on and A LOT of folks putting up their ride for the winter. Anybody else notice this trend?

Cheers!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
What we hear in the News Channels is just BS. I will be very happy if non of us, bikes land up in the statistics figures.

to all bikes
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post
What we hear in the News Channels is just BS. I will be very happy if non of us, bikes land up in the statistics figures.

to all bikes
My good friend is right, most news stories are a mixture of BS

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post

to all bikes
Yeah..."we are all just statistics waiting to happen."

That was tragic.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 02:11 AM

I use TV for video games.
Much more realistic.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 02:50 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by angst View Post
Since the HD accident I have noticed on my local news channel that some broadcasters have been saying that motorcycle accidents are on the rise with car accidents decreasing. I find this "fact" hard to believe with winter coming on and A LOT of folks putting up their ride for the winter. Anybody else notice this trend?
Stats for things like this take a while to gather data and then publish it. As a result any published statistics would be at least a several months old. Gathered data does show an increase in # of fatalities per accident in states that have recently repealed their helmet laws. Google for links.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 03:16 AM

I wouldn't be so sure

Could just be a temporary spike. We had two serious MC accidents here in one week last month, and a much higher than average crash and fatality rate overall. Some anecdotal evidence from my own observation: the number of bikes on the road on nice days in mid- to late fall is far greater than at any time other than early spring. Everybody's trying to take advantage of the weather and get in one last ride.

Even in the macro, people keep pointing out statistics and trends suggesting more bikers getting into or returning to the sport. More accidents would logically follow. With ABS on cars now near-universal and stability/traction control and other electronic countermeasures on more and more vehicles, a decrease in auto accidents is also plausible. I wouldn't discount the report the OP references out of hand.

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 03:30 AM

Fact is biking is a dangerous hobby. Also like the fact helmets saves lives.
It serves it's purpose everytime you put it on.

Another fact is nobody believe they would ever have an accident. Fact is if you ride, you will eventually go down. Dress for that inevitable crash as your life depends on it. And it does. I pray none of us would ever go through that.

It's always better to be safe than sorry. Prevention is better than cure because sometimes the cure might not be there.

Bikers or motorcyclist has always been singled out as the bad ones. Most important and only yourself can make a difference. Ride safe.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride safe,

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 04:07 AM

can't speak for the US, but according to UK official stats
http://www.statistics.gov.uk/STATBAS....asp?vlnk=4031
1992 2002
469 609 motorbike riders (inc passengers) killed
7,338 7,500 motorbike riders (inc passengers) Killed or serously injured
26,891 28,353 motorbike riders (inc passengers) all 'severities' (presuambly incidents reported to police
1,978 1,747 car drivers and passengers Killed
25,124 187,28 car drivers and passengers killed or seriously injured
185,662 197,425 car drivers and passengers all 'severities' (presuambly incidents reported to police

in that 11 year period
theres been an increase of 25% in the number of riders getting killed, but the overall rates have increased slightly
theres fewer car drivers are getting killed ( 12%), or killed/seriously injured (75%) but the overall accident rate is slightly up 6%

so that suggests that more riders are killing themselves, more car users are having accindents but they are either minor accidents or something is improving the survivial / safety rate (not knowing the basis of the stats it would be imprudent to suggest, but I do wonder if improvement in care design has led to that (eg ABS, shock absorption designs and so on))
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 06:03 AM

In evaluating news coverage, always consider the mantra of television news: "If it bleeds, it leads."

[SIZE="1"]Ride. Good.

2003 ST1300ABS
2008 Versys
IBA 59868
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 06:09 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 06:16 AM

..anyway back to bike riding/road traffic stats......
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlee29 View Post
Fact is biking is a dangerous hobby.
Agree.

Quote:
Also like the fact helmets saves lives. It serves it's purpose everytime you put it on.
Agree.

Quote:
Another fact is nobody believe they would ever have an accident.
Agree.

Quote:
Fact is if you ride, you will eventually go down.
Strongly Disagree. I have been riding for 23 years. I ride with others that have been riding for 30+ years and have never as much as dropped a bike at a stand still.

I also know people who have ridden into their 70's and finally stopped riding due to physical limitations who never wrecked.

Just because you ride, does not mean you will go down. I have never bought into the notion "Its not if you go down, its when."

I am also not stupid enough to really believe "It won't happen to me" because $*it happens. But I do believe my riding style, experience, and the choices I make every day greatly affect my chances of not being involved in a wreck.

Quote:
Ride safe.
You as well.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 06:17 PM

Hi Capt. Kirk,

Like you pointed out, even dropped a bike at a stand still meant going down. I mean this in a good way. This happen to me , too.

Also, you mentioned it is one self that decides our chances to be involved in an wreck. I concur with that. However also tell that to the other motorist (mostly drivers) who claim they didn't see you or any BS they provide.
We share the road with everyone who's off somewhere.

The Law of Probability and Murphy's law is always present. Having a positive attitude and mind set turns the tide in one's favor. Returning home safely everyday is the goal.

Ride safe,too. , Capt.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Like you pointed out, even dropped a bike at a stand still meant going down. I mean this in a good way. This happen to me , too.
I meant no dis-respect in my reply to you, I hope it did not come across that way.

When I was 16 years old, I actually dismounted my bike and walked away only to hear it fall over behind me. Yep! I forgot to put the kickstand down because I was in a hurry I guess. I learned from that day to always be sure its in gear, kickstand down, and actually rock the bike a little before letting go.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 07:22 PM

Fairly Recent artical , Numbers From last year but still valid...

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010...7-says-report/

"After 11 straight years of increase, motorcycle traffic fatalities are projected to decline by at least 10 percent nationally in 2009, the Governors Highway Safety Association announced in a report [PDF] released on Thursday."

08 Versys (Red)
Two Brothers Slip-On V.A.L.E. Exhaust
Two Brothers Juice Box
Arrow Headers
Motowerk Lowering kit w/Flatfoot
SW-MOTECH Crashbars/Engine Guards w/Hwy Pegs
SW-MOTECH mirror wideners
Rear Spool Sliders

~Comming soon~
Front Axel Sliders
Red LED Body Kit

1980 Kawi KZ1000 LTD
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 07:29 PM

Capt,

I never feel your reply was disrespectful in anyway and I hope the feelings are the same for mine. We agree to disagree and discuss anything under the sun in a civilized way.
Wish the world was like that, we could avoid so much loss of life and pain on either side.

Both of us know we all love to ride and there are dangers out there on the streets. Knowing these dangers make us prepared and ready to take action when needed.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Attitude makes the difference.

Just because you ride, does not mean you will go down. I have never bought into the notion "Its not if you go down, its when."

I am also not stupid enough to really believe "It won't happen to me" because $*it happens. But I do believe my riding style, experience, and the choices I make every day greatly affect my chances of not being involved in a wreck.

Captain I could not agree with you more. I ride carefully at all times. I do my best to watch traffic and not rush through traffic. I do believe that it is very possible ride your entire life and not have an accident. Like I tell my kids. If you do anything stupidly it can be dangerous and eventually it will catch up with you. Doing dangerous things as safely as possible can give you a long life. Ride safely my friend.

Cheers!

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 06:23 PM

Totally agreed that altitude makes the difference.

Last year (2009) Malaysia had 113962 motorcycle related accidents from the previous 2005 of 97,072.
http://www.jkjr.gov.my/statistics.html
Out of this in 2009, all total accident related fatalities were 6745 people.
For a population of 25 million, that's a lot.

Ride safe.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 06:53 PM

I wonder if this might have anything to do with it?

http://www2.alabamas13.com/news/2010...us-ar-1095929/

WASHINGTON (AP) - Federal safety officials want states to require all motorcycle riders to wear helmets, citing a surge in deaths since the late 1990s.

The National Transportation Safety Board says motorcycle deaths have increased over the last decade even as other traffic fatalities have declined.

The board said there were 4,400 motorcycle deaths in the U.S. last year, more than in all aviation, rail, marine and pipeline accidents combined. Head injuries are the leading cause of death in motorcycle crashes.

The board said 20 states require all motorcycle riders to wear helmets.

Most states have limited helmet requirements, and three states - Iowa, Illinois and Vermont - have no requirement.

Ride em if ya got em!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode