OEM Side Case questions - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
OEM Side Case questions

Hi

I've got a question since im really hard thinking about buying the OEM side cases to my Versys 650 -15.

Are they possible to use on other bikes with some kind of pannier holder?

Are the side cases rebranded/based on any other brand? If so, can you buy that case and use instead?

They cost me 8000 SEK or 920 dollars in Sweden. Do you think that's worth it or should i go for some other aftermarket case? Cause im thinking if i switch bike i ofc rather be able to use same cases so i don't "waste" too much money on it.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 02:07 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cire View Post
Hi

I've got a question since im really hard thinking about buying the OEM side cases to my Versys 650 -15.

Are the side cases rebranded/based on any other brand? If so, can you buy that case and use instead?

They cost me 8000 SEK or 920 dollars in Sweden. Do you think that's worth it or should i go for some other aftermarket case? Cause im thinking if i switch bike i ofc rather be able to use same cases so i don't "waste" too much money on it.

Thanks in advance.

The OEM cases are made by Givi....Which also makes Kappa.... I think the OEM cases are overpriced. My 2016 Versys 1000LT came with side hard luggage but i would have preferred an option not to have them and get the bike at a lower price

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
The OEM cases are made by Givi....Which also makes Kappa.... I think the OEM cases are overpriced. My 2016 Versys 1000LT came with side hard luggage but i would have preferred an option not to have them and get the bike at a lower price
Overpriced OEM panniers is like saying politicians are pretty much b.s. artists.. a vast understatement.

However, that said I've got 'em and like 'em. The motorcycle press usually gives them a thumbs up, and I would agree with that conclusion. YMMV.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 03:24 PM

The bags are over priced; however, they ar made for the bike and easy to remove and increase the value. only over priced by a few hundred at best. If your are that tight with your budget, you probably shouldn't be in the market for a bike. Guys spend a lot more trying to pimp out their bike!
aboyandhisversys likes this.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

But are they based on any Givi case that is out on the market and does fit the versys?
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 06:57 PM

I don't think they are based on a Givi bag but made for Kawasaki. The Givi V35 might be a good choice as they will fit many other bikes with the right brackets and were the bags Kawasaki offered on the 1st and 2nd gen Versys. Plus they are a little larger.

Or was that look THEN leap?

2012 650 Versys
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 07:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I know the factory top case is made by Givi. It's the same as the V47, which I have. But I don't think the side bags are. And if they are, like said before, they are only sold by Kawasaki. I have a '16 LT which came with bags. One of the reasons I chose the bike I did was because of how good I think the bags look on the bike.

I don't care what you ride, just ride.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 09:05 PM

The new style do look nice. I also like that there is almost nothing left on the bike when you take them off...very clean. The top bag is pretty much a shock Givi box like he said and that's a good thing in that you can buy the mounting bracket from Twisted Throttle and then get their SW Motech plate and put any top box on you want.

The top box for my 2012 I got from Kawasaki is so small I have a hard time getting my full face helmet in it...gotta hold my tongue just right. I was looking at a bigger box today and with the Motech plate it'll snap right on with no changes at all.

2012 650 Versys
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Its the hardware that makes the difference not the case. Kawa factory made fittings are much better in quality than after market but the hard cases are almost the same - kawa original vs Givi. my 2cts thoughts.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 06:35 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I bought a set of GIVI V35 bags when I had my '07 Ninja 650. I told myself then that any bike that replaced that Ninja would have to take the V35s. I had them on the Ninja for 15,000 miles, the Versys for 30,000 miles, and now have them on the FZ-07. Of course you have to sell the brackets and get new ones for each bike.

Cire likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 06:54 AM

Another plus for the V35 (not that you want to need it) is you can replace every part on them. After some butthead kicked my bike overi replaced to damaged parts for much less than a new bags would have cost (only sold as pairs) I think it was less than $35.00 for the lower panels (sold as a pair) from Givi. NOW the painted upper panel from Kawasaki were over $100.00 but again that's a pair. But a new set of bags were close to $750.00 at the time as I recall.

I also added lighting to the lens, care of a kit from Add More Light, to "Hopefully" get a bit more attention from drivers behind me. Also added a brake light modulator on them.

Cire likes this.

2012 650 Versys
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 07:13 AM

AFAIK, the Gen3 OEM side cases won't fit any other bike or mounting system except the Versys 1000 and the Ninja 1000. For my '15 ABS model, I went with the SW-Motech EVO quick-disconnect side racks with Givi E-22 cases, and the SW-M steel luggage rack with Givi adapter so I can use my Givi V-47 when I want. Bought the side and top cases from Motostorm in Italy, which even with shipping to the US was much cheaper than buying from my favorite vendor, Revzilla, which is only an hour away.

Cire likes this.

2015 Versys 650 ABS
AMA, MSTA, Retreads

Nat'l Cycle "Sport-Touring" screen; Givi hand guards; BMW Sport Grips; Omni-Cruise throttle lock; Motowerk mirror extenders, side stand foot & highway pegs; Denali Mini Soundbomb horn; SW-Motech top rack, Quick-Lock Evo side racks, wide foot pegs & GPS shelf; Givi E-22 side cases & V-47 top case; RKA 13L Shiloh Road tank bag; Hyper-Lites; Sargent seat; Shoodaben ECU reflash; decalectomy.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 08:22 AM

The only thing I didn't like about the V35 cases that were sold through Kawasaki on the Gen 2's were the fact that the mounting brackets were so far from the bike that it made it too wide for my tastes.

The only photo I have of the V with cases from the bike show in 2011.

Time, your V35's look much closer to the body of the bike, I may have been swayed to get a Versys five years ago had I known that was the case. I also really like the size and look of those smaller cases Doug, very nice.

In the end I prefer the current gen's OEM cases simply because they are integrated into the body of the bike. I guess I will learn more about them, both pros and cons the more I use them.

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turk View Post
The only thing I didn't like about the V35 cases that were sold through Kawasaki on the Gen 2's were the fact that the mounting brackets were so far from the bike that it made it too wide for my tastes.

The only photo I have of the V with cases from the bike show in 2011.

Time, your V35's look much closer to the body of the bike, I may have been swayed to get a Versys five years ago had I known that was the case. I also really like the size and look of those smaller cases Doug, very nice.

In the end I prefer the current gen's OEM cases simply because they are integrated into the body of the bike. I guess I will learn more about them, both pros and cons the more I use them.
With the 3rd gen bikes you are better off buying the LT than adding the bags. Higher residual value.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Time, your V35's look much closer to the body of the bike, I may have been swayed to get a Versys five years ago had I known that was the case. I also really like the size and look of those smaller cases Doug, very nice
SW Motech brackets from Twisted Throttle. About 1" or 2" closer to the bike on each side, a bit higher and best of all, a turn of 4 Duz screws and the brackets pop right off. BUT best of all less cash than the factory brackets were.

2012 650 Versys
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Agree. As with most, if not all, aftermarket companies: they do not look as "integrated" as the OEM side cases. For me, it's pure vanity, but I like the look of the OEM cases and don't mind the uptick in price for that [better] appearance.

2017 Versys 650 LT -- Titanium
Debadged, Moto Werk lowering kit, slimmed down OEM seat, Shad SH33 top case, Scorpion Serket Taper exhaust, Moto Werk 1" risers, Grab On grip covers
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

The factory cases are specific to the Versys. They plug into special slots under the seat grab-rail and nest into a rubber piece near the passenger foot pegs. They won't go onto a regular rack system on another bike.

On the Versys, the factory boxes are very nice in some ways, but I do have a major complaint about them. First the good: They are very quick to attach/detach from the bike. They are big enough for all of my normal needs. They are keyed to the ignition key of the bike, so I don't need to carry another key.

Now the bad: The shape is very inconvenient. They are not rectangular at all. This means it is difficult to impossible to get rectangular objects in. A brief case, shoulder bag, lunch bag, my Microsoft Surface tablet for work. All of them either don't fit or have to be mashed to get them in.

If you plan on carrying specific items like a bag for work or a laptop computer, take it with you to the dealer to be sure it fits into the factory luggage.

If I had it to do over, I would not have purchased the factory luggage. For my commuting to work it has turned out to be a problem fitting in the things I need.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the information and advice that you give! It's making my choise harder, but i think it also makes it better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
Another plus for the V35 (not that you want to need it) is you can replace every part on them. After some butthead kicked my bike overi replaced to damaged parts for much less than a new bags would have cost (only sold as pairs) I think it was less than $35.00 for the lower panels (sold as a pair) from Givi. NOW the painted upper panel from Kawasaki were over $100.00 but again that's a pair. But a new set of bags were close to $750.00 at the time as I recall.

I also added lighting to the lens, care of a kit from Add More Light, to "Hopefully" get a bit more attention from drivers behind me. Also added a brake light modulator on them.
One of the things that was pro OEM bag was that they are close to the body since i lanesplit sometimes that is a real pro. But this kit does really look slim aswell, do you have any photos of it in daylight?

The price i got for that SW-Motech kit and V35 Monokey cases is 624 dollars. 300 dollar diffrence from the OEM bags. That really makes me consider this alot.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
SW Motech brackets from Twisted Throttle. About 1" or 2" closer to the bike on each side, a bit higher and best of all, a turn of 4 Duz screws and the brackets pop right off. BUT best of all less cash than the factory brackets were.
Yep, that's right .... snugs em in nicely

And as I flipped into 6th, I could not remember a damn thing she said ....
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all the information and advice that you give! It's making my choise harder, but i think it also makes it better.

One of the things that was pro OEM bag was that they are close to the body since i lanesplit sometimes that is a real pro. But this kit does really look slim aswell, do you have any photos of it in daylight?

The price i got for that SW-Motech kit and V35 Monokey cases is 624 dollars. 300 dollar diffrence from the OEM bags. That really makes me consider this alot.
I have had 3 sets of PLX v35's .... they are good quality, replacement parts are inexpensive and available, not only are they larger, but the shape offers more usable space.... put them with the motech brackets, you still end up with a clean look vs the givi brackets.

good luck on what ever you decide.

And as I flipped into 6th, I could not remember a damn thing she said ....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode