Garmin ZUMO 550 Installation - some advice :D - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garmin ZUMO 550 Installation - some advice :D

G'day,

I wanna install my Garmin ZUMO 550 gps on the V.

Any advice regarding on to what circuit should I connect it to ?

I know you can choose weather to have it constantly on or only with ignition - I still havn't made up my mind about that.

any pics, comments, suggestions, and what not would be appriciated

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 07:14 PM

IMO If you’re only going to have only one accessory, makes no difference what it is. Add a power outlet that’s hooked straight to the battery with of course a fuse. If you’re going to need expandability use a multi circuit fused buss properly wired to the battery that uses license plate illuminator light or running light circuit to power a relay (N.O.) to activate it’s switched circuits. This alternative is professional, expandable, reliable. IMO

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=12778

Is a recent thread with some input for your question. I'm sure there are others.

"Respect the Ride if you don't you Won't"
"A man's got to know his limitations"

Last edited by cmoreride; 11-18-2010 at 09:18 AM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 07:27 PM

If your Zumo has a built in battery it would stay on when the bike is turned off so I'd have it set on the ignition. Don't know if it has a battery though...

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 07:42 PM

It will, but you have to tell it to stay on. It will ask if you want it to turn off or run on battery when you turn the ignition off. I wired mine that way to make sure I didn't leave it on and run down the battery, plus I like for it to turn off when I turn the ignition off. If I am stopping for gas or some other quick stop, I just tell it to run on the GPS battery.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 08:12 PM

I wired mine as well to shut off when the bike was turned off. Worked well on the trip to Florida and back. No problems!.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 10:14 PM

+1
Wired mine to turn off when the ignition is off. It is easy to choose the option to leave it on for the occasions you want that, like when you're just getting gas or something.

Install an aux fuse box (like Fuzeblocks FZ-1) with switched and unswitched power and wire from there, or tap into the headlight circuit. The Zumo draws very little power.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Great input guys....

Im still on the fence about the switched or non switched option.

Where did you connect the ground to ? just the frame or somewhere else ?

If I choose to connect it to a non switched wire, which one would you recommend ? is it ok to just connect it to the Bat ?

any pic and all detailed info could be very helpful

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 11:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I recently mounted a Garmin 205W on my V (Moto Werk universal GPS mounting bracket and Garmin OEM hard-wire cable) and wired it into the tail light circuit because it seemed the simplest way.
I tapped into the red wire (the left of the three wires) at the tail light plug and grounded the ciucuit to the grounding point already installed on the right rear side beneath the saddle. There are already two grounds attached there so another doesn't matter and it's a good ground or Kawasaki wouldn't have used it - I assume.
Most importantly, it works as advertised. It's powered when the ignition is on and when turned off, the GPS asks if it should stay on or turn off - politely, of course.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 05:14 AM
djg

I wired my GPS to the LH running light wires, it was the closest most convenient source. Power and ground. It comes on with ignition. No problems so far. GPS uses very little current, the cable that came with the GPS has an inline fuse. This is an old Garmin 2610.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibonneau View Post
Im still on the fence about the switched or non switched option.

Where did you connect the ground to ? just the frame or somewhere else ?

If I choose to connect it to a non switched wire, which one would you recommend ? is it ok to just connect it to the Bat ?

any pic and all detailed info could be very helpful

Mine was originally connected to the battery and it worked fine. I just like it better if the power to the GPS connector is off when not in use. If you don't cover it and it gets wet what happens? Does anything short out?

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!

Now I have four!

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretbek View Post
+1
Wired mine to turn off when the ignition is off. It is easy to choose the option to leave it on for the occasions you want that, like when you're just getting gas or something.

Install an aux fuse box (like Fuzeblocks FZ-1) with switched and unswitched power and wire from there, or tap into the headlight circuit. The Zumo draws very little power.

This is the way to go.

Steve

Now I have four!

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I hot wired it to the Battery and with Fused and kill switch.

The problem with Zumo is when you do a search it will require main power supply and as all know the V safe idling time is short and it heats up.

So i dont start the v , but switch on the zumo and set my destination before starting.

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 10:49 AM

Garage
I bought my bike used, and it came with a Zumo 450 mounted on the bars with a RAM mount.

With the bars straight it kind of blocked the gauges, and was just to in my face. I bought the Motowerk Zumo mount and like it much better. It looks much better, tucked away, almost like it could be OEM. Quick glances at the GPS are much easier as I ride down the road now.

(Sorry about the crappy photo)

As for wiring. It came hard wired to the battery, and it did work. But it was easy to leave on and forget about. (I killed 1 bike battery)

I rewired it to be switched. I opened up the bikes fuse box next to the battery and wrapped the GPS power wire around the fuse for the brake lights. (If I uninstall the GPS, there is no damage to any wiring.) I forgot what I connected the ground to, but I am pretty sure there was a spot Kawi used that I used as well. When I turn my ignition key the GPS will automatically power on via the bikes battery. If I want just the GPS I can still turn it on by pushing the power button and using the GPS battery. It will auto turn off after 30 seconds when I shut the bike down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post

The problem with Zumo is when you do a search it will require main power supply and as all know the V safe idling time is short and it heats up.

So i dont start the v , but switch on the zumo and set my destination before starting.

Anything wrong with your cooling system? I can let my bike idle for a long time before the fan will kick on, and even then, it does not seem too hot.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastoman View Post

Is your cooling fan not working or something.

Time alone with ones thoughts, is quality time.

They say there is a lack of jobs. Seems here to be more a lack of people willing to work hard, and take pride in the work they do.

Frank
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

My greatest concern is not draining the battery but more of leaving the GPS on the bike (very expensive - more then a new battery) - I thinking that the light coming from the GPS will be bright enough so that at night - all tired from the road I would still see it and remember to take with me.

I could be wrong .... be happy to hear your thoughts 'bout that
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by arewethereyet View Post
Is your cooling fan not working or something.
Yes! the cooling system is fine and just dont like to keep the bike running long on idling as the temp here is hot. Fan will run at every traffic light stop. So the cooling system is Ok, just dont like idling the bike.( see the V manual on idling time).

Thanks for watching my back anyway.

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 10:23 PM

Garage
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibonneau View Post
My greatest concern is not draining the battery but more of leaving the GPS on the bike (very expensive - more then a new battery) - I thinking that the light coming from the GPS will be bright enough so that at night - all tired from the road I would still see it and remember to take with me.

I could be wrong .... be happy to hear your thoughts 'bout that
I never take my GPS off the bike. There is a "key" thing that is needed to get it out of the GPS mount. With the Motowerk mount it is tucked behind the windscreen, so that you need to remove the screen in order to remove the GPS from the holder.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 07:24 AM

I've got a similar setup with a Garmin 265WT in a MotoWerk/Ram Mount setup.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...7&postcount=14

Unless I'm particularly worried about a particular parking area, I leave it on the bike but I use a small black drawstring bag to cover the GPS and mount.

Out-of-sight/out-of-mind.

Of course my GPS was only US$ 150, so replacement isn't a wallet breaker.

A2ron
Charleston, SC
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2010, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
I wired my GPS to the LH running light wires, it was the closest most convenient source. Power and ground. It comes on with ignition. No problems so far. GPS uses very little current, the cable that came with the GPS has an inline fuse. This is an old Garmin 2610.
ME too!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode