Is there much nicer than a new set of meats and a clean bike. - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Time
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Is there much nicer than a new set of meats and a clean bike.

I dumped the Bridgestones for a set of Michelin Pilot Road 4s, I'd use many sets of PR2 in the past and like them so I thought I'd join the 20th century. And while the bike was up on the stands I had a good go with the soapy water, rags, cleaners and wax. I'd been offered a fair amount by a dealer (not my dealer but one I stop in every once in awhile) on a 2017 650 Versys and I'd been thinking about it BUT my 2012 looks so spiffy and shiny that I couldn't trade it now.

Anyway I need a new car and I'm going to order a Subaru Crosstrek next month, they can't take an order until then on the new 2018. Nice thing is for a little baby SUV it will tow a 1,500 load, I don't know of any others in this class that will, and I was gifted a folding motorcycle trailer so I need a car that'll tow it.

It looks like LED headlight would be a major PITA to get in as there isn't much room in the little headlight fairing. So I think I pick some SilverStars as I've used them and they are much brighter than stock.

Next up is a set of Spiegler SS brake lines.

Mark
weljo2001 likes this.

Or was that look THEN leap?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2012 650 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 04:40 PM

I'm puttin PR 4's on my 650 for a trip out west. What kind of pressure do you run?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
FWIW - ever since I picked up the '08 V in Sept, '08, on the advice of their mechanic I've run 36F and 42R, on ALL my bikes, all my tires, and that includes full-knobbies...!

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-24-2017, 11:01 AM

Thanks Fasteddie
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

I run 36 rear, 32 front and it works for me. BUT I will change to meet the situation as needed. The few times I've on dirt I lower the psi and when I haul a heavier load I pumped them up a bit more, mainly the rear.

I fine too little and the bike wallows like a pig and too much and it'll skate as the tires will chatter in the turns on rough back roads I run. You need to play around a bit to find what work best for you. A good gage and a notebook and track your changes so you can "Home In" and you'll get there in a week or so...until the weather changes then it be add or bleed to get back in the groove.

2012 650 Versys

Last edited by Time; 05-25-2017 at 07:08 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time View Post
I run 36 rear, 32 front and it works for me. BUT I will change to meet the situation as needed. The few times I've on dirt I lower the psi and when I haul a heavier load I pumped them up a bit more, mainly the rear.

I fine too little and the bike wallows like a pig and too much and it'll skate as the tires will chatter in the turns on rough back roads I run. You need to play around a bit to find what work best for you. A good gage and a notebook and track your changes so you can "Home In" and you'll get there in a week or so...until the weather changes then it be add or bleed to get back in the groove.
"Airing-down" CAN lead to busted wheels. jdrocks rides MUCH dirt/ gravel, runs 36F and 42R like I do, and does NOT air-down.
onewizard likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 03:29 PM

Got em at about 42r and 36f depending on which gauge I use. My compressor gauge reads different from my other one. Got about 60 miles in on my local twisties this morning and the PR 4's have better grip than the Dunlops. Leaving for Bend, OR next Friday from Indiana so I'll have a better idea on how well they do. Should be around 5k mile trip.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 05:16 AM

Danm where in SE Indiana are you exactly? Im not too far over into Ohio, just east of Dayton.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackImpact View Post
Danm where in SE Indiana are you exactly? Im not too far over into Ohio, just east of Dayton.
You're not near Payne, Ohio are you? I've been through there many times even bought a Parrot from a lady there.

2012 650 Versys
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

I out on the bike and new tires a few times now, more that enough to scrub them in. They work well, stick good and no surprises. Now to see how many miles they return. I did notice all the little sipes pick up small bit of gravel that I end up picking out after a ride.

2012 650 Versys
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 06:21 PM

I'm in Lawrenceburg just west of Cincy.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-30-2017, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-O58 View Post
I'm in Lawrenceburg just west of Cincy.
Dan and Jack. I'm in Cincinnati. If you guys ever want to try and meet one S or SU, I can come your way, or vice versys. We have a pretty neat Coffee and Cars thing down here on S mornings, and a lot of bikes show up. Then my friend and I either head downtown by the river and next to the Reds stadium for a cold one, or go the other way out to the Quaker Steak for lunch.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 07:20 AM

Rayj I'd like to come down to the car show sometime. Where is it held?
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 04:42 PM

It's a place called Fuel Coffee located on 2726 Riverside Dr. (old Eastern Ave.), 45202. It's about 3 miles east of downtown and happens every Saturday there is good weather. I think the official hours are 8 - 12, but I like to make an entrance around 10. Lots of cars and bikes, but the bikes are not being shown off like the some of the cars. Mostly a non HD crowd. If you come into town call me on my cell at 513-706-6042.

rayj
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-O58 View Post
.... Leaving for Bend, OR next Friday from Indiana so I'll have a better idea on how well they do...
Have a great, and post some pictures on here while your out there.

rayj
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode