Down to one FINE motorcycle.... V - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Down to one FINE motorcycle.... V

Well my wife thought it would never happen. I have only one motorcycle in my garage. It seem a bit sad. I've had the pleasure these past few years to own, ride and nurture a few very nice motorcycles.......

03 SV650N, 96 PC800, 98 PC800, 98 R1200C, 06 DL1000, 03 Capanord, 03 SV1000N, 86 K75C, 07 GT1000, 09 650R, 08 DRZ400, 98 ST1100, 08 Versys, 09 Versys, 09 KLX250s

Multiple bikes seems to satifies so many needs and desires.The combination was usually broad....DRZ/PC800 or SV1000N/R1200C and finally the 09KLX250S/09Versys. It's been a great pleasure to open the garage and look inside and have to "choose". My riding over the past 10 years has been 90% commuting to and from Seattle and cruising with buddies on a rare couple hundred mile trips. I'm not a great rider and my enjoyment factor is always limited to the time allowed. I do remember a time a few years ago when my wife was ill and my business was struggling that I found great comfort at the end of the work day, getting on my 86 K75c to go see my wife at Swedish Hospital. I felt totally at ease. The K bike was my only outlet at the time. It seemed to take me away for a brief moment where I could feel only acceptance of what ever was to come my(our) way. Strange I don't normally think in those terms but being on two wheels, riding through the Arboredum in Seattle on a stunning 20+ year old motorcycle was the medicine I needed to stay strong. I'm proud to say my wife is fine and strong and business couldn't be better. Wish I still had that K though. I say that about all my bikes.

I had a Versys on 2008 and really loved the utility aspect of the bike....lightweight, upright, torquey, low cost, lots of aftermarket toys to add. It was one of the most interesting bikes I've owned. I sold it thinking I needed something bigger. How many of us have said that before? I sold it to a nursing student from Utah who flew in during a snow storm with only a leather jacket and jeans . That's ok, I growing up surfing the Jersey Coast in 30 degree waters. Now that's cold. Anyway, he ended up staying for a week until the weather broke. Honestly, it never really broke but he had to leave anyway. While stranded here, he was one lucky guy. He lived in a brand new cottage I built on my property while waiting for an oppurtunity to ride home. He survived the trip and am sure he graduated because of all the quality time he had here studying.

I chose the V again because I really could not find a motorcycle that had all the variations of riding that the V maintained. Generally, I'm a practical guy (that explains the PC800s) and over the years I have found that smaller bikes are more practical and easier to maintain. They match my riding style well. I matched the V up with a 09 KLX250S I found locally. That bike, for a thumper was very nice indeed. I could not get over how much more enjoyable and smoother it was compared to my DRZ which was the coolest DRZ out there. The problem with the DRZ it just vibrated my nuts and low back to the point of WTF. I would feel it for days after riding that bike. But once again, wish it was in my garage. I said goodbye three weeks ago to the KLX250s only because I found the cold blooded motor to be a pain in the ass. I have no patience to wait for things to "really" warm up. So I sold. The gentlemen that bought her is a retired man with years of experience on dirt and thumpers. He is very psyched and certainly has more patence then I.

Now it is time to really see what it is like to live with the V. She's got 5k miles on her. Will I get bored and crave more of something? Sure, always have and always will. But I have to say I'm not going there. The V today is one of few bikes in the U.S. that offers everything from sport riding to adventure touring with the rare and occasional need for dirt. I'm not getting the markets desire for bigger(1200cc) and more technical bikes The V has it all and at a price and reliabilty my wife can't yell about. I have tricked my V out and it is ready for the 90% commuting and the rare long trip with friends. I love openning my garage now and not have to make any choices other than which jacket or helmet. JUST RIDE.

Yep, alot of great memories with all those bikes . But the future will have to be with the V. Now that I have extended the warranty for 4 more years. I think it's going to be a long term relationship. She's going to stay and be well respected and on occasion I hope to throw on a aftermarket "something" I can't live without. I can't image anything else I can do to her. She's perfect after taking all those suggestions on this forum. Some incredible bikes on this forum...You guys got skills. Anyway, that's all I got. I love my V. I love living simply and I love the memories. Ride safe, ride well and ride often.

Last edited by josh; 11-13-2010 at 05:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 10:43 AM

Nice story!

2009 GREEN Kawasaki Versys

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Very nice write up friend and wish you all the best for the years to come and trust you will enjoy the V more since you have only got her as your only companion now.

All the best and thanks for sharing your wonderful life with us.

&

Ride well and be safe.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 10:53 AM

Garage
Sometimes less is more, and all you need.

I see that you are becoming more content with the world.

It is a nice feeling

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 11:44 AM

Thanks josh for taking the time to write that up. I too have have gone through a few bikes over the years and currently am torturing myself over a Versys or naked liter bike. I keep checking this site and it is nice to see how much this bike is sung high praises.

I recently sold my dirt bike and have shifted focus towards the street in the past 5 years. Each year averaging about 9,000 miles of commuting and playing during the "riding window" here in WA state.

It is threads like this that will push me over the edge to go and get that closeout blue 2009 model at the dealer!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 12:31 PM

Garage
Bearcat: Go for it!

You won't be dissapointed.

From just north fo the WA boarder.

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 12:34 PM

Thanks for the great story. I've had my 09 green Versys for nearly a year. Just added hand grip warmers to stay comfortable on the warmer days. Been thinking about a liter bike (Diavel, Street Triple) but I have'nt found anything they add to the V that I can use.

Your story is motivation to just stay with my V.

Like bigaussie said, looks like here that less is more, and all I need.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 01:47 PM

Well said, Ross! Thanks for taking the time to post this up.

I feel the same, I had 4 bikes in the Garage going into last winter, and this winter down to two. I still have my old KLR, but i haven't put even 500 miles on it this year; not much need for a "B" bike when the "A" bike is as good as the Versys.
I thought it would be the Bad weather bike, but recently put the hugger and fender extender on the Vs; rainy rides seem better now with the tire spray more controlled. I feel more confident on the Vs, and it's still a lot more fun to ride, even in the wet.
I guess I'd still need it for that Baja trip... next year. But maybe not; I'd need to do a bunch of work on it if I was gonna take it back down there. I'd want to trailer it to San Diego, so the logistics get more complicated...

That's it, you talked me into selling the KLR!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 02:54 PM

I came from the BMW side of the motorcycle world, most recently having sold my '02 K12RS (last month) and a cherry '96 R11GS last year. Though both were great bikes, I always found myself looking for something lighter and more carefree than the BMW.
With the K bike, I had 140+ hp on tap which was impressive, but the '10 V was more fun overall for the backroad riding I do in northern California. The GS was more V-like, but after I low-sided (due to the dealer leaving enough brake fluid on the hub to travel down to the tread after a major service) I lost confidence in their competence as a dealership and lost patience with LARGE maintenance and repair costs (a new cluth replacement, on a bike with 7500 miles, was estimated at $2400 because a seal had allowed oil to coat the dry clutch).
Bottom line is the bottom line. The Versys is a not only a great value, but more than enough bike for this former BMW (and Ducati) owner. And yes, I'll be doing my own maintenance from now on now that I have more time and an approachable bike to work on.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 04:18 PM
cls

I have sold many to come down to the V as my one pure street bike, as well. I still have dirt and d-s, but the V does the public road too well to really need anything else. I've had my extreme fun. Settling down isn't so bad. Great bike.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigaussie View Post
Sometimes less is more, and all you need.

Best quote I have heard to describe the V in a long time. Nicely said.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh View Post
I matched the V up with a 09 KLX250S I found locally. That bike, for a thumper was very nice indeed.
I am keeping my eyes open for a KLX250SF or a Yamaha WR250X for an in town play toy. Love riding 250cc bikes but don't enjoy them for really long rides or above 55MPH. I enjoy these most near town and running errands.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 09:37 PM

Well said, Josh.

Your story struck several familiar chords with me. I have ranged from having one bike in the garage to three, but even when it was more than one, those bikes were never redundant. Each one provided distinctly different sensations, lent itself to distinctly different uses. To each his own... but for me, that was the key to satisfaction. And the Versys covers wide ground.

I've also been there and felt those feelings about wondering what the future would bring. Within six months of my wedding, my wife couldn't stay at our apartment because the single flight of stairs to the second floor was too much for her. I've spent those long hours in a hospital waiting room, and know how they can feel endless.

I'm glad you emerged to the other side in good shape. I'm happy to say we did, too.

And I know how a few stolen moments of happiness aboard the bike can mean so much in those circumstances.

Didn't mean to go on for so long.

Thanks for your post.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
I am keeping my eyes open for a KLX250SF or a Yamaha WR250X for an in town play toy.
Don't know what the market has to offer near you, Capn, but I have seen new leftover KLX250SFs for sale near me for as low as $2999! Brand new! I've been sorely tempted to buy one even though I have absolutely no need for another bike. But they're such a screaming deal! And imagine how much more they'll cost when gasoline hits $5/gallon.

Whitehorse Press is going out of business so it's time for a final sale. Signed copies of my book are now $10 with free shipping in the U.S. while they last.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 09:48 PM
cls

That's how I ended up w/an '09 KLX250S. The deal was just too good. It worked out very well, as it's a quite good dirty d-s. I like it well better than the WR250X I had. The WR was stronger, faster, higher tech, and higher grade, but it just didn't do it for me. It always felt like it was trying too hard. Who knows?
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motociclista View Post
Don't know what the market has to offer near you, Capn, but I have seen new leftover KLX250SFs for sale near me for as low as $2999! Brand new!
At that price, I might borrow a truck and drive! Feel free to post em when you see em again.. Thanks!
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

I sold a 09 with 600 miles with Muzzy full exhuast,jetted, airbox mod, bar risers, MSR skid plate, SW-Motech radiator guard, rear rack , new MT21, Acebis handguards for $3500. Sweet deal for him. These bikes are nice but they do benefit tremendously from the mods. IMHO as a former owner look used and improved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode